This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 05-15-2006

Send a message via AIM to Chahta
Default Presidential Address of Immigration

Ok, this no doubt will produce various responses from this board. What did ya'll think about the proposals of President Bush on this topic?
Old 05-15-2006
Super Moderator

For a start, not enough troops, needs to be three times that many.

Second, deport them, all. Just stick them on the other side of the border and let them try to come through the legal way.

Third, no mention of dual twelve foot fences and landmines in-between.

Fourth, no mention of the Northern border, at all.

Fifth, he compared a legal immigrant he met in person to illegal aliens in general, and used the story to back his ideas emotionally.

Leaders use logic, not emotion, and comparing legal immigrants to illegal aliens is misleading.

But hey, at least he didn't say 'vigilantes' at any point.
Old 05-16-2006
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Default Just one question...

NORTHERN BORDER? Your Country needs to protect itself against CANADIAN illegals?
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 05-16-2006

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-The Italian Commie
NORTHERN BORDER? Your Country needs to protect itself against CANADIAN illegals?

Not from Canadians, no. But the issue is more that it is easy to fly into Canada from other nations, and then just slip across the US border from there. It is done. Hell, after the Soviet Union fell KGB records made it clear just how much they used the Canada/US border to slip agents into the US.

But still, the argument about that soldier made was garbage. Any non-US citizen who joins the US military and has a good service record can have US citizenship within 6 months. In fact, it is probably one of the easiest and least complicated ways to do it. Also, while I think the presidency needs less power in general, I think one power a president should have would be to give citizenship to any individual automatically. The limit would have to be the president naming each individual, but I guess even that could be abused.

Overall I think the "guest worker" idea is pointless and impractical. The biggest problem is the employers who are paying substandard wages under the table with no tax burden. They aren't going to suddenly handle all the complications of that, they'll just do what they have always done. So the demand for illegal labor will remain the same. The "guest worker" thing will only benefit a handful of people then, and most of those people who go through the trouble of getting that could likely have gotten long term work visas anyway.
Old 05-17-2006

Default Hmmm...

Well, since Canada is NOT exactly Mexico, shouldn't be the CANADIANS to keep guard on their own borders?
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 05-17-2006
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-The Italian Commie
Well, since Canada is NOT exactly Mexico, shouldn't be the CANADIANS to keep guard on their own borders?

If they want to guard their side of it... By all means.

I don't think we really need a fence on the Northern border... mostly due to the fact that would be near impossible, considering some of those mountain ranges.

But I would like to see something done to increase security at the northern border, he made no mention of it at all.

A large UAV patrol fleet, backed by Helicopter response teams, would probably be most practical for the northern border, not to mention the effective testing of UAVs and training of pilots/soldiers it would cause.

The Southern border needs a wall, however. Not a fence, a wall. Concrete, 1' thick by 12' tall, topped with razor wire, with sensors mounted every fifty feet to detect attempts to climb over.

For a cheaper solution, we could try dual 12' chain-link fences, fifty feet apart with landmines inbetween, but of course that isn't politically correct.

Of course, it'll never happen, the Republicans are too much in the pocket of big companies who hire illegals to save money [and it isn't like the Democrats are any different, in that regard]. And both sides are trying to court the vote of the hispanic population, overlooking the fact that only legal hispanic citizens can vote, and most of them do not favor illegal immigraion.

I won't even mention the fact that a wall would cause serious problems for the illegal narcotics trade... I think that may have more to do with the unwillingness of many politicans to do anything than we'd like to think.
Old 05-17-2006

Default More B.S.

Support roles only from what I understand witch means changing oil in the border patrol vehicals, sweeping out their office's, Takeing out the trash etc etc.I dought any boots will be hitting the ground.I'd really be shocked if any of the guardsmen had a firearm of any kind.. even if they did they would be given no ammo..Unless a few of the boys had ammo of their own, witch has been known to happen..
Just more show and No Go from the whitehouse...Make it a felony to hire the bastards and i'll begin to have faith again!
Old 05-17-2006
Super Moderator

That's a point a failed to make... If you're going to use the National Guard to support border enforcement... Field them as the National Guard, not caddies!