This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 03-22-2007
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

I have never heard of trigger accidents with the Glock, and i dont really see your argument for manual safeties (though it is what i would opt for myself). "Everyone in the military" is referring to U.S. armed forces? Glock is standrad sidearm in many countries which is then also what the soldiers have trained with. Glock is also extremly easy to fieldstrip and maintain.

It is true that the military doesnt go for the best, this is as true for airplanes as for handguns. In fact i think the military establishment is one of the most conservative institutions there is. The politics of arms-purchases are quite complicated, and sometimes plain dumb.
Old 03-22-2007

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

Pulling the trigger to field strip is BAD. And every soldier in every military in the world is trained to use manual safeties, EVERY standard issue rifle has them. In fact, it's contradictory to have people training for them on one personal weapon but not another.

A person convinced that the ends justify the memes.
Old 03-22-2007

OK i get your point for safety concerns glock fieldstripping is not the best but i still think it is simple & tough (i had it in my military service). Manual safety or not i think that the key to good firearms handling is to know your weapon very well rather than to be aware of the general principles (as a manual safety). Soldiers must learn every gun he is likely to use regardless of diffrent principles. In fact he should in my opinion train in foreign firearms as well, that would be a good way to learn diffrent general functions. You never know when your life might depend upon using a non-standard issue firearm.
Old 03-22-2007

Question As for Tanfoglio having no decocker...

...WHAT models are you talking about? Because, yes, the baseline "Combat" and "Compact" models (marketed in the USA respectively as the EAA "Witness" and "Witness Compact") do not have them. The latest polymer-framed ones do. Some are even made in DAO (for who wants/needs them... DAO pistols BTW). And Tanfoglio has a considerable array of calibers available. Hell, Tanfoglio is the only manufacturer in the world, other than Glock, still normally offering a gun in 10mm Auto, and with good sales!
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack