This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 01-22-2007
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Default I am now giddy with excitement. GRAW 2

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 has been announced a while back, and as out of the loop as I was, I only just now found out:

IT IS SET IN EL PASO, TX (and Juarez of course)!!!!

Now I really want to see if I can find my house.
Old 01-22-2007
Super Moderator

Not all that far from where I live... A wargame set in my backyard... Now I have to get it.

But didn't GRAW-1 suck?
Old 01-22-2007

I seriously doubt so since the game is made not far from my house here in Sweden. But maybe they've done some good research...
Old 01-22-2007

Default I kinda liked GRAW-1

Wasn't the hyper-realistic thing they advertise, but... when you play as many games as I do, /and/ know about firearms and military stuff, your expectations and standards just eventually get way down until you don't care about the realism so much, just whether or not you get a rush out of it, and realism just makes you happier when it's implemented well.

('Armed Assault', a graphics update of Operation Flashpoint... sucks. Simply because while in the days of Flashpoint, that kind of interface was acceptable because of the complexity, there's just no excuse for that clunky of an interface nowadays)
Old 01-23-2007

Thumbs down I couldn't even play GRAW-1.

It moves VEEERY slow on my PC.

And my PC is BRAND NEW.

What kind of settings does it require?
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 01-23-2007

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

What kind of graphics card do you have?

A person convinced that the ends justify the memes.
Old 01-23-2007

Default GRAW was designed for Xbox360

And we are at a point in time currently where consoles vastly outperform PCs for graphics.

My $4000+ laptop /barely/ meets requirements for Rainbow Six Vegas, which runs on X360 with even better graphics.

But, before this console cycle (5 years) complete, PCs should have caught up again, what with DX10 and all. It's how these cycles usually happen
Old 01-23-2007

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

Actually a mid-high pc far outperforms any console for graphics. But the key piece is having the graphics card... which a good one can cost more than any console.

If you have something in the Nvidia 6600 or better range, a dual core processor and a gig of ram? Still matched to the latest consoles.

The upside to consoles is they can more readily use proprietary graphics technologies. However, the more proprietary they get the less likely they are to be implemented... even the console market is being hit with demand from software companies for more and more standardization. Most game makers want to be able to release a game for more than just one console, it saves them development costs.

Also, another important factor is consoles are all streamlined towards lower res television display, monitors can produce sharper video. There's DX10, but also there might be physics processors soon. Those are going to hit PC's first if/when they come to market.

I don't doubt though that somewhere in the next 10 years we'll see the two merge for the most part. It's going to involve increasing prices on consoles that keep growing more computer usability features like web surfing, hitting low end pcs that get more and more graphics ability standard. Add in that flat screen LCD's are being used for both tv's and monitors and it's a good bet. TV's merging with computers was a fantasy, but gaming systems and pcs merging for the most part is quite possible.

Given the power right now, adding a simple gui OS to a console with web surfing, email applications, word processing, spread sheet, database, home accounting/finance, photo editing, and file management should be relatively easy. If it could use standard USB human interface devices and use printers... that could replace the computer as most people use it.

A person convinced that the ends justify the memes.
Old 01-23-2007
Super Moderator

The thing that sucks is the fact that will likely result in more expensive "real PCs".
Old 01-23-2007
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Armorer

Quote:
Wasn't the hyper-realistic thing they advertise, but... when you play as many games as I do, /and/ know about firearms and military stuff, your expectations and standards just eventually get way down until you don't care about the realism so much, just whether or not you get a rush out of it, and realism just makes you happier when it's implemented well.

Can't argue that-- whether it's bullet time, penetration, or how the hell they attached a gas powered chainsaw to an assault rifle...At least guns are being defined graphically inversely related to real life models.
It is, point of frank, purely to the success of Halo that FN Herstal has waived the copyright on the FN2000.
No shit-- The concept of the original rifle was used in the first Splinter cell. The Halo 1 AR was likewise, but only loosely, based on the same concept drawing. The main reason for the BR (or updated battle rifle) switch in Halo 2 was because FN denied permission to Bungie to copy the outline again.
All the same-- as I've bitched about in other games, besides lag, the bullet time. In Battlefield 2: Modern Combat, for example; the lack of bullet time kinda made the game redeemable in my eyes. A fifty cal round being blocked by a friggin rotted 2x4? Weaksauce.

Quote:
TV's merging with computers was a fantasy, but gaming systems and pcs merging for the most part is quite possible.
A point of contention based in and around the 360's web interface. Friends download movies and music via the media center. I'm not talking BS MP3 uploads via Ipod or a webcam...I'm talking about prorated television programs being accessible through Xbox Live. Currently shows offered mostly are AOL time warner holdings, I don't care...I get to download and and watch my favorite Adult Swim cartoons in HD. Shows like Numb3rs, Scrubs, 24, and likewise CBS, NBC, and ABC shows will be available by the fall.
Likewise, I also port streaming media to my xbox from my PC via network. Windows Media Center. I watch MST3K (Mystery Science Theatre 3000) from the comfort of my couch, again in HD.

I think you're right and wrong. Based upon Xbox and WiiConnect24, web browsing, short term communications, and...so help me god...next gen Tivo will be run through an all-in-one entertainment console....stemming from a fad beguyn by Callico Vision.
Sony and the PS3...i'm sorry....is another version of Betamax all over again. It's a good idea, just poorly utilized at a poor time. In all, it's cost and lack of quality is killing them. I've seen 5 fights over Wii's. A 360 box walks once every hour or so. But I've seen the boxes of PS3's sitting around and gathering dust. 400 million sunk in the ps3 venture, charging a full keystone-- that is 100% profit price (yep, the ps3 costs 300 bucks to make).

Quote:
And we are at a point in time currently where consoles vastly outperform PCs for graphics.
I am sorry. I am a hardcore console gamer-- I own a wii and rock my 360. I am a microsoft fanboy in that regard:
http://www.360voice.com/blog.asp?tag=Reggad
But we're still behind in the PC comparison.
Dual SLI, HDMI, and a vid card subset to 64bit processing has every console beat at this point. Vista's release will be interesting none the least.
Point to proof:
Crysis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crysis
Crysis is built upon the Cryengine2 by Crytek, (the folks behind Far Cry) it's a real time environment generator encorporating the texturing of the bungie engine, framework of the unreal engine, portals engine physics, Doom engine firmware and half life internal clocking. It is, point of fact, the most realistic of environments. No anti aliasing necessary, no substructure, ridgelines, or "plating"-- the lighting is beyond anything you've seen. Where shit like GoW or even ingame footage of Halo 3 beta use a bloom effect, Crysis gives you realism.

We will never see it on console. NOTHING other than top end comps at this point can handle it. A proposed version will be somewhere in the level of Final Fantasy: The spirits within (the film).

What I'd give to see Gears of War with the Cryengine2... just compare that picture to Cole in the game.
Speaking of MK23, or anyone else interested, hit me up with a friend request if you're using xbl: Gamtertag-- REGGAD

Quote:
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping a human face...forever" ~George Orwell