This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 03-16-2007
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Armorer
Default Any 1911'ers out there?

I know of Dolphin's affection for his HK, and the local favor for the CZ97/95 ex EEAA Witness, etc.
But does anyone else here have a soft spot in their collection for 1911's?
In the last year I bought (and sold) my first 1911-- a Kimber Pro-Carry II.
I sorta regreted it, and when the opportunity arose back in sept....bought a Kimber TLE/RL II...
Which I traded at the beginning of the month for a Kimber Desert Warrior...even trade.
Then TJ told me he had a Springfield Armory TRP Operator first series with a full length rail and bull barrel-- all match grade parts which he graciously sold me...
Then a friend did a swap with me for a S.A. 1911-A1 GI .45 for a Walther P22.
So I'm up to now 3 after I swore 9 years ago that I didn't like single stack 1911's...
Pics:
1) Springfield TRP Operator RC (with SecurityArms calling cards, Gracias TJ!)
2) RC test target. Dig that nickle sized group.
3) Kimber test target-- approaching (walking towards) target. 8rnds, two- 4" 4rnd groups.
4) My 1911 Family photo: Kimber Desert Warrior, Springfield TRP Operator RC, Springfield GI .45

Quote:
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping a human face...forever" ~George Orwell
Old 03-16-2007
Administrator

What you need is a Kimber Pro-Carry. I got just the one for you. New in the box (almost). You can send it back to the factory for the normal Kimber tweeks it needs to finally work properly.
Old 03-16-2007
Administrator

Naw, I liked my procarry II, but safety rounds had just a tad bit too much punch for my taste-- almost as bad as my buddy's 70's series colt comander.
I'd be lying if I didn't say I've been mulling over making you my exclusive dealer--
What other 1911's you got?

Quote:
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping a human face...forever" ~George Orwell
Old 03-16-2007
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Default Personally, I do not have one.

And you won't find many 1911ers in the land that makes Beretta, Tanfoglio, etc., though there are LOTS of 1911-style pistols made here in Italy (made by Tanfoglio itself, by Valtro, MATEBA, TECNEMA, QS Progetto Meccanica, and the wonderful Custom realizations made by Amadini and ADC - Armi Dallera).
So to speak, my Editor-In-Chief owns a shining new Springfield Armory M1911-A1 "Operator" and loves it, nonetheless the two pistols he uses to carry are (alternatively, not both at the same time) a Beretta M98-FS and a Glock 17.

No kidding, there are LOTS of better alternatives to the 1911 when it's about concealed carry, and here in Italy, we make some of the best. The Beretta and Glock models carried by my EIC are a bit bulky, but he's a tall and big man and it gives him no trouble. For a small, thin guy like I am, something smaller and handy is preferrable, like a compact or subcompact Glock, Beretta, Tanfoglio, or Walther (P99-C). Notice that Walther has introduced at the IWA a new subcompact pistol, called the PPS. It's basically a smaller, thinner P99-Compact, with single-stack column magazine in 9x19mm of 3 capacities available (6, 7 or 8 rounds), specifically made for civilian concealed carry.

So, as you can see, almost all the valid alternatives to the 1911 available worldwide are made right here, or close to our shores anyway, and we usually decide for them. And with the everyday increasing troubles that your Department of State is posing to the export of American-made firearms in Europe and elsewhere, don't be surprised if the marketplace for your gunmakers will be getting smaller and smaller. Your own market, though the biggest in the world, will not be able to manufacture for self-consumption and mantain an acceptable level forever.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Last edited by PT-The Italian Commie : 03-16-2007 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-16-2007

Send a message via AIM to Chahta

This cheap little old Llama is one of my favorites. Colt magazines fit it and are cheap too!

But, I prefer my Taurus PT145 Millennium Pro with it's 10 rd magazine for CCW.
Old 03-16-2007

Default Actually I have two 45's HK usp tactical and a 1911

My 1911 isn't exactly a factory gun I bought a Caspain lower receiver for $35 bucks Picked up a complete Kimber upper for $185 I sent it to a IPSIC
Pistolsmith in Texas were he junked half of the parts I sent him and replaced and tuned everything.$750 dollars later he sent it back to me.It eats one ragged hole.It is by far the most accurate handgun I ever owned.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 03-17-2007
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

A bad picture of my Colt Gold Cup NM in .45 ACP, I only changed the recoil spring guide by a long Wilson guide with recoil buffer.

Old 03-17-2007
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin_Shooter
My 1911 isn't exactly a factory gun I bought a Caspain lower receiver for $35 bucks Picked up a complete Kimber upper for $185 I sent it to a IPSIC
Pistolsmith in Texas were he junked half of the parts I sent him and replaced and tuned everything.$750 dollars later he sent it back to me.It eats one ragged hole.It is by far the most accurate handgun I ever owned.

Boy, I know you got a camera. You better show some pics of that piece. I've always wanted to do something similar-- get an old colt or springfield frame and then mate it to a nice caspian slide.
Well...You could get 85% finished frames there for a while...but we know what happened to that.

Quote: