This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 03-24-2007
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote
Default "Controversial" Comic free on the web.

I was looking up some info on Epic comics and ran into an old one I'd heard of before... Captain Confederacy. I remembered something about it, so I looked around a bit and found some news article about it being "racist", as accused by a mother who skimmed one issue a couple decades later. Really, the series was anything but racist, though some people are quick to make conclusions and just as likely to stereotype as anyone they'd point fingers at.

Anyway, I found out the creator put the original 12 issue story on the web free to read. The writing is good, though I give the art mediocre scores.

Check it out

A person convinced that the ends justify the memes.
Old 03-24-2007

Angry Oh, not to mention...

That it -IS- bloody racist.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 03-24-2007

Default How did I just KNOW PT was going to pop up on this thread.

I personally felt a really /anti-racist/ undertone through the whole thing.
Old 03-24-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-The Italian Commie
That it -IS- bloody racist.

BLOODY READ IT FIRST.

Then you'll apologize. Or are you going to try to convince me you did more than skim the whole series in less than 4 minutes PT?

That's just a link to the first issue as well, there are 11 more over on the side panel.

Last edited by JCoyote : 03-24-2007 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-24-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoyote
BLOODY READ IT FIRST.

Then you'll apologize.

That's just a link to the first issue as well, there are 11 more over on the side panel.

I -HAVE- read it. That's why I say it's racist.

But of course, Americans and Europeans have different ideas of what is "racist" and what is not. Maybe because we bear the shame of what we did to "different persons" during WW-2, and I feel ashamed of being an Italian and an European when I see and hear that there still is that kind of people around me.
But your Country has its share of burden to consider: the slavery, the Confederation (yes, I consider the Confederation no better in the storyline of America than what Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy have been in the storyline of Europe, and I consider the Confederated flag as the Amerikaner Swastika), and later, the segregation laws, the Ku-Klux-Klan, and all that happy stuff.

Maybe you think that civil right laws have washed away the stamps from your past. The truth is that, no matter how hard you wash it, the blood NEVER comes out of your hands. NEVER.

And what's worse, you're adding blood on blood.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 03-24-2007

12 issues in 4 minutes flat. You're a fucking liar PT. And not a very good one at that.

Old 03-24-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoyote
12 issues in 4 minutes flat. You're a fucking liar PT. And not a very good one at that.

About what? About the fact that I could read around, how much? Maybe 30 or 35 panels from Chapter 1 in less than 20 minutes? And mind, my objections only came after CHAPTER ONE, I don't even want to know what's in the following chapters!

BTW, what's strange in reading entire Chapter 1 in so little time? It's standard reading velocity for me.

Old 03-24-2007

OK so you have no eye for subtext.

Let's see... a government that decides it's ok to test radical drugs on black people. A bunch of actors hired to put of a facade of black criminality being defeated by an "ideal" hero. The suggestion of creating a black "sidekick" but only to be "a good example". People deciding the only reasonable answer was to leave the country if they weren't the right color? The actor who plays the Captain leaves the part because of his conscience? Crying because he lost his best friends in all of this?

That's issue 1. Whatever your reading speed, it sure misses a lot... almost everything in fact.

Old 03-24-2007
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-The Italian Commie
But your Country has its share of burden to consider: the slavery, the Confederation (yes, I consider the Confederation no better in the storyline of America than what Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy have been in the storyline of Europe, and I consider the Confederated flag as the Amerikaner Swastika),

I'm no friend of the Confederacy, but please remind me... When did they send 90% of their blacks to the gas chambers? (Of course I forget, all things are relative, so obviously because they used slavery {something Rome should be familiar with} they are equal to the worst case of genocide in history).

And unlike you Europeans, we Americans actually had the guts to stand up to the confederacy and put an end to their abuses and slavery. Unlike Europe which either sided with the Nazis or rolled over in face of their threats.

Quote:
and later, the segregation laws,

As opposed to the segregation of various ethnic groups in Europe today?

