This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 01-22-2007
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoyote
Quite a few of those things are already extant in the US.

The level of social security in the USA is still fairly low in comparaison with the one of Countries that have longtime adopted a social-democratic way, like, to say, Germany or Sweden.
Not that the situation in Italy is much better. But, to say, would the National Health-Care System of the USA pay 100% for a heart transplant? In Italy, it does.

Quote:
There are arguably strong contradictions between guaranteeing of rights and the necessary actions required to "free everyone from need".

"Arguably". Define.

Quote:
But at any rate, I would strongly suggest you never quote Stalin as positive support to a statement.

I can tell...
In no way I am a Stalinist. I just quoted it to explain because he put it down more simple to understand that the way Lenin did long back before him.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 01-22-2007

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

Well, put it this way, any statement Stalin made regarding "necessary" limitations on freedom could be no better than self serving. Self serving to the tune of millions of deaths. So really, I would look hard for a better quote. It's a bit like quoting Hitler on the necessity to limit privacy... because of what Hitler did to the people after he deprived their privacy, is a superb reason to guarantee it.

A person convinced that the ends justify the memes.
Old 01-23-2007

Quote:
Well, put it this way, any statement Stalin made regarding "necessary" limitations on freedom could be no better than self serving. Self serving to the tune of millions of deaths. So really, I would look hard for a better quote.

Agree 100%. I could quote you Lenin for the same theme. But it would take one page instead than two lines, that's all.

Quote:
It's a bit like quoting Hitler on the necessity to limit privacy... because of what Hitler did to the people after he deprived their privacy, is a superb reason to guarantee it.

I often -DO- quote Hitler. When it's about gun control, you know.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack