This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 01-10-2007
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Default Greetings from Orlando Florida

I am currently here at a 'Quality Suites', stealing open wireless signal from the Mariott next door.

The SHOT show begins tomorrow, and I will be in attendence.

If anybody here would like me to ask any questions to any of the representatives on the floor, I would be more than happy too.
Old 01-10-2007

Have you brought a digital camera? Maybe if you find something that truly stand out, you could post it?
Old 01-10-2007
Super Moderator

FOR THE LOVE OF G-D, ASK THE FABRIQUE NATIONALE FOLKS WHEN THEY'RE GOING TO MAKE CIVILIAN VERSIONS OF THE SCAR!

Try to sound really excited about it and make sure they understand that lots of people want that rifle. If they bring up political issues tell them to damn the torpedos. If it's legal to sell it then by G-d SELL IT!

If you see anyone from Bravo Company USA, bitch at them for having their BCM line completely sold out for like 8 months.

If you can look at a Robinson Arms XCR and compare your thoughts on it to the SCAR, that'd be nice. Frankly I think the XCR is crap.

If you can, suggest to the Trijicon guys that it might be a good idea to make an single-unit "composite" sight, using both a wide-angle holographic reflex sight and an ACOG-like optical sight, but in a single unit housing, with the red-dot mounted under the ACOGy-thing.

If you get the chance tell the Bushmaster guys it'd be nice for them to add even lighter Carbon-15 rifles as technology allows it, and good lightweight polymer magazines (like new-production Orlites) would be nice. Carbon-composite wrapped barrels might be one way to make the rifles lighter by a hair.

Last edited by UZI4U : 01-10-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-10-2007

Default Two things...

Bushmaster: when is the .45BM slated for wide-spread distribution? Ballistics/reloading info?
KAC: why the HELL won't they answer the inquiries of potential customers?
Old 01-11-2007

Cool lucky guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mk23
I am currently here at a 'Quality Suites', stealing open wireless signal from the Mariott next door.

If anybody here would like me to ask any questions to any of the representatives on the floor, I would be more than happy too.

Unfortunately I won't be able to join you. Got the visa but my job comes first. Maybe next year.

Enjoy it.

../ct
... .. -. -.-
Old 01-11-2007

Quote:

If you see the Italian journalists from DIANA ARMI, salute them for me.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 01-11-2007

Default Uzi

Not going to mention the sight unit to Trijicon for the sole reason that my father's company (Ross Optical Industries) is /already/ working on a composite single-unit sight design (not sure who's going to manufacture it yet, but the design is at the request of the DoD).

I'll keep you posted on this as much as I can.
Old 01-11-2007

Default End of day one for me.

Uzi: FN SCAR civilian version will be ready by Christmas 2008. The only reason they're not out already is the military contract.

Didn't see anything from Bravo Company USA

Bushmaster has no interest in making Carbon 15s even lighter. Their response when I told them was: '...Why?'

Cerberus: .45BM is slated for widespread release around next wintertime. Hornady is apparently still not ready to mass produce the ammunition.

KAC says that their website is largely non-functional and will remain so for the next 2 months. If you inquired through their website, they say that's the reason.

Interesting developments:

Magpul Masada rifle. This weapon looks like a G36 with AR-type controls. It uses a gas piston system similar to an AR18, and uses standard AR-15 mags, and even AR-15 barrels. Everything strips without tools, including the barrel, which is attached to the gas system and removes as a single unit. Feels nice and hefty. There aren't any confirmed plans for a semi-auto civilian version, but this is the first day this weapon has been unveiled /anywhere/, so there are very few confirmed plans for /anything/ involving this weapon so far. The representative said that they named it Masada, because they know they're going to be besieged on all sides by established ARs and the like.

KAC 6x35mm PDW. It's not exactly new, but it's the first time I saw it up close and had it explained to me. It has AR-15 controls, but the weapon is actually closer to an AK operation-wise. The 6x35mm cartridge performs adequately in barrel lengths under 10", where a 5.56x45mm would generally give off a giant fireball and drop the bullet at your feet (exaggeration, but....). 750 rounds per minute.

Got to handle my first HK45. I am definitely buying one. But it's a bit pricey... 1200 bucks introductory price. Feels nice and hefty, but well balanced, and the backstrap that was on the ones displayed fit my hand well. The fingergrooves on the grip are similar to the P30, but aside from the backstrap the grip is one-piece, without the side plates of the P30, and I like that feel better for some odd reason. The Beretta PX4 Storm felt a little better in my hand, and had an unbelievably smooth double action trigger pull, but the weight and balance wasn't right. I couldn't get a real sense of where the gun was going to point when I moved it.
Old 01-11-2007
Super Moderator

Quote:
Bushmaster has no interest in making Carbon 15s even lighter. Their response when I told them was: '...Why?'

... Because... We... Can...

I won't be happy until an AR-15 weighs less than an ink-pen.

Minimally walled carbon composite wrapped barrels. Titanium used in place of steel everywhere possible. Redesigned minimal-mass bolt-carrier. Redesigned minimal-mass trigger group. Thinner recoil spring made from better materials. Minimal optical mounting pic rails (six or so, just enough to mount a sight)...

I'm sure I could cut the weight down to 3.5lbs with about 8 months of redesign.

Anyway, thanks big time for asking those things.

As for the trijicon part... Totally understand that. I don't care who makes it, I just want one. Trijicon is just the first company that came to mind.
Old 01-11-2007

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by UZI4U
I won't be happy until an AR-15 weighs less than an ink-pen.

Ah I see, still following that dream of replacing the sling with a balloon string?

A person convinced that the ends justify the memes.