This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 05-12-2006
Jabroni

Default F-19A Specter

Does anyone know about a stealth fighter plane called the F-19A Specter?
Heard about it somewhere and there were model kits of it made by Monogram, Does it exist?

http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/mod/jacksonf19.htm

There is another Black Aircraft known as the 'Aurora' which is a black triangle shaped recon platform that travels at Mach 6+! believed to have replaced the SR-71.

A former Royal Observer Corps member Chris Gibson was working on the Galveston Key Oil Rig and he claims to have seen a KC-135, Two F-111 Aardvarks and a big black triangle being refuelled.

Could this be the Aurora?

Last edited by Jabroni : 05-15-2006 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-14-2006
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni
Does anyone know about a stealth fighter plane called the F-19A Specter?
Heard about it somewhere and there were model kits of it made by Monogram, Does it exist?

No, that aircraft does not exist, nor any other aircraft that goes by the name 'F-19'. F-19 was skipped on request from Northop, so that their new Super F-5 would get the much-cooler number "F-20".

Odds are we'll never fill that gap. There is no F-19 for the same reason there are so many gaps between F-22 and F-35.

Quote:
There is another one known as the 'Aurora' which is a black triangle shaped recon platform that travels at Mach 6+! believed to have replaced the SR-71

There are several craft that have replaced the SR-71, but none of them were ever known as 'Aurora'.
Old 05-15-2006
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by UZI4U
No, that aircraft does not exist, nor any other aircraft that goes by the name 'F-19'. F-19 was skipped on request from Northop, so that their new Super F-5 would get the much-cooler number "F-20".
This was one of the designs suspected of being the stealth fighter before the actual stealth fighter was formally unveiled. There was a period there some people may forget where we knew we had such a weapon, but didn't know exactly what it looked like. This design was commonly thrown around as a result of that ignorance. In fact, it might be interesting to find out exactly who originally came up with the concept. Was it a failed stealth fighter proposal? Was it disinformation to confuse data about the real fighter? Or was it just the work of an artist's imagination? I even have a model kit somewhere that was for a theorized Soviet stealth fighter that well obviously was impossible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UZI4U
There are several craft that have replaced the SR-71, but none of them were ever known as 'Aurora'.
Aurora was an item on a congressional funding bill that was unidentified but in the place where aircraft research would have been back in what... 1987? Somewhere in there. At that point, various high altitude high speed unrevealed prototypes that were witnessed started being referred to as "Aurora". It is quite possible that there was an Aurora program, but also just as possible that the name got changed after that. A bit like if the Kingfish program was continued (with the less capable but useful SR71 getting the press coverage) odds are it would not have been under that name anymore. Also, being just as likely a program as a particular plane, it could also be that Aurora was never a specific plane, but a program producing a variety of high speed high altitude prototypes.

Although nothing seems to have gone into scale production... it is quite possible that given the speeds some of these craft would be capable of and the need for intelligence only they could provide... that they never would go into tracable scale production. The world becomes a pretty small place when you go hypersonic. When 4 to 6 craft could fulfil the requirements for intel gathering needed from the craft, I wouldn't expect the things to get past the "prototype" stage. Ever. In which case, aircraft designs could be tested, used for recon, and retired after years of useful service without ever being declassified. Ever.

At least, in the current situation, that's how I'd do things.
Old 05-16-2006
Jabroni

Ok the F-19 was a Cold War cover up for the F-117 Nighthawk But i do believe the Aurora exists since i heard people claiming to see it or somthing with that description

http://www.draxium.com/ufo.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southerncountie...ne/story.shtml

RAF Machrihanish, now a deserted Airbase in scotland is still used for military purposes but is also used often by the USAF, Its also known for a pit stop for the Aurora
http://www.black-triangle.co.uk/deployments.htm

http://www.dreamlandresort.com/black...hrihanish.html
Old 05-16-2006
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni
Ok the F-19 was a Cold War cover up for the F-117 Nighthawk

No, it wasn't, it was skipped because Northrop asked for it to be, so they could get "F-20" for the super-F-5.

A gap in the designation sequence caused a bunch of people to theorize it was a black program, it was not, and never has been.

The whole F-19 thing is the result of over-active imaginations.

Quote:
But i do believe the Aurora exists since i heard people claiming to see it or somthing with that description

Okay, that photo is fake. It was an 'artists conception' of what some guy said he saw.
Quote:

Okay... That photo shows... what? Notice those hangars in the background? They aren't all that big, and this object is in front of them. Whatever that object is can't be very large, nowhere near large enough to be a hypersonic recon aircraft.

Sorry to cash a reality cheque.
Old 05-16-2006
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

Not everyone seems to agree with your account of the requested gap Uzi. I wonder if the company involved in the account backs up the claim?

Anyway, it is funny how the odd numerical designation of F-117 just happens to be the same spot in sequence for the pre-unified number sequence that F-19 would be in the unified sequence. Maybe someone has a sense of humor somewhere.

Here is the wiki on the F-19. As for the particular model shown here, it seems that perhaps it was indeed just an artist's conception, though there probably is some basis in facts of stealth theory given its form does have stealth potential.

Janes was using F-19 to mean the Lockheed stealth fighter as early as 1984; it would not surprise me if the project got a name/designation change on being nearly outed by Janes. Since a usable aircraft program obviously wouldn't be scrapped for being nearly found out, the only alternative is a name change.
Old 05-24-2006
Jabroni

I was actually discussing about the F-19 and Project Specter before, One forum member claims that he/his friend? saw a black aircraft F-111ish size with droopy wings fly underneath his plane and believes it could have took off from Nellis AFB.

The F-4 Phantom was once designated F-110 Specter and the F-111 Aardvark was nearly designated F-19

OK its just a typical 80s game ad but somthing similar to this design might exist but under another designation like F-24,
F-25 or so on

Still a piece of cold war history though

Such a nice aircraft design i would have these built if i was a pentagon official, Even the heavier F-119 pictured above

I was discussing about it here
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread176551/pg1

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread187466/pg1

Last edited by Jabroni : 05-26-2006 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-24-2006
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoyote
Not everyone seems to agree with your account of the requested gap Uzi. I wonder if the company involved in the account backs up the claim?

Call them and ask .

To add another layer of fuzziness to how the F-117 got its name, one of the first test pilots for the Have Blue and later Senior Trend said that early in the program it was actually called the "F-17", inspite of the fact the YF-17 was built a few years before that.

One must keep in mind that these secret programs blur the line between 'official' and 'unofficial'. The Skunk Works doesn't help clearing things up any, and they like it that way.

A black project aircraft early in development and production could be called almost anything, on an unofficial basis. Over time these 'officially unofficial' names, nicknames and codenames used by developers, makers, pilots and commanders result in layer upon layer of confusing paradoxes and contradictions.

All of this actually helps with project security.

Similar games were played on the A-12/YF-12/R-12/RS-71/M-21/SR-71... Among other names for the Archangel/Oxcart/Blackbird.

Last edited by UZI4U : 05-24-2006 at 07:17 PM.