This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 10-21-2007
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Default HK announces production of civilian HK416 and 417 to begin 3Q 2008

HKPRO has the full story.
Old 10-21-2007

Default Screw HK

they have allways treated civilian's like shit No replacement parts for legally registered Machineguns. They also will not service any legally registered NFA firearm.So now that they are lacking in Law enforcement and military contracts now they are going to start sucking up to the civilian sales again.
Screw HK
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 10-21-2007

Default Re: HK announces production of civilian HK416 and 417 to begin 3Q 2008

I'm too passionate about letting companies have the right of decision on their own policies (and leave them to take the consequences themselves), as opposed to being bound by federal regulations on 'ethics', so I can't rightly have an opinion on HK's business decisions.

That being said, screw HK's business executives, I just want that weapon.

I guess that touches on another thing that I constantly voice to people. Politics should stay the hell out of weapons selection. Even on my own individual level.

Last edited by Mk23 : 10-21-2007 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-22-2007
Super Moderator

I doubt it works better than many of the other AR-15 pistol systems. Probably costs twice as much while we're at it.
Old 10-22-2007

True.

But if money was that much of a problem for me, I'd buy one of the others.

Hell, chances are I'll buy one of the others later anyway.
Old 10-24-2007

Thumbs down Quick reply.

Things are NOT going like you think/wish them are. Sorry.

Believe me, we at the magazine have some right sources.

Actually, Heckler&Koch ALWAYS wanted to sell the HK-416 and HK-417 to the American civilian customers, but they couldn't, because of the 1986 Import bans. So they had to wait HK-USA to complete the tooling to manufacture in-house the MR-223 and MR-308 (that's how they will be called).
They seem to have no interest whatsoever in selling them outside of the US market. They received the certification of the BKA (German Federal Criminal Investigations Bureau) just to certify that these are NOT "Weapons of War", so that they will be able to manufacture in Germany and ship to the US certain parts for these rifles that HK-USA can not manufacture, without being forced to halt the shipment 'cause of a violation of the 1986 "Assault weapons import ban".

As for the rest, HK has not changed its sales policy one little bit. You won't see any civvie G-36 or XM8.

It's sad, isn't that?
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 10-24-2007

Arrow Re: HK announces production of civilian HK416 and 417 to begin 3Q 2008

MR-223 and MR-308 .pdf file HERE

More infos: http://www.hkpro.com/hkpro416civilianannouncement.htm
Old 10-25-2007

Thumbs down Let the HK-PRO "Experts" speak.

They announced the MR-223 and MR-308 sale "within Germany" only because Heckler&Koch has obtained a certification from BKA (the German equivalent of the FBI), which is mandatory in Germany for all "military-style" firearms before them can be sold to German civilians. This certification simply demonstrates that them are not "Military weapons", this means that them are not former-military rifles converted to civilian use (es. with the auto sear removed) and that them can be nor easily converted to select-fire/full-automatic operation.

Fact is, the said certification is also required by the Government of the United States to certify that the weapon is not an "Assault Weapon", so that parts of it can be imported from Germany without violating the 1986 ban. And THAT'S the reason why the BKA certification has been obtained by H&K: so that the Oberndorf factory can supply HK-USA with certain parts for the manufacture and the maintenance of US-manufactured civvie/semi 416s and 417s. There is no plan whatsoever to distribute them in any other place than the US, and even there, I suspect, them will be made in extremely small numbers: why wait to the 3rd or 4th quarter 2008 for distribution? Looks to me they are waiting to see if the anti-guns gain the Presidency and/or if the H.R.1022 passes!

Do you want my 2 (Euro)Cents? I think that H&K has agreements with some Governments (including the U.S.) that are trying to limit the gun rights of the populations. Heckler&Koch gains substantial Military & Police contracts, and as a payback, they don't sell "paramilitary" or "tactical" weaponry to civilians. They even halted the pussy SL-8!

I will believe that H&K has changed its civilian sales policy