This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 03-18-2007
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Exclamation New !! the Walther PPS pistol

The new WALTHER PPS: The "Police Pistol Slim" follows the legendary PPK.

Equipped with unique WALTHER features such as the patented QuickSafe®, variable magazine capacities and variable backstrap sizes, the WALTHER PPS is a worthy successor to the legendary PPK – the Police Pistol Short. Despite its large caliber of 9x19 or .40 S&W, the PPS is a pistol with extremely slim dimensions – in the classic WALTHER design. The highest possible safety is paired with a high degree of comfort during concealed carry.
It‘s like the PPS was locked: WALTHER QuickSafe®
Safety redefined: The partially cocked striker assembly is decocked simply by removing the backstrap. The removed backstrap therefore doubles as a „key“ – without it, the pistol can‘t be fired! So when the backstrap and the pistol are stored separately, the PPS is safeguarded against unauthorized use. WALTHER QuickSafe® - maximum safety can be that easy!
Variable frame length and magazine capacity. With three magazines of differing length (6, 7 & 8 rounds), the frame length can be perfectly adjusted to the individual hand size.
More Power:
The PPS actually has more power than a Walther PPK, yet with almost identical dimensions.

Walther Website Link
More infos & pictures Here

Walther PPS "First Edition" 9mm Parabellum

Walther PPS 9mm Parabellum

Old 03-18-2007
Super Moderator

Way too bulky... The nice thing about the PPK wasn't just its size, it was also the fact it didn't 'print' much, allowing it to be hidden in clothes that usually wouldn't be enough to keep a firearm hidden.

This thing is basically two 2x4 wooden planks nailed together... It'll print like crazy.

Still, I don't object to having another compact semi-auto on the market... More choices are always good.

But it is no PPK replacement.
Old 03-18-2007

Arrow Walther PPS.

Introduced at the IWA. It will be part of the reportage. I have already mentioned it somewhere, if you look at my last posts.

WALTHER was also introducing a new brand of .22-LR pistols, the SP-22, in three different barrel lenghts.

And, yes, the main reason why the PPS was made -IS- to replace the PP/PPK. At least, that's what the guys at Walther told me, and that's what they want to do.

And it isn't any "too bulky". I have extensively handled it. Believe me, I am small and thin, and nobody better than me can find out when a gun is "too bulky". The PPS is truly thin and compact.

I have a brochure to scan, and several pictures snapped by the magazine photographers, to be part of the incoming IWA report. Unfortunately, even reducing them in size as best as I can, there's no way to make them fit the attachment limits for this board. And I have no idea about how to use Imageshack. Sorry.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Last edited by PT-The Italian Commie : 03-18-2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-19-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-The Italian Commie
And, yes, the main reason why the PPS was made -IS- to replace the PP/PPK. At least, that's what the guys at Walther told me, and that's what they want to do.

I have a brochure to scan, and several pictures snapped by the magazine photographers, to be part of the incoming IWA report. Unfortunately, even reducing them in size as best as I can, there's no way to make them fit the attachment limits for this board. And I have no idea about how to use Imageshack. Sorry.
How compare a 9mm Parabellum pistol with another in .380 ACP (or .32 ACP), the recoils are very different...

With Imageshack only 1,5 MB allowed but you can use Megaupload:
http://www.megaupload.com (until 500 MB allowed)
Old 03-19-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger
How compare a 9mm Parabellum pistol with another in .380 ACP (or .32 ACP), the recoils are very different...

I know, but they prolly start from one point: .32-ACP and .380-ACP are obsolete for almost all purposes. All people which I have had the occasion to talk with since when I am with DIANA ARMI have all found themselves agreeing on one point: no matter how hard the recoil is, when it's about personal defense, NEVER rely on ANYTHING under 9mm (.9x21mm-IMI in Italy, no .9mm Para, yet... ).
.32-ACP and .380-ACP can still be trusted as for a BACKUP defense pistol, but again, common opinion here, if you need a backup self-defense pistol (if you need to carry more than ONE firearm for defense), you're either Private Security personnel, or in big BIG trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger
With Imageshack only 1,5 MB allowed but you can use Megaupload:
http://www.megaupload.com (until 500 MB allowed)

Thanks for the tip!
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 03-19-2007

I think you can make use of the .380 (9x17mmK) or 9x18mm for personal defense, but on the other hand; besides size there is no real reason to go below 9mmP in power. Of course, in 9 times out of 10 i would much rather be packing a rifle then a handgun in a firefight. One important factor of a handgun for personal protection is the deterrent factor when opposed to threats who is not armed with guns, and then pretty much any gun will do.

I think the Walther looks interesting; a shrunken P99 which makes me think about the failed russian design P96S. Not so sure about the quicksafe thing...
What is that part of the trigger guard that looks like it is a moveable part? Just design?
Old 03-19-2007

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesare
What is that part of the trigger guard that looks like it is a moveable part? Just design?
That's the mag release.

A person convinced that the ends justify the memes.
Old 03-19-2007

Cesare, don't you know the mag release in the Walther P99? It's a little, flat, double lever (placed on both sides, ambidextrous) on the lower rear part of the trigger guard. Readily accessible with the thumb no matter if you shoot the gun left-handed or right-handed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P99.JPG (186.6 KB, 5 views)

Old 03-19-2007
Administrator

Default Three Words....

Trigger safeties suck.

On top of that it looks like a POS Glock.
Old 03-19-2007
Super Moderator

Trigger safeties have their use.

For semi-trained lowest-common-denominator morons who never handled a firearm before they joined [insert military/police/whatever here].

For me, I want a real safety, and a nice, smooth, crisp trigger without some weird safety to screwup my aim or break and leave me SOL.