This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 03-29-2007
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Armorer
Default SIG 556 hittin' stores

Local shop's been bringing in some real odd balls lately--HK Elite 6", AR50's, LAR, and today?
Sig556's--
Ran home to get my camera (since the wallet won't take it) and they were gone before I was back--4 of them.
Shelled out 1,200 a pop for'em-- 22 for a custom magpul one witth RIS and Vstock.
I did get handle one, felt a weird.
Grip's like a SAW, just a lighter...yet bulkier Beretta AR70...

The thing I missed on reading about is the catch on the bolt. It's similar to the safety on an ak...I'll show my ignorance on the purpose of that or if it's standard on other SIG rifles. My experience with SIG's been shotguns and pistols only.

Quote:
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping a human face...forever" ~George Orwell
Old 03-30-2007
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

SIG shotguns??
Old 03-30-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond
SIG shotguns??

I was wondering the same...
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 03-30-2007
Administrator

Sig has gone through two outside developers to create several of their own brand of shotguns-- Rizzini and Blaser.
The first series of Sig shotguns were the SA5 and the Apollio Aurora TR30 by Rizzini and imported first by SACO and then SIG officially.
When SIG's shop opened in the states, they began also importing Blaser rifles. These included K-series break action shotguns and Luxus Drillings.
Although Blaser has officially gone independant stateside from SIG, it was SIG engineering that Developed the F3.
Like the TR30, the F3 uses a long box and independant mechanical locking hammers instead of the traditional inertial set independant hammers-- in otherwords, the hammers are cocked and fired regardless of a blowback to engage the second barrel-- commonly referred to in American sporting clays as an "italian trigger job."

Still-- Both the SA5 and TR30 are available, although most are coveted heavily by collectors and shooters. Both are incredibly heavier my modern standards, but still fit into a nice bracket in terms of workmanship and cost. A reasonable alternative to a Beretta high-grade competition gun in terms of cost, performance, and reliability.

Quote:
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping a human face...forever" ~George Orwell
Old 03-30-2007

Rizzini is ITALIAN, folk!
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 03-30-2007
Administrator

As well as:
Benelli, Beretta, Gambia, Perazzi, Franchi, Zoli (Z-guns), Valtro, Fabarms-- Although HK contracted Fabarms to produce their shotguns (such as the golden lion-- all crappy, got pics of a friend's Golden Lion that blew up in his hands), Garbi, Kassnar, Richlan, and Sabatti.
"American" manufactured lines like Steoger and Spartan are mostly worked on by Italian shops for beretta (stoeger) and Remington (spartan).
And most "fit" (completely customized stock jobs) Krieghoff, Dupont, and Khoeler shotguns I've seen were worked on by Italians.
Yes PT-- as far as scatterguns go-- the Italian's have the world beat hands down.
I've shot all sorts of models by all those manufacturers and I still like my berettas.

Quote:
Old 03-31-2007
Administrator

This silence from Italy is deafening!

Naw, honestly, I was disappointed by the rifle's size, particularly the forend. If there's any point or value to going off on shotguns, it's the limited range in fit.
Gun fit is one of the most under estimated qualities-- I've seen some champion shooters screw themselves by getting a gun they naturally, instinctively shoot well with customized.
It'll make you want to tear your eyes out watching a guy who just spent 10 grand plus travel expenses flying to Wales to have his 80 thousand dollar Dupont K-series shotgun "fit" only to start missing shots he'd normally break...

The 556...in my hands...was a solid block. Literally. I felt like I was shouldering a 2X4. The grip is an attempt at ergonomics, however, rode against the web. Likewise, the forend had the grace of a landscape timber.
Overall, I felt myself fitting against the gun while playing G.I. Joe in the back storeroom...benefits of being a good customer and helping make sales.
Still...I liked how they've integrated the system-- a better freefloat is in order simply for manueverability.

In retrospect, I'd like to see the thing chambered in .308. It's simply too big a damn gun for a 5.56. I just know firing a 55gr round is gonna make the plungertube rasp like EBRforum mod DukeNukem's mummified girlfriend.

In all, it just makes me want a damn MagpulMasada

Quote:
Old 03-31-2007

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

What I don't get about it, is the lack of a true folding stock. Instead they have something borrowed from an AR 15. Not that a multi position stock is bad, but really they are abandoning a feature of the gun that's a selling point compared to its AR 15 competitors. I personally insist on folding stocks on most of my longarms.

A person convinced that the ends justify the memes.
Old 04-01-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoyote
What I don't get about it, is the lack of a true folding stock. Instead they have something borrowed from an AR 15. Not that a multi position stock is bad, but really they are abandoning a feature of the gun that's a selling point compared to its AR 15 competitors. I personally insist on folding stocks on most of my longarms.

That's because if the gun would have a folding stock, with the stock folded would be under the minimum legal lenght accepted by many Countries for long arms; thus in several places it would be illegal to sell.

Old 04-01-2007

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

All those countries put together might total a third of the sales the US will have. It's definitely a big enough market to have a different stock.

A person convinced that the ends justify the memes.