This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 11-05-2007
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Default Re: So this is what's going on in Pakistan.

Obviously not 'common good'...

A lot of money was spent just researching alternate energy. You're basically saying that those investors and researchers shouldn't get any financial benefit from their work.

Economies only prosper when money is changing hands, because money is only worth what it will buy you (used to be worth how much gold it could buy you, now it's worth how much of ANYTHING it can buy you). If money stops changing hands, then it's worthless, and sure enough, you'll see the value of the currency crash in direct response.

Oil is an economic backbone because LOTS and LOTS of money changes hands over it. If new alternate energy is distributed by the state, as you suggest, then little or no money is changing hands over it. Currency value crashes unless something else is being bought with that money. So economic backbones are inevitable. There's going to be something that everybody exchanges currency for, and it'll take the place of oil. If it doesn't, then the world goes into an economic depression, and it's just that simple.

Last edited by Mk23 : 11-05-2007 at 04:49 AM.
Old 11-06-2007
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

I see you don't understand.

When you get richer than the rest of the world, you are object of envy, admiration, even hate. But when you get TOO rich than the rest of the world, and when you do this by leeching from the rest of the world, then eventually, one day or another, the rest of the world will come knocking on your door. At that point, it will be too late to share your richness. What they'll want is to take your richness away, all of that, and kill you. You can let them in, they'll take it away and kill you; you can NOT let them in, they'll break in, take it away and kill you; you can resist with all your foce, they'll be not less armed than you, they'll overwhelm you, take away everything and kill you. There will be no help coming, you'll be alone, and the enemy you'll be facing will be just too desperate and great in numbers to care of any damage or casualty that you'll inflict.

Now, take a look out of your window, and you'll see that this is what is already happening on a global scale. "You" is US, the entire "Western world". The "Rest of the world" is, well... THE REST OF THE WORLD. Exploitment of natural resources for the sole benefit of a handful of nations and the profit of a handful of people (and markets) has taken the situation up to a breaking point. I don't know if we are still in time to turn back or if we have already reached the Event Horizon. What I know is that the ENTIRE situation of current global crisis is basically what I have mentioned above that's happening. Keep your beliefs on the economic system if you like it. What I am telling you is that this system will not survive enough to see the end of this Century. So may not be many of the world nations as we know them. Including ours.

Wars, poverty, starvation, that's what is waiting for us, just because we have thought for years that it was fair to make money leeching on others. We called it "Market economy", but it has been sustainable up to a certain point, when the system of counterposition between Blocs ensured somehow that none of the two contenders would have gone one step too far, and that the populations exploited too much by one of the two would have been somehow helped by the other. But now the equilibrium has been broken, everything works only and solely around the $$$, and the entire system is no longer sustainable. We have enraged, and armed, way too much people to think that they'll not try to come right for us. They will not be doing it tomorrow, that's for sure: we have set up a very efficient system, similar to the ancient Roman "Divide Et Impera", so that now the poorest of the poor are too busy making war on each others to notice that we're sucking up to the last droplet of blood from their wifes and children. But what will happen when they'll be tired to fight each others and will realize that they have nothing left to loose except their own lives, that they are way way more than us, and that they have instead EVERYTHING to gain in killing us all and taking us away everything?

Again: wars, poverty, starvation, death. Is that the world you want to rise your children in? Or maybe is that the world you want to prepare your children to, so that, once again, they will have to fight a war that you have provoked? I honestly don't feel I ever could. That's why I have decided not to have any son or daughter, ever. It would be way too much an enormous crime against the future generations.

Mind what I'm telling you: we will not be remembered very well on the history books, and the epitaph on our tombstone will read like "They couldn't even clean up their own mess".
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack