Thread: Uh-oh...
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2010
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Default Re: Uh-oh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-The Italian Commie
Successor to Kim Jong-Il will be Kim Jong-Un, not Kim Jong-Nam, who's currently living a rich playboy life in PRC.

Yeah, I realized that a bit late . Too bad it's not Jong-nam - considering how lackadaisical he is, he might be a likely contender to try and open the country up. "Forget all this Juche crap and military-first nonsense, I want a goddamn Pyongyang Disneyland!".

Or, conversely, he'd make things fall apart through ineptitude and create a mess of epic proportions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Yankee (The Zionist)
If it escalates (which I'm sure it will, The North Korean leadership is fucking retarded) the south will bomb them into the stone age with their air power, and forget about it. This day has been coimg for a long time. I'm hoping this will finally be the end of a very obsolete regime that has been begging for someone to delete it.

Much as I'd like to agree, there have been multiple incidents like this between the North and South, and it still hasn't led to all out war. Bombings, special forces incursions, naval engagements, and so forth.

Again, in the South Korean context (and the context of this region of East Asia), flare ups like this are accepted. There's too much to lose for all involved. For China, the collapse of North Korea would be a humanitarian mess, a military mess, and it goes against their military and political goals (that is, having a buffer from the US, and also having the North to use against the South).

For the South, reunification is idealistically desired, but the economic and social costs of it would probably be tremendous - what would the south do with a population and land that is decades behind in technology, skills, education, and infrastructure, consisting of people who have been mentally, physically, and culturally shaped by decades of totalitarian government? And that's assuming a peaceful reunification occurs - one brought about through war is going to just be a nightmare for all concerned.

Japan probably wouldn't mind a reunified Korea, but they are within missile range of North Korea, and they would also probably be drug into any sort of humanitarian mess that would occur in the event of war.

And the US - well, much as we'd probably like to liberate North Korea (Yes? No?), our military is stretched thin, and we'd have to factor in not only the loss of our troops, but those of South Korea, plus the civilian casualties, plus the economic devastation it would bring, plus China's involvement, plus the regional instability it would cause...it'd be a mess, one that we don't want to voluntarily step into.

At some point, certainly, there has to be a resolution to the situation. But maintaining things as-is and waiting for a change in the winds to appear seems to be the safer course (for everyone, including the North Koreans), rather than a war that will ruin everything and kill a hell of a lot of people.