This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 11-22-2006
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Cool Politically Incorrect, Italian Wins Award in Iran

Alessandro Gatto sent cartoon to Holocaust competition promoted by President Ahmadinejad. “I’ve never been anti-Semitic”.

“First of all, I’d like to say…”. Please do. “I’m not anti-Semitic. I’ve got nothing against the Jews, quite the reverse”.Quite the reverse?“I’ve just been to Auschwitz, where I visited the concentration camp.What I saw left me speechless”. Your reporter is a little surprised.He was not expecting self-styled artist and humorist, Alessandro Gatto, 49, to agree when he was asked to explain why he sent a Holocaust cartoon to the competition promoted in Tehran by the Iranian president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad. “I was invited”, says Mr Gatto on the telephone. “I get requests from all over the world.I decide whether to take part or not on a case by case basis”.This time, he had no doubts. “Yes”, he says at once, a slight accent revealing that he comes fromCastelfranco Veneto, in the province of Treviso. “I thought the subject proposed by the Iranians was particularly stimulating. It gave me the chance to express my thoughts without feeling that I was taking a stance on one side or the other. You see, I’m neither rightwing nor leftwing, let that be clear. But I do adore everything that’s politically incorrect”.

So the cartoon went offto Tehran, where it was prominently displayed on the Iraniancartoon.com site for a few weeks, alongside other entries, which would not have been out of place in a collection of Nazi propaganda,showing ruthless, hook-nosed Jewish warmongers.Mr Gatto did not win, but he did get an award. “Three gold coins, a cup and an honourable mention”.His cartoon shows a prisoner’s jacket with a window cut into the back, barred with blue and white stripes.Behind it is the sad face of a Palestinian prisoner. The judges in Iran liked it.Is Mr Gatto happy?“I found out about the prize the other day”, he says. I was in Athens for another award.Obviously, I was pleased”.

But the Italian cartoonist, who until yesterday was unknown to the general public (“I make a living from my work as an artist”) rejects objections in the name of good taste. “In Tehran”, he says with conviction, “the organisers proposed, provocatively, a highly controversial topic:talking about the Holocaust. The word appears to be taboo. I claim the freedom to express my thoughts”.

He got it. But does Mr Gatto not think he went too far?“No.Why?I’ve been to Auschwitz. I’ve been in those huts.I’ve felt the sense of absolute pain. For the cartoon, I used the symbol of a Jew’s dirty, torn jacket. That jacket should help me to understand the pain experienced by other people, the civilian Arab and Palestinian population of Gaza, the Territories and Lebanon. In other words, the Jews were the victims of a diabolical strategy of extermination. But occupying the Territories is an equally devious, Machiavellian strategy”.

Neither does he have any doubts about the appropriateness of submitting a cartoon to a competition with a clear political agenda.“I answer only for my work. I am the first to condemn the other cartoons that were entered for the competition. But I want to be free to say to the Israeli government:remember that jacket”.

Paolo Salom

../
... .. -. -.-
Old 11-22-2006

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

Politically incorrect and taboo in the west maybe, but he has no clue what's politically incorrect and taboo IN IRAN does he? Maybe he should have considered that when he entered the cartoon... if he wants to be an obnoxious prick to his audience that's fine. But he wasn't being that to his audience in this case.

This would be like Tyler defending using the word "nigger" because it got us upset. And then using that to defend saying that at a KKK rally... it's not getting THAT group upset, it's exactly what they want to hear.

In which case, WHY is this cartoonist defending telling bigots what they want to hear?

A person convinced that the ends justify the memes.
Old 11-22-2006
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoyote
In which case, WHY is this cartoonist defending telling bigots what they want to hear?

Becuase he's a closet Nazi and/or Muslim?

If he loves doing things "Politically Incorrect", why can't he make a cartoon showing Tehran going up in a mushroom cloud?

Or Mecca getting soaked by a rain of pigs blood?

Or Mohammed making out with a Jewish woman?

Thought not.

Maybe rather than "politically incorrect" he means "kafir incorrect"?

Besides, unlike the above examples, if he makes fun of Jews and the holocaust, it isn't like we're going to shoot/stab/blow up/beat him to death.

Now, where did I put my Jew Claw™?
Old 11-22-2006

Send a message via AIM to D Yankee (The Zionist) Send a message via MSN to D Yankee (The Zionist) Send a message via Yahoo to D Yankee (The Zionist)
Default Pffft...

I'm sure PT is coordinating his defense right about now.

-- Charlton Heston, 1923-2008
Old 11-23-2006

Talking Dead wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Yankee (The Zionist)
I'm sure PT is coordinating his defense right about now.

I am not giving a shit about this Mr. Gatto and his award in Iran anyway. I am too busy writing two articles to be sent in before the end of next week.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack