This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 01-24-2007
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

Yeah I recently picked up Prey for my computer for $20. Fun game, and it is available for consoles too. But the consoles take as long as 45 minutes to load a map! If I'm hitting 45 seconds I'd think my pc locked up!

But I think the physics processor will make huge differences. You're going to have systems with at least 2 high end processors devoted to graphics, 1 processor for physics, and 2 powerful cpu's flexible enough to cover anything else in a pinch. Probably at least 18 months later before any console could be shipped with similar hardware to a top line pc. New technology just gets integrated into a pc much faster. The only real downside is ease of use and installation. But that's usually a 1 time deal, then it's double click and play.

But really, most games are hitting a point of "realism" that's more than enough to be fun and involving anyway. My only real issue with console games is historically they are "shallower". Quicker to learn, but less depth of challenge in most cases. I didn't grow up with consoles, my friends were the ones with the NES's and Genesis, etc. You could tell the difference when you opened the box... usually cartridges came with a tiny pamphlet, while most computer games came with a big fat 100+ page book. While some kids thought "I have to learn all this?" I just thought it was cool. I had a WW2 flight sim... it came with flight instructions, historical anecdotes, aerial combat tutorials, fleet deployment and battle maps, and a couple pages to keep notes on even. I loved stuff like that. I often bought games when I was in the middle of family road trips... I could study the manual well before running the game. It's a bit sad you don't see that as much any more. At any rate, really good strategy games really need a mouse... and that's what I play aside from the occasional FPS, so really consoles aren't for me yet.

A person convinced that the ends justify the memes.

Last edited by JCoyote : 01-24-2007 at 01:22 AM.
Old 01-24-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoyote
What kind of graphics card do you have?

ATI Radeon.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 01-24-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-The Italian Commie
ATI Radeon.

Well yeah but that's a brand line, what number?

Old 01-24-2007
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Armorer

PT-- is it a 128mb or 64mb video card.

Coyote--
Prey was mainly dedicated as a console game, incredibly easy since, after your spirit journey, it's impossible to die. Maps weren't an issue for me-- Running dual AMD, Geforce 4-Titanium, and 1 gig of ram, I was able to load maps in about 45, 50 seconds.
My next PC will be a custom job, I'll be running dual 7800 GTX vid cards, 4 gigs of DDR 2Ram, off of a dual core (deliberating between AMD and Pentium) and an ASUS mobo--I'm not particularly a fan of the ASUS, but I can manually set my overclock ratio...I'm also debating switching it to Vista in case Halo Wars makes it to PC-- I'm an elitist in regards to real time strategy games being more suited to a roller chair than a couch.
BUT like I said, I'm not a PC gamer, but I do appreciate being able to watch high intensity flash at 35 frames a second and I'll be doing A/V editing with machinima-- I'm damn antsy to make a game play montage of my work in Halo Dos and GoW.

Speaking of, CrackDown's demo came out yesterday. Looks and feels interesting...still, th Halo 3 beta was worth reserving a copy.

Quote:
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping a human face...forever" ~George Orwell
Old 01-24-2007

Well Prey was very easy, but I forgive it that considering the other amounts of groundbreaking technique in it. It's easy to overwhelm someone when you make them deal with a lot of puzzles, strange physics, etc. The only part of Prey that wasn't too challenging was the combat, the rest was decent. Death Walk was mainly seen as a replacement for the overly common save game abuse which broke narrative flow. Essentially they accepted that people used save games excessively, and instead asked how they could do something else to keep the story going... But the price came at perceived difficulty. If I were working on it, I would likely add some sort of price to dying and returning too often, to make dying still be problematic and undesirable.

But it wasn't designed for consoles... it was a PC game from it's very conception, over a decade ago.

Old 01-25-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armorer
PT-- is it a 128mb or 64mb video card.

Can't tell you for sure the specs of my Video Card 'till tomorrow because I am not currently at home, however I am sure it's a 128 Mb. I am using Windows XP on an AMD Athlon processor.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 01-25-2007

Default Example of current game graphics.

Mine is a 512mb.

It can't run Rainbow Six Vegas with the graphics maxed out.
Old 01-26-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoyote
Well yeah but that's a brand line, what number?

Okay, now, I have the specs.

ATI Radeon X-Press 200-series (0x5974)
Internal DAC (400MHz)
128 Mb.
BIOS: BKT-ATI Ver008.045l.017.000

If you are wondering, my Chip is an AMD Athlon 64, running on Microsoft Windows XP. My PC is an OLIDATA (made in Italy).

Old 02-28-2007

Default I just noticed...

In all these GRAW screenshots I see, a lot of the time the guys in ACU camo with all that advanced land-warrior-esque gear...

Are using RX4 and CX4 carbines.

You can forgive the XM8 being in the first game for the most part because of the timing and development cycle, but... when in the hell were the Storm weapons ever being selected as part of an Army inventory?!