This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 08-12-2007
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Question Mk13 Mod0

Could someone tell me something about this rifle
  1. Is it adopted?
  2. Who is the maker
  3. What does it look like? (A pic please)
  4. What scope does it use?

I first thought it was a AW-rifle in .300Win mag but now i have realised it is something else.

Last edited by Cesare : 08-12-2007 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-12-2007

Default In fact you are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesare
I first thought it was a AW-rifle in .300Win mag but now i have realised it is something else.

"Mk-13" IS the US military denomination for the Accuracy International L115-A1, a.k.a. the AW/AWM bolt-action rifle series, as follows:

Mk-13 Mod.0: .308-Winchester
Mk-13 Mod.1: .300-Winchester Magnum
Mk-13 Mod.2: .338-Lapua Magnum

This, obviously, AFAIK. Still AFAIK, the only US military using the AI "Mk-13" series are Special Forces (Navy SEALs, probably, since it's for them that Accuracy International has developed the AS-50 semi-automatic).

The soldier in the picture you've posted is actually an US Marine (Scout Sniper, I suppose). The rifle in his hands is a .7'62x51mm-NATO USMC M40-A3 sniper rifle in desert camo finish, assembled by the US Marine Corps armourers themselves at the armory of the USMC Quantico base (Virginia, same place where the National Academy is, training facility for all rookies of the US Federal Agencies). The M40-A3 is assembled out of both specifically-made, COTS and MOTS (Commercial Off-The Shelf/Military Off-The Shelf) parts.

Specifically, most of the action is from the Remington 700, while the stock is made by McMillan. My Editor-In-Chief has an M40-A4 McMillan stock, I have seen and handled it by myself. He had it after some "licking" some the McMillan booth during the latest SHOT Show. The stock is now c/o a gunsmith in Rome, who is mating it to my EiC's Remington 700-Police. If the thing is half as successful as it should be, he'll be the only European owner of a true M40-A4 sniper rifle. He has even received a Schmidt-&-Bender scope made for the Knight's M110-SASS US Army semi-automatic sniper rifle, which he wants to use with his new "baby". As a former "Marine" (Italian Army, San Marco batallion), he is extremely esigent.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 08-14-2007

Default Re: Mk13 Mod0

Check out this sniper-calender from badger-ordnance where the last one looks like a M40A4 but says Mk13.

http://www.badgerordnance.com/productgroup.php?id=cal07

PDF to download here

I saw another lineup of sniper rifles used by the Navy (SEALs i guess) & modified-mfg by Crane. Cant seems to find the pic but as soon as i do i will post it.
Old 08-14-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesare
Check out this sniper-calender from badger-ordnance where the last one looks like a M40A4 but says Mk13.

Might as well be an error, seen that the links you have posted are unaccessible at the time that I try (8/14/2007, 9:43 p.m., GMT+1).

Oh, and HERE is the scope used standard on USMC M40-A4.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Last edited by PT-The Italian Commie : 08-14-2007 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-14-2007
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Armorer

The scope pictured is a nightforce scope--one of the NXs line by the looks. The turret knob knurling is unmistakable. Alot of career snipers I know have mounted them over reg scopes like the Schmidt and Bender mod 4 and SFWA Sniper scope.
Otherwise, I'd agree that it appears to be a Reminton 700 by the look of the bolt, safety, and trapdoor hinge/lock. The stock is probably a Mcmillion A2 variety.

Quote:
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping a human face...forever" ~George Orwell

Last edited by Armorer : 08-14-2007 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-15-2007

i belive youre right that it is a Remington 700 action, the whole rifle from the Badger catalogue looks like a M40A4-upgrade of sorts. Thanks for the assisantance both of you, but im still not convinced that this is just a missprint or misstake. I know there has been talk about renewal or upgrade of the navies snipersystems.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mk13Mod0.JPG (52.9 KB, 6 views)
Old 08-15-2007
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Armorer

It's not--
I've read similar reports about the marines with the .408 CheyTac. Same with it's 50 cal brother in the army. Thing about the pic is the guy's patch-- heart with a skull-- seen it sold in most hottopics. Probably one of those emo-goth things. That's for sure.

Quote:
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping a human face...forever" ~George Orwell
Old 08-16-2007

Red face Re: Mk13 Mod0

I did not find the unit, this patch is the same one as that the tag of a punk band ("Alkaline Trio", heart skull):

Old 08-16-2007

Question May this simply be a civvie?

I mean, an advertisement picture with a civvie/actor/anything else dressing up like a Marine or a Soldier (that kind of outfit is easy to pick up at military stores) embracing a custom-made rifle for some factory or gunmaker? It'd be interesting to know, Cesare, where did you got the picture of the man. If it's from Badger Ordnance, maybe it's an ad pic.