This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 05-22-2006
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Exclamation WIRED news: interesting article on privacy.

BRUCE SCHNEIER, estimated professional in the field of encrypting/coding for informatic applications (and not only) has written this column titled "The ethernal value of Privacy" for the notorious on-line review WIRED.
All those, Americans and not-Americans (and there are many), who think that is fair to give away a (HUGE) portion of FREEDOM to have back a (very very small little) bit of SECURITY should read it. Maybe they'd not change mind completely, but would surely be enlightened a little bit ("little" but still bigger of the amout of SAFETY that we have back for giving away a HUGE portion of FREEDOM).
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 05-23-2006
Super Moderator

I've always been against any and all forms of regulation on the internet, period.

The internet is the god-damned wild-west right now, and I like it that way.

However, more and more the statists try to expand their power into the virtual world, with all manner of regulation, and as always presented with the usual bleeding heart causes and reasoning.

Slowly but surely they [governments in general, especially the US, EU and UN] will try to regulate the internet... But for once I think they've met their match. The internet is far too big, too easy to use and too easy to find ways around any attempt at regulation.

There is no way to stop the freight-train that is the internet short of demolishing the tracks, and that would truly be killing the goose that laid the golden egg.
Old 05-27-2006

Default Perhaps the end justifies the means?

Liberty and Freedom are not free, and are not God given. A well regulated society gives us liberty and freedom. While our countries should not be ruled with an iron fist, it should be a gauntleted one. In order for us to remain safe and free we must sacrifice a little liberty.

'Revolution' is a term often used in Africa, one evil simply replaces another due to their inability to behave like civilised human beings.

Governments always could find out anything they wanted to know about you, the new legislations simply make it a bit quicker.

Think for a moment about your credit card company, they know an awful lot about you, your lifestyle, your spending habits, hell they even ring you up when they think you've made an 'uncharacteristic' purchase. Shall we start a revolution against them?
Old 05-27-2006
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBayonet
Liberty and Freedom are not free, and are not God given. A well regulated society gives us liberty and freedom. While our countries should not be ruled with an iron fist, it should be a gauntleted one. In order for us to remain safe and free we must sacrifice a little liberty.

You have it all wrong! Totally wrong! Freedom is divinely mandated on us, upon our birth. Social laws are not. Want proof? Look at the fact that criminals exist. They act from out of the bounds of law. They are engaging in innately free behavior, regardless of how negative it is, and regardless of what well-ordered society says will happen, and what they should not do!

And that is why a gauntleted society, with all its laws and regulations, is pointless. There will always be troublemakers, who ignore and spit on the lawbooks.

Hence, to remain safe and free, we must remain vigilant and ready to sacrifice our blood in the defense of it. We must also realize that we will never be totally safe, no matter what we do, and that giving up our freedom in the pursuit of it is fool's folly.

Give up a little liberty, in the pursuit of safety and freedom, and you'll soon have to give it all up - while having neither safety nor freedom. Oft-repeated, but like many such phrases, often true .

If being free slightly increases the already miniscule chances of another 9/11 happening, then that is a risk I am willing take. There is always going to be that risk, regardless of our being free or under the yoke of tyranny.

If the majority of British society thinks that they must live in a gauntleted society, then we (the US) made a mistake in helping you fight off the Nazis. Speaking of which, how well did their "gauntleted society" do in protecting their people from Allied bombers and invasion? From black marketeers? From people collaborating with the Allies?

Quote:
'Revolution' is a term often used in Africa, one evil simply replaces another due to their inability to behave like civilised human beings.

Is that the fault of the revolution, or the fault of the people in it? What makes our Western democracies any safer against evil replacing good? Especially with folks like yourself advocating for restrictive government?

Quote:
Governments always could find out anything they wanted to know about you, the new legislations simply make it a bit quicker.

So, rather than keeping it harder for the government to do, you'd rather make it easier? Why? The easier it is to do, the more likely they are to do it.

Quote:
Think for a moment about your credit card company, they know an awful lot about you, your lifestyle, your spending habits, hell they even ring you up when they think you've made an 'uncharacteristic' purchase. Shall we start a revolution against them?

Considering how much debt the average American is in (due, more often than not, to their own poor spending habits), a revolution against the credit card companies wouldn't be a bad idea . I'm doing my part by not playing with them, at least.

The important thing to keep in mind regarding your relationship with your credit card company, though, is that it is a voluntary relationship. You can break it off at your whim (or theirs), or not even get into one. They have little to no power over you.

They can't the send the cops to my house over whatever debt I might owe them, they can't tap my phone or read my e-mail, and they have no interest in persecuting me for what I think - indeed, it is in their best interests to encourage me ("You bought a book by Marx, sir - would you like to purchase one by Mao, also?" - although I'm no commie).

The government, though, has power. It likes to keep that power, and even more so, it likes to use that power. There are two reasons why fundamentalist religious whackos, Nazis, authoritarians, and loud and proud pedophiles aren't elected into the seats of power; the first is that most Americans do not agree with their philosophies, and the second is a spin-off of the first, in that we do not trust them to use that power for the good of the public.

The more power the government has, the more we should always be on the government's back! For governments humans, and that means that they are just as fallible, good, or absolutely evil as the rest of us. Let them be at our mercy.