Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 05-22-2006
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Default City crooks love S&W

City crooks love Smith & Wesson
.38 tops among 5,511 guns seized - half in Brooklyn

BY JESS WISLOSKI and ALISON GENDAR
DAILY NEWS WRITERS

The handgun of choice among criminals in New York City is a Smith & Wesson .38-caliber revolver - a compact but powerful weapon that fires five or six shots and sells for roughly $500.
The revolver sits atop a long list of guns - dominated by inexpensive 9-mm. and .380-caliber Saturday night specials - seized from thugs in the city last year, the latest federal statistics revealed yesterday.
In all, 5,511 guns were taken off criminals in 2005, with Brooklyn accounting for nearly half of the weapons, more than any other borough, according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
The disturbing findings were among a torrent of statistics released yesterday by the feds as Mayor Bloomberg crusades to stop illegal interstate arms trafficking.
"They need to stop guns, they need to stop handguns. The only people that need handguns are the military and the police," said Edwin Guzman, whose 18-year-old daughter, Samantha Guzman, was shot dead in the Bronx on Mother's Day and buried yesterday. "You don't need them for hunting."
Absent from the latest federal statistics was information about where the illegal guns came from - data that the ATF is now barred from disclosing.
"That's the key piece of information that's missing," said Bloomberg spokeswoman Virginia Lam.
The National Rifle Association helped Rep. Todd Tiahrt (R-Kan.) draft legislation making the release of the information illegal. The measure passed in 2003 and was modified last year to be even stricter.
Bloomberg, who has made gun control a cornerstone of his second term, unleashed a civil lawsuit this week against 15 out-of-state gun dealers - responsible for selling some 500 guns that eventually were used in crimes on city streets.
The mayor hired a private investigation firm to conduct a sting operation to nab dealers in Georgia, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Virginia illegally selling handguns.
Woody's Pawnshop in Orangeburg, S.C., alone accounted for 98 guns used in New York crimes between March 1994 and October 2001. Some of the weapons took only three days to make the 700-mile trip.
"Sure, it's a local problem, but if there's guns from Virginia, there's obviously a bigger picture here," said Sam Reiff-Pasarew, 26, who lives on President St. in Crown Heights. Four men were shot to death on the Brooklyn street in separate slayings over a four-week period earlier this year.
While the number of guns seized in the city has plummeted from the 19,000 taken off the streets in 1990, hundreds of inexpensive weapons churned out by companies like Hi-Point, Raven and Bryco still end up here.
The cheapest guns sell for as little as $79 in Ohio, but fetch as much as $1,000 on the streets of New York.
"It's time somebody does something about it because there's a lot of people that are getting shot for no reason - like my little nephew," said Norma Navarro, 47, the great-aunt of 2-year-old David Pacheco Jr., who was killed Easter Sunday when a stray bullet ripped into his family's minivan.
"He's not supposed to be getting killed by guns."

Have gun - will travel

The most popular guns with criminals in the city:

- 1. Smith & Wesson .38 caliber: 236 guns
- 2. Hi-Point 9-mm: 199 guns
- 3. Smith & Wesson 9-mm: 134 guns
- 4. Raven .25 caliber: 123 guns
- 5. Bryco 9-mm: 122 guns
- 6. Bryco .380 caliber: 121 guns
- 7. Lorcin .380 caliber: 119 guns
- 8. Ruger 9-mm: 114 guns
- 9. Glock 9-mm: 109 guns
- 10. Mosseberg 12-gauge shotgun: 96 guns

A borough-by-borough breakdown of how many illegal guns were recovered in 2005

Brooklyn: 2,065
Bronx: 1,321
Queens: 1,123
Manhattan: 844
Staten Island: 158

The illegal guns were used to commit a variety of crimes. The most popular:

Criminal possession of a weapon: 60%
Murder: 2%
Robbery: 3%
Assault: 4%
Drug dealing: 8%

Source: Justice Department and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives
Originally published on May 20, 2006
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/stor...p-354144c.html
Old 05-22-2006
Administrator

$500 for a S&W .38? Thats a crime in and of itself.
Old 05-22-2006

Interesting. I don't see any AR-15s, AK-47s, or G3s in that list .

I guess criminals desire concealable firepower these days...
Old 05-22-2006

Default S&Ws

S&Ws are a crime unto themselves. Crap.

Quote:
Interesting. I don't see any AR-15s, AK-47s, or G3s in that list .

Don't think that'll stop 'em from trying to ban them, dude. Obviously, since gun grabs never go after 5-shot wheelguns, they aren't done for the purpose of reducing crime, but for the scoring of cheap, cynical political points.

Where in this article is there a qoute from someone advocating self-defense, or gun rights?

Oh...right.

If you can't beat them, join them. Then beat them. Barring that, arrange to have them beaten.
Old 05-22-2006

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

I find this part very interesting:

The illegal guns were used to commit a variety of crimes. The most popular:

Criminal possession of a weapon: 60%
Murder: 2%
Robbery: 3%
Assault: 4%
Drug dealing: 8%

Now, I'm not mathematician... but that's only 77% of the total and it goes as low as 2%, a good sign that other shares were not only smaller percentagewise but also less "shocking" like jaywalking or something.

Also notice that SIXTY percent, well over HALF, of the crimes were possession of a weapon. It's pretty circular logic to claim the weapon was being used to commit a crime when the possession was the crime. The crime can't be committed any other way, and it's not a crime in most places... so there's an irrelevant statistic. It'd be like saying "Marijuana is involved in a number of crimes, and 75% of those crimes are ILLEGAL USE OF MARIJUANA!" (crowd gasps) lol

Now I know, a bunch of times the possession charges are people they were trying to get for other crimes but couldn't get enough evidence, but not always. And likely not even the majority of the time. In fact, I'd even take a bet that at least a fifth of the people who committed "possession" weren't even aware the weapon they had was illegal and were generally law-abiding. Some guy moved to NYC from Pennsylvania and didn't know his old Mossberg hunting shotgun wasn't legal there, etc.

Also, I think what would shock and frighten a LOT of these people politically throwing these statistics around... if it were REALLY told where all those S&W .38 specials came from. I know for a fact a hell of a lot of them started life as... drumroll please.... police weapons.
Old 05-22-2006

Default heh...that reminds me of something

Quote:
Also, I think what would shock and frighten a LOT of these people politically throwing these statistics around... if it were REALLY told where all those S&W .38 specials came from. I know for a fact a hell of a lot of them started life as... drumroll please.... police weapons.

That reminds me of the Conan O'Brien sketch "In The Year 2000", where Conan "predicts" for the year 2000 (even after the year 2000), things that have already happened...

In the year 2000, you will be able to substitute "Glock 17s" for "S&W .38 specials" in the above quote.

If you can't beat them, join them. Then beat them. Barring that, arrange to have them beaten.
Old 05-23-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthulhu
Interesting. I don't see any AR-15s, AK-47s, or G3s in that list...

YEAH, that's RIGHT what I thought... but a second later I thought that it'd just be an occasion for the Antys to attempt a mass campaign for handguns ban...

I guess all the "dialogue" I can have with them is right here:
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 05-24-2006

Send a message via Skype™ to Red Neck64

Many honest people who live in New York City are armed.It is impossible for the common man too obtain a CCW in N.Y.C.,and only a fool would be out and about in the City unarmed .I carried for years when I lived in N.Y.C.with no CCW I was lucky I never got busted.