Quote:
the Ku-Klux-Klan,

The KKK, if you'll recall, was hunted down and brought to the point that they dare not show their faces in public. I consider this an example of America's dislike of racists, not proof of racism (now should I list some racist groups popular in Europe that are completely accepted in public sight?).

Quote:
Maybe you think that civil right laws have washed away the stamps from your past. The truth is that, no matter how hard you wash it, the blood NEVER comes out of your hands. NEVER.

Then you have no right to talk. Your nation is thus to blame for the incredible abuses of the Roman empire, the Catholic Church and Fascist Italy all together... You make us look like innocent little lambs.
Old 03-24-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by UZI4U
Your nation is thus to blame for the incredible abuses of the Roman empire, the Catholic Church and Fascist Italy all together...

As for FASCIST ITALY, you can bet. Especially since the people who governs this damn Country still allows the existence of Parties and movements that openly declare to base their beliefs and ideology upon Fascism itself. While our postwar Consititution openly forbids them. Not even the "LAW", but the -CONSTITUTION-. Mo'fo's.

As for CATHOLIC CHURCH, well, the Vatican City is an independent State and Italy has no control over it, so...

As for the ROMAN EMPIRE, well, I guess the Jews are still a little bit angry for that little problem at Masada and the Diaspora, but speaking dispassionately... don't you think you are going A LITTLE BIT TOO FAR BACK in the history timeline?

Quote:
I'm no friend of the Confederacy, but please remind me... When did they send 90% of their blacks to the gas chambers? (Of course I forget, all things are relative, so obviously because they used slavery {something Rome should be familiar with} they are equal to the worst case of genocide in history).

Glad to see you are not friend of a regime that was born only to protect a practice which, although tolerated until a certain time, was in open contrast with the fundamental principles upon which your Country was founded.

Yet I still have to point out that when you speak about Rome, you go a little bit too much back in time. The Confederacy, Fascism, Nazism, Communism, have left an heritage that's somehow still alive. But ROME??? Our jurisprudence is of "Roman" offspring (if this can be said at all), but what else, except some beautiful works of art and ruins?

Quote:
And unlike you Europeans, we Americans actually had the guts to stand up to the confederacy and put an end to their abuses and slavery. Unlike Europe which either sided with the Nazis or rolled over in face of their threats.

Now, THIS is an insult to the memory of all those persons who have been persecuted and killed for having politically opposed the Fascist and Nazist regimes, or have given their lives in fighting them from the ranks of the clandestine Resistence movements.

But I guess, in your eyes, them were mo'fo'ing Reds, so they don't count in the number of the "Good guys", or do they?

Quote:
As opposed to the segregation of various ethnic groups in Europe today?

There is absolutely -NO- law of racial segregation currently in effect in any Country of the European Union. And those European countries that have such laws, can and will -NOT- ever enter to be part of the EU.

But again, you Americans are against the European Union because it reminds something like "Soviet Union" and because it's founded on Social-Democratic principles instead than on libertarian capitalism, or just because there's the danger that it will some day snatch your position of One And Only World-Ruling Superpower©?

Just my guess, of course.

Quote:
The KKK, if you'll recall, was hunted down and brought to the point that they dare not show their faces in public. I consider this an example of America's dislike of racists, not proof of racism (now should I list some racist groups popular in Europe that are completely accepted in public sight?).

The KKK crackdown only came when the the greatest of your Presidents in the second part of the 20th Century (JFK) decided that it was about time to cut the crap. Otherwise it, and all the racial segregation laws of the South, would must probably have continued to go on much, MUCH further.

Oh, and about KKK, here's something that shall touch you personally...

Once again in my history since I am here, I apologize for having created any controversy, I promise I won't put my head back in this tread again, and I kindly salute you. It's time to go to bed.

Last edited by PT-The Italian Commie : 03-24-2007 at 04:43 PM.