This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 09-22-2010
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Question Item TRIVIA!

Who guesses what this little neat thing is?

Oh, and, YES, I own it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trivia!.jpg (11.6 KB, 9 views)
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 09-22-2010

Default Re: Item TRIVIA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-The Italian Commie
Oh, and, YES, I own it...

I know you do because its not MINE .
Old 09-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenadier Toebanger
I know you do because its not MINE .

Oh, yeah, it's MINE...

And more specifically?
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 09-25-2010

Is it a Italian Maus?
Old 09-25-2010

Default No, not a MAUS...

Italian, though...

TECNOVAR VAR/40

The VAR/40, launched in 1971 by TECNOVAR ITALIANA S.p.A. of Bari, formerly known as VALSELLA SUD, south-Italian division of the VALSELLA MECCANOTECNICA S.p.A. factory of Brescia (by itself a well-known manufacturer of antipersonnel landmines) is an small antipersonnel landmine, designed to be carried by individual soldiers and hand laid. It was initially produced for the Italian army, and was exported to a large number of countries, including Thailand, Iraq and Turkey. The VAR-40 was, in fact, the first ever antipersonnel blast mine to be manufactured by TECNOVAR ITALIANA S.p.A. after the split from VALSELLA.

The body of the VAR/40 is circular with a ribbed plastic body split into upper and lower halves. The upper half holds the pressure sensitive fuze mechanism, which is covered by a truncated rubber cone. The fuze is covered by a safety cap that prevents accidental activation. The safety cap also has a threaded well, which holds the detonator during transit.

The mine is armed by transferring the detonator from the fuze cap to the well in the base of the mine, the safety cap is then removed to reveal a pressure plate protected by the rubber cone. Pressure on said central pressure plate compresses the spring until it is the pressure is enough to shear the plastic retaining pins.

It is a minimum metal design, as the detonation pin is in fact the only metal part of the entire system, all the rest made out of thermoplastic or rubber. It employs no fragmentation jacket, as its main purpose is to wound and maim, rather than to kill instantly, and for said purpose the detonation force of the 40 grams of explosive payload and the plastic shrapnel are well enough. The VAR/40 Is normally deployed with the main body underground with the raised pressure fuze protruding above ground. The mine can be also considered "amphibious", as it can be laid underwater and doesn't float, and thus can be deployed on shallow waters and on beaches to obstruct enemy landings and to counter infiltrations by hostile saboteurs. It is moderately resistant to overpressure due to the small surface area of the pressure fuze.

The mine is no longer in production and the whole operational stock of VAR/40 landmines in possession of the Italian Armed Forces (1,420,636 samples, according to the registry of landmines inventory published by the Italian Ministry of Defense on 10/10/2002) has been fully destroyed in compliance with the Ottawa Treaty, exception made for an uncertain number of samples that have rather been made permanently inert and are currently used to train the new generation of Italian Army sappers/minesweepers who operate in areas where the VAR/40 is known to have been deployed.

TECHNICAL SPECS:
Name: VAR/40
Type: Antipersonnel blast mine
Manufacturer: TECNOVAR ITALIANA S.p.A., Bari - Italy
Height: 45 millimetres
Diameter: 78 millimetres
Weight: 100 grams
Payload: 40 grams of RDX explosive
Operating pressure: 12 kilograms for 0,04 seconds

PHOTOS:

The TECNOVAR VAR/40 landmine in my hand, the safety screw-on cap in place. The blue plug is where the detonator should be in the transport mode. The blue colour of the plug indicates that this is a factory-inert training sample.

Safety cap removed to show the truncated rubber cone that protects the pressure plate. Once again, note the blue dot on the body of the mine that indicates its trainer nature.

Small dimensions: the TECNOVAR VAR/40 landmine with the safety cap removed, in size comparaison with a .50-BMG/12'7x99mm case (left) and a full-size Zippo lighter (right).

The mine disassembled, showing the empty space where the explosive payload would be hosted, the "detonator", and the two plastic retains (in green and red) that would rupture under pressure, releasing the metal pin upon the detonator.

Last edited by PT-The Italian Commie : 09-26-2010 at 07:13 AM.