The SecurityArms Message Forum

The SecurityArms Message Forum (http://securityarms.com/forums/index.php)
-   Amateur Radio (http://securityarms.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   What, am I the only ham here? (http://securityarms.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1266)

Dolphin_Shooter 01-26-2007 06:28 PM

What, am I the only ham here?

We'll besides TJ? anyone have any radios for deal?I'm looking for a 2 meter 440 handheld!

PT-The Italian Commie 01-27-2007 11:34 AM

I have a question.

How is the radio-amateur activity regulated there in the USA? Here in Italy, simple Walkie-Talkies are free to acquire and use but higher-powered radios (like vehicle CBs, etc.) need a license (nothing hard, just fill a form and pay a tax), and all apparels that might allow you to sneak into Police/Military/Emergency line are off-limits for civvies.

Dolphin_Shooter 01-28-2007 06:22 PM

FRS type radios are unregulated

as are CB Radios, everything else Takes a Amatuer Radio liscense
witch is not that hard to get you just have to study enough to pass a test.
You can take the test online untill you can pass it everytime!

Darla 02-02-2007 09:34 AM

Would you like a trivia radio?

1 Attachment(s)
Here is an unusual transmitter from my small collection. Can you name what it is?

Dolphin_Shooter 02-02-2007 07:29 PM

Well..... glad to see you!

I've been wondering how you've been doing. Long time no hear from!
I have no idea what that is.I've only hauled around PRC-77's and PRC-25's
and thats been a dam long time ago.I saw a Manuel at Universal Radio all about US Military Radios I almost picked it up.It was accually written in basic English rather than Milspeak.Kind pricey though.I'm picking up a Yaesu VX-170 once they gett'em in stock. We had a vehicale slid off the side of a hill in the Zaleski state forest while hunting wild boar the guy could'nt get no cell reception.and had to walk 6 miles into town.Good thing no one was hurt.They could have froze to death before anyone found'em.So its kinda renewed my interest in Ham Radio Still have my license so I might as well take advantage of it.
I hope things are going well with your efforts. Its seems our president is doing everything in his power bring about failure! best of luck to you Darla
try to post more often I for one miss your insite on things!

TJ 02-03-2007 03:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darla
Here is an unusual transmitter from my small collection. Can you name what it is?

Looks like one of those KGB units they left hidden all over the place in Europe back in the 70's? Seem to recall they had an explosive pack on them to discourage the curious like the GPS satellite units from back in the day. Not that I would know about that, just heard about it from a friend whose cousins second wifes inbred brother might have mentioned in passing.

Now here is an interesting little gem. Any guesses who built it?

PT-The Italian Commie 02-03-2007 03:48 PM

I'ts all squiggly lines! :D

TJ 02-03-2007 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PT-The Italian Commie
I'ts all squiggly lines! :D

You dummy! You should be the first one to know who the manufacturer is. It was made in Italy.

Dolphin_Shooter 02-04-2007 07:00 AM

I've never seen this stuff

at any of the Ham swap meets, Not even the big Dayton Hamvention.
I bet the storys on how you aquired this stuff is proably more interesting than the Radio's themselves!

Edmond 11-01-2008 12:51 PM

Re: Would you like a trivia radio?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darla

Transmitter or just an antenna tuner?