This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 05-20-2009
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Exclamation Ruger enters the AR-15 platform market.

The RUGER SR-556 is the new AR-based tactical carbine available on the market, piston-driven, with a 16,12" barrel with birdcage flash hider, and chambered in 5'56x45mm/.223-Remington caliber (by now). Uses 6-positions M4-style telescoping stock, TROY INDUSTRIES quad-rail with cover, flip-up iron sights, and is shipped with three 30-rds MagPul P-MAG magazines. MSRP goes about 1,995 US$ by now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger SR-556.jpg (76.9 KB, 14 views)
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 05-20-2009

Send a message via AIM to D Yankee (The Zionist) Send a message via MSN to D Yankee (The Zionist) Send a message via Yahoo to D Yankee (The Zionist)
Default Re: Ruger enters the AR-15 platform market.

Looks very nice

-- Charlton Heston, 1923-2008
Old 05-20-2009

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

It annoys me a little, when a company that can afford to innovate more than this instead essentially follows the crowd. I think there are more improvements they could have made.

A person convinced that the ends justify the memes.
Old 05-20-2009

Send a message via AIM to D Yankee (The Zionist) Send a message via MSN to D Yankee (The Zionist) Send a message via Yahoo to D Yankee (The Zionist)

What annoys me even more is how every damn weapon nowadays has a rail system and "add on iron sites". It's so trendy, and the lack of irons is just plain stupid. I'm surprised knives don't have rails on them.

Old 05-20-2009

True, it would be nice to see built-in flip ups, even if it was very simple fixed sights set at 100 yards or something. Shave some weight off. Also, I'm thinking that 4 rails in 90% of situations are superfluous. Weight savings could be made by eliminating the side rails, or at least eliminating all but the last couple inches at the end of the gun for side rails. Offset mounts combined with full length top and bottom rails can fit just about any necessary combination of gear.

Old 05-22-2009

Rugars just hoping to cash in on the Gun rush,as usal they are running behind
It seems the big rush on guns has finally slowed down everything is back in stock around here and the last Gun show was fairly dead.If only the ammo prices would drop we'd all be some happy peckerwoods!
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 05-22-2009

Dolphin's statement does make me wonder, just how many parts they are making themselves... and if they are basically slapping together 3rd party parts to put their name on to get some recognition from new buyers in the rush.

Old 05-22-2009

I could totally see that. Ruger to me has always meant quality, yet never meant state of the art. Seems to me they saw the demand for the AR platform and jumped onboard. Smart business move though. That thing looks just like the Colt M - 4 I'm carrying over here in the sandbox, and I'll bet it's just as unreliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoyote
Dolphin's statement does make me wonder, just how many parts they are making themselves... and if they are basically slapping together 3rd party parts to put their name on to get some recognition from new buyers in the rush.

Old 05-23-2009

My guess is that they are using TROY parts, period. As for reliability, well, the thing might be just as good as, to say, a Mini-14 or its select-fire/full-auto counterpart, the AC-556; and it's a piston-driven weapon, not a direct gas-impringment system, so reliability should be overly improved...
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack