This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 02-14-2007
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Default Although for those who want to keep the 'mood setting anomalies'...

Here's the basic ways they're detected.

Gravity anomalies (going up): The air shimmers as the difference in gravity alters the airflow

Gravity anomalies (squish): Grass and vegetation in the area is flattened to the ground.

Acidic anomalies: If it's not visible as a colored mist, you can see the corrosion on everything in the vicinity.

EM anomalies: Electricity may arc between ordinary objects. You get more interference with radios as you get closer to one.

If you suspect an anomaly, throw a rock, or better yet, a bolt, or something metallic. Gravity anomalies are obvious. The thing goes flying, or drops straight down. Acidic anomalies, the bolt gets corroded away before your eyes.

Basically the whole purpose of them in this narrative is that this area is not a very friendly place to be. We're going to have to sneak in past the Ukrainian State Border Guard and the Ukranian military, set up base in probably some kind of abandoned apartment complex (other suggestions welcome), and then go out and find these artifacts that people will pay money for.

We can replace it with more typical NBC style contaminated areas to avoid 'weirdness', but for generally the same effect.
Old 02-15-2007

Yep, AFAIK, one of the reasons for which STALKER was released so late in comparaison with its date of announcement (I have heard of this game being under development as early as from 2004, if I am not wrong) is that they wanted to make available to the gamer all the firearms of Ukrainian manufacture that were launched during the past years (FORT-12 pistol, VEPR assault rifle, etc.).
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 02-15-2007

Default Actually...

2002 is closer to the development period.
Old 02-15-2007
Super Moderator

Vehicles: Dune buggies and dirt bikes. I'm not sure if gas or diesel would be more common in the zone area, but go with whichever is most avaliable. Real dune buggies are pretty EM robust.

About the only two risks you have is the spark plug system getting fried (or at least made temporarily unuseable by EMI) and then the natural risk of gas in general (enough EMI could cause a spark in the gas tank and thus start a BBQ). A small supply of inert gas in the fuel tank could prevent that.

Diesel might be better... No spark plugs to knock out, and diesel is better at not catching fire... But I'd rather go with gas... Maybe Diesel buggies and gas bikes... best of both worlds.

The bikes would have to be old models, before capacitor ignition became popular... Those systems are pretty EM weak and not a good idea for this situation.

As for NBC gear... Just what is the NBC threat? I can't do much about random extreme acidic conditions. There isn't an NBC suit made for that. You could go with a scientific anti-acidic research suit... But if it's strong enough to corrode a bolt away right before your eyes, I don't think that'd do crap to keep you safe.

Gamma radiation/neutrons? Seems likely, considering where it is. Not much I can do about that either. I can give everyone a chem suit and air filters to keep radioactive particles out of their lungs, but a supply of fresh filters would be very hard to keep up (we aren't gov, after all) and such suits would make work difficult. Lead lined suits could be arranged, but frankly wouldn't do all that much to protect folks and are insanely impractical. The best option would be to just pick a base of operations in an area with a low rad count and then basically make it into a sort of bomb shelter (lead/steel/concrete/earth lining where possible to reduce the amount of radiation getting inside, and air filters to keep radioactive airborne particles out... A decontam area for folks coming in might be arranged as well). If you pick a good spot you could have room to do all this at your base without being noticed. After that you'd just have to limit the exposure your crews get when outside the base (radcounters and timecharts).

Chemical threats? I have no idea what threats might exist, so I can't suggest anything. A basic chemsuit and masks are again an option, but again impractical to work in and keep supplied. The base could, again, be made resistant to chemical threats. Still doesn't help the poor idiots looking for stuff outside the base.

Biological? After all, if you have mutant animals and zombies... Why not mutant viruses, bacterium, fungi and zombism? Only a few ways to counter this... NBC suits with good masks, backed by an airtight and filtered base of operations with serious decontam abilities is one way... Good luck arranging that... Basically I think we're SOL in that regard.

As for EM problems... Old, old vacuum tube radios would be best. These are much more robust to EM damage than any of the more modern radio types (EM interference is a different issue... You're going to catch a hell of a lot of static, even using FM).

Nightvision/Thermal Imaging would be haphazard... go ahead and bring whatever NVGs you want... I still think they're going to fry. If they work... Great, do your operations at night and fort up during the day. If not, fort up and night and do your work during the day. The cover of darkness is your enemy when you have a NV disadvantage, best to just face that and work during the day, when all things are equal.

I suggest keeping a lot of very up to date sat-img maps for your team, if they are avaliable.

As for a base of operations, I suggest something along the river port. This gives you a possible path of supply. It also gives you a water supply (distilling the water would be a must, however). There are several warehouses along the river that were used for supplies from ships... These might be too obvious for a base, but they still seem like good places. There are actually a number of large abandon ships there still... These might make suprisingly good bases (water is a good radiation barrier, as is steel, and it would keep most animals away), if you could manage to sneak in and out of them without being spotting.

For gear? First I'd suggest about a dozen 25MT nuclear warheads. But failing that... Just bring everything more advanced than a pointy stick. We'll use the ones we need.
Old 02-15-2007

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

The ships would be a good idea. In fact, moving in a decent surplus ship that uses old diesel engines could be ideal. EMP proofed, good radiation protection, good physical protection, limited accessibility, and it can change location as need be.

Too bad the Minas Gerais (former HMS Vengeance, a better name I'd revert to) was cut up. It was a relatively small aircraft carrier... I wonder if it could navigate the rivers in the area. It went for $6 million USD or thereabouts but got cut up for scrap. To a well funded group, something like that could make a perfect base. Work out some ramps for moving vehicles on and off... plenty of large flat space for decon and vehicle maintenance... more than enough room for storage. Plenty of room for extra shielding. Perfect for a couple hundred mercs to plunder everything of value and run away in.

A person convinced that the ends justify the memes.
Old 02-15-2007
Super Moderator

If you start bringing an ----ing aircraft carrier in, the next thing you'll see would be a squadron of Su-27s dropping 500KG bombs all over it. Besides, the river we speak of drains into the Black Sea, not the ocean. It access is completely controlled by the Russians and their friends.

Anything done would have to be done quietly... Forget trying to move any of the ships in the harbor around... Best to try and pretend they're still empty ghost ships.

I do have an idea for a perfect platform for a group of... err... 21st Century Nomads. But that'll have to wait for another time. In this situation it wouldn't work.
Old 02-15-2007

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

Well, obviously with a carrier the idea would be having some level of compliance with the local government. Which, once you are funded to that level, isn't entirely out of the question. If they get a cut, I'm sure the local government would allow a private security firm in for "research". They might want to use the ship for basing a few of their own soldiers in as well, which might not be a bad thing either... if they are kept to a minority.

Properly set up, a half dozen semi-independent groups could work from that kind of base. By the time you're moving in enough NBC gear and filtration equipment to maintain a semi-permanent base, you're getting involved with working with one level of the local government or another anyway. Might as well lable yourselves a "scientific research group"... with an obvious eye toward security, in such a rough area. And use that to get allowed in. It's all just a matter of PR and spin if you're at that level. Doesn't hurt to think big and get capitalized.

A person convinced that the ends justify the memes.
Old 02-15-2007

Default The Ukrainian government...

They think they're going to save the world. And want anybody that's not them the hell out of the Zone. They even have Russian Federation assistance.
Old 02-15-2007
Super Moderator

No. What it's really about is a scientific incident like this is the kind that leads to new technological revolutions... Russia wants its bear claws all over something like that. Ukraine has nothing to do with it... Their government isn't in a position to argue with the Ruskies over something serious like this (unless they like having their government FAE bombed and tanks rolling down the streets of Kiev). Thus Ukraine is going-along-to-get-along and doing most of Russia's dirty work, in hopes that they might also reap some of the tech harvest as a reward from the Russians.

Obviously, with this being a chance for Russia to restore itself to its former glory, they want no other nation within a million miles of the project. I'm suprised they haven't surrounded the zone with an entire army, or two, of real-deal Russian troops.

(Isn't it great to apply real world strategic analysis to completely fictional situations?)
Old 02-15-2007

Default Well

The smaller the force Russia sends, the less likely this goes public as more than a reactor malfunction.

The USA and China are still the big kids on the block. They'd push a hell of a lot to get things done multinationally and all that stuff. And even pull the 'threat to all of humanity' angle.

Right now it's kept small scale. Military patrols, and private STALKERS smuggling artifacts out.

We could even be sponsored by the USA, Taiwan, Israel, Italy, and/or wherever else if it makes you fell all warm and fuzzy inside.