This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 05-13-2006
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Send a message via AIM to D Yankee (The Zionist) Send a message via MSN to D Yankee (The Zionist) Send a message via Yahoo to D Yankee (The Zionist)
Default Anyone seen Munich yet?

Saw it last night. One of the most powerfull and gripping films I have seen in years.

-- Charlton Heston, 1923-2008
Old 05-13-2006
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Yankee (The Zionist)
Saw it last night. One of the most powerfull and gripping films I have seen in years.

I thought it was a bunch of Hollywood BS. I don't think the team that hunted down the dirt bags was a bunch of simpering pansies like the ones depicted.
Old 05-13-2006

Send a message via AIM to D Yankee (The Zionist) Send a message via MSN to D Yankee (The Zionist) Send a message via Yahoo to D Yankee (The Zionist)
Default Well...

In all fairness, yes it was very Hollywood, the difference is. The men hunting the dirt bags were good people. Further more, devout Jews. Men of strong conviction, but men of compassion as well. At the end of the day, it's hard for a good man to deal with splattering someone's head with an Uzi. Hey I like nothing more than to watch a scumbag get mowed down in a hail of 9x19s. But the fact remains, killing hurts the souls of good men. I don't care who you're killing. It's not a game, and it's not fun.

-- Charlton Heston, 1923-2008
Old 05-14-2006
Administrator

Like I said, they were portrayed as a bunch of simpering pansies which I'm sure they weren't or they would not have had the job.
Old 05-14-2006

Default I agree 100% on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Yankee (The Zionist)
The fact remains, killing hurts the souls of good men. I don't care who you're killing. It's not a game, and it's not fun.

I couldn't agree less than 100% on this. Like I always said: killing is -BAD- and will remain deeper as a wound into your soul forever. The reason why people should always be ready to react against an attack is that, yes, killing a rapist that enters your home will hurt you because all in all you'll have killed a human being, but the remorse will be mitigated by the consciousness of having acted as a last option to safeguard the lives of your beloved (rather than living forever with the remorse of having been there and didn't have acted at all).
The fact that you killed, it still remains. Ask any "professional" (Police, SWAT, Military, etc.): when you're there, it's you or them; or, even worse, YOU or THEM or the INNOCENTS around. You'd give your life to protect the innocents, you'd take away the life of a bad man to save the innocents. Nonetheless, it's not little the number of those "professionals" who pass most of the times praying God to be forgiven for all the kills they have made.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 05-14-2006

But all of that doesn't matter if you're "pathic" .

Haven't seen it, maybe I will, down the line.
Old 05-14-2006

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

I agree about killing anything... in a way kills a part of yourself with it. I've noticed this with animals and it's why I can't go hunting as sport. It's just not fun for me. I don't need for the food so I don't go through all that trouble. I've put down enough mortally injured creatures and cleared overcrowded game populations already. I don't need to go looking for to kill stuff.

But that's also why I doubt the people used to do this job would act the way I'm guessing they did in a Hollywood movie. A lot of antagonizing over the action BEFORE the kill, am I right? One thing I have realized about doing anything like that is that if the person isn't a sociopath they can't do that and be effective. Other forms of coping behaviors would be more likely before the killings. They aren't going to sit around moralizing over the action beforehand. The people chosen for these sort of tasks would either be sociopaths or people who can focus so they can perform actions without thinking. The second type wouldn't be able to consider all the morality without it having a slight paralyzing effect; the first type wouldn't give a damn about morals anyway. AFTERWARDS though... all bets are off as far as the second types go.