This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 11-30-2007
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Armorer
Default I got ripped off

MK23's been keeping up with me on this little saga, but after a week-- I'm finally letting the cat outta the bag to ask ya'll for help spreadin the word on a major asshole thief...
The short version of the story:
Hard up and looking to rid myself of a dissapointing Kimber pistol-- I rashly made a choice to offer the seller Mac3006 (Real name Jack Eppes-- owner of Fort Jacks in Buffalo Texas) a trade for a Safari Arms government model he had listed.
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=85061900
Despite the fact my pistol was 70%-- he readily agreed.
A week after sending him my gun, his arrived-- and I was immediately taken aback.
As you will note-- his gun was advertised as 93-90% and mentioned nothing in the way of any work having been done to the gun. When I called him to make my offer, he assured me that the gun was stock, the slide was tight, and there was only minor wear to the finish.
What I found can only be described as a 1911's nightmare:
The factory bushing had been replaced, the slide tapped, and a Belhert Beryllium-Copper bushing in its place.
The ejection port flare he'd sworn was factory done, was infact, a dremel jockey's worst attempt.
The factory barrel had been swapped for a springfield-- noticeable by the typical roll stamps, althought the barrel link is obviously neither of Schutzen/Safari or Springfield make.
In replacing the barrel, the backwoods butcher found the slide off battery as is typical-- but instead of properly fitting the barrel legs to allow for the .005 overhang, he again, used a dremel to maul the gun, so much so that the ejector now sticks out of the back of the gun by a good 3/16th inch...and as a result, he'd even cut into the gripsafety tangs.
The thumbsafety had been disabled.
What's worse is the galling-- someone tried to peen the frame for a better fit-- however, the metal along the top of the frame and inside the rails looks like a bunch of sand dunes.

The gun is by now almost below what I would consider 30% and would cost me more than a new pistol to repair.
I very kindly tried to explain this to the guy, who became very beligerent and made some pretty hefty threats. As I have come to find out-- this is not something new for this guy as he expected to hear from me. We'd agreed that should either party be dissatisfied, then he'd undo the trade. He immediately denied such an agreement, and refused undo the trade.
I've contacted Andy at OlyArms, and should be hearing back from him tomorrow.
I'm embroiled with GunBroker, trying to get the guy's account suspended for misrepresenting items for sale and NRA grade, as well as bait and switch.
I have been actively discussing this thoroughly with other members of the 1911forums.com crew-- You can read that discussion here:
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=186050
TJ-- if you've got any advice on how to make something out of this, please-- I'm desperate for help.
Here's pics of the damage:

After a week in my home shop-- it's back to something of working order. I've replaced the disabled safeties, the sear; tightened the slide in my vice, and used a bit of lapping compound to smooth out the action. From a rest I can get about a 3-4" group at 25yards-- a far cry from the unsafe POS that arrived.
Still-- nothing can be done to bring up the resale value without exceeding the cost of a new gun. Even if I fitted a new upper assembly-- I'd still be pumping more than what's reasonable into a gun that'll never bring me more'n 500 in LNIB condition. At this point, I'd consider it a small win if I make 300.

The story gets better--
I talked to olympic arms today-- their head pistolsmith Rick gave me the lowdown on this particular Franken-11.
This is no Safari Arms pistol--
It's a home-bolted nightmare--
Evidently back in '96 as OlyArms got fed up with the company who was making their cast frames: Dolphin.
The last batch was terrible-- about half were below spec and OlyArms was going to be sending them to the smelter when this guy down in Houston, Tx; called and offered to buy up the surplus of reject frames.
After sending him a truckload of the off-spec frames, they never got paid--the guy dropped off the face of the planet.
About two years later, a mess of badly made guns began showing up-- they were mixed bag monsters-- sometimes using wilson parts and Sistema barrels, sometimes Springfield and colt.
only one thing stayed consistent-- the people were getting them out of a pawnshops and such around the Houston greater area. In the last several years, they'd been able to track them back to Fort Jack's-- the same store run by the Jack Eppes who ripped me off.
Unfortunately for Olympic, they could never prove any correlation between Jack Eppes and the frame thief.
Unfortunately for me, there's no record on grunbroker of a sale, so they can't do much for me-- the asshole misrepresented NRA grade and pulled a bait and switch--but even if I sued, there'd be nothing to gain. I'd be out my lawyers fees , for again, a gun that's maye worth 500 in the guy'ss proposed 90% condition.
What's more, the asshole made some pretty hefty threats--stating (and before I'd even mentioned suing him) that it'd be a matter of opinion on what the gun was really worth if I ried to take him to court.

Quote:
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping a human face...forever" ~George Orwell
Old 12-01-2007
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Send a message via AIM to D Yankee (The Zionist) Send a message via MSN to D Yankee (The Zionist) Send a message via Yahoo to D Yankee (The Zionist)
Default Re: I got ripped off

Leave him very bad feedback and spread the word at every message board you go to. Gunbroker used to be a great place to buy, sell and trade. I just got back into buying stuff on there when I got home from Benning. I too got ripped off. I'm done with internet purchases. My only advice on the gun would be to explain the entire situation and sell it at a loss. I've been there man, it sucks I know. But you'll find a buyer looking for a budget pistol.

-- Charlton Heston, 1923-2008
Old 12-01-2007

Send a message via AIM to D Yankee (The Zionist) Send a message via MSN to D Yankee (The Zionist) Send a message via Yahoo to D Yankee (The Zionist)

Stay away from Desert Outfitters as well. I picked up a yugoslavian SKS back in the summer of 06. It was described as NRA good condition with light wear. The fucking thing was so rusted and pitted I deemed it unsafe to fire. I can't in good concience sell it, so it now sits behind my bedroom door rotting.

Old 12-01-2007

I'd consider buying it just for the history of the firearm. I mean, it's hard to find something with a story like that outside of a war!

But I'm not in a position to make that purchase just yet. Still in Asia.
Old 12-01-2007

Default Only one thing to do

Take it to some major city gunshow and pawn it off on some of the darker Gang Bang brothers who troll gunshows.First grid off about 1/4 off the firing pin.If you hit it with a heavy buffer wheel and get it all shiney you could proably get $100 buck more out of it Put some pimpy 3 Karet Gold plating plated part on it and you could go $200 bucks over your asking price.Thats how we get rid of our junk here in Ohio
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 12-01-2007

Default Re: Only one thing to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin_Shooter
Take it to some major city gunshow and pawn it off on some of the darker Gang Bang brothers who troll gunshows.First grid off about 1/4 off the firing pin.If you hit it with a heavy buffer wheel and get it all shiney you could proably get $100 buck more out of it Put some pimpy 3 Karet Gold plating plated part on it and you could go $200 bucks over your asking price.Thats how we get rid of our junk here in Ohio

That's what I do when I go to Medina gunshows.

Old 12-03-2007
Administrator

Jesus you ask me for advice?

Wait till liberal dip shits have a gun buy back in your are and maybe you can get a $100 or so for it. Myself I would probably sell it to some mexican out behind the 711. Should be able to get a good 5 - 6 hundred for it after you point out all the fine custom features. If you put some of those fake plastic ivory grips on it with an inlaid gold cactus on one side and a buzzard eating a worm on the other side you can probably get an extra hundred for it.