This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 11-24-2008
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Question Yellow stripes on guns

Does anyone know why ISA staff have marked their guns with yellow stripes?
_ ISA yellow band on gun_468x280 c.jpg
../ct
... .. -. -.-
Old 11-24-2008

WTF is ISA? My Google search only returns a bunch of useless Italian pages ("Isa" is a common Italian female first name...).

BTW, the picture is too small and low-res to assess whether that's a live firearm or a training/practice model (most likely to feature something like a yellow, orange, or red stripe to distinguish from real guns). I couldn't tell.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 11-25-2008

Default Re: Yellow stripes on guns

took the picture from french president visit to Israel when the cop killed himself - could it stand for Israeli Secret Agency?
_
ISA
_
better resolution picISA yellow band on gun_468x338 c.JPG
... .. -. -.-
Old 11-25-2008

Simple Friend or Foe system - your friend has same strip on the slide (or receiver) while your foe - don't. It is not only ISA idea. The same system is used around the world.

War is a game played with a smile; if you can`t smile, grin.
If you can`t grin, keep out of the way until you can. [Winston Churchill]
Old 11-25-2008

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

Sounds like an absurd IFF system to me, it doesn't account for other potential friendly military and police forces that could be involved who wouldn't be party to the tag of the day, not to mention usage of unanticipated weaponry.

"Everyone with a gun that has no stripe is hostile" seems to be a system that WILL get get people killed who shouldn't be, and focuses on far to narrow a distinction. I think it would foster a false sense of security and create an environment prone to deadly mistakes.

A person convinced that the ends justify the memes.
Old 11-26-2008

Question Re: Yellow stripes on guns

even a hostile unit could fake a coloured stripe
_
appears inefficient, but if israeli's use it there could be some sort of advantage I don't see
_
at the same time, I can't think of something better to quickly identify a "partner"
_
tough matter
... .. -. -.-
Old 11-26-2008

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

I'm not necessarily arguing the idea itself is inherently bad, I'm more thinking several steps down the line regarding the type of mentality the system can create in its users.

It isn't foolproof and could create a false sense of security, as well as promote aggression against potential friendlies.

I severely dislike the trend in many police/security agencies to treat all civilians, and especially armed civilians, as threats. The only reason the police exist is as an outgrowth of the will of those civilians to have a more stable society; policing agencies are only the tip of the spear, not the whole weapon... rest of the weapon is composed of the majority of the people who desire that stability, with some of the edges past the tip being armed civilians. Police need to be aware they are part of a body together with the people in their jurisdictions. "Us and them" oppositions only reinforce an idea that they are separate from the people and lead to nasty things far too often.

It's more an overall philosophical issue. Police and security types have uniforms anyway to distinguish them. Undercover type security might benefit from this, however as one of them I would rather have something that can immediately deploy to identify me on my torso, rather than a mark on my gun, which wouldn't be as visible. I can clearly be holding a firearm, from an angle where another person cannot see the actual weapon or only a small part of it... and be fired on from someone trigger happy and making an assumption. It also would not be difficult, for groups willing to have someone make an initial suicide attack anyway, to have someone get killed in an attack to show what colors the security guys have that day, and everyone in wave 2 to have ready sets of stickers in a dozen colors that would take a whopping 2 seconds to stick on their guns so they would then all look like undercover as well. Would create one fine mess and would cost pennies for someone to do... it's not like they have to match the color perfectly, only enough to cause confusion.

SOLUTION: I moved my solution for undercover identification to the private area, it has too much potential to have google spread it all over.

A person convinced that the ends justify the memes.

Last edited by JCoyote : 11-26-2008 at 01:55 AM.