This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 10-25-2009
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Lightbulb On the subject of H&K...

...they launched at the DSEi expo (and to little fanfare) a "Sub-Compact" version of the HK-416; rumors are that it was made under British Army request, but my 2 (Euro)Cents are that it will be running as the US Army's new sub-compact weapon/PDW trial against Colt's SCW and Sigarms' SIG-516.

If you want your soldiers to be equipped with good weapons for the troubles to come, pray for a just consideration upon the Remington ACR.

REMOV's pics:

"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Last edited by PT-The Italian Commie : 10-25-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-25-2009

Send a message via AIM to D Yankee (The Zionist) Send a message via MSN to D Yankee (The Zionist) Send a message via Yahoo to D Yankee (The Zionist)
Cool I have to admit....

the damn thing is nice.

-- Charlton Heston, 1923-2008
Old 10-25-2009

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote
Default Re: On the subject of H&K...

I'm a bit surprised with machined metal rail system, making at least part of it in polymer to save weight makes sense. I'd even suggest going in a Carbon 15 direction for the whole thing. As a PDW its comparison is to pistols and SMG's, weight and size are far more important than accuracy past 100 yards.

Even having a quad rail system at all on PDW's in their standard configuration is a bit questionable to me. Given the intent is to have something in a holster or on a rack to be used in rare instances by non-dedicated-infantry, high levels of customization seem a little unnecessary. (Now I think the option should exist, I'm talking about general issue configuration.) More important is putting a good dot optic on it, improving effectiveness in less intensively trained shooters, and a folding foregrip. A JPoint-style would be ideal for the site.

Very useful would be a rack system that accepts power from a vehicle and maintains the batteries in a ready state while monitoring when the rechargeable batteries hit end-of-life and need replacement. Induction should work well, removing external contacts and allowing better sealing on the electronics.

A person convinced that the ends justify the memes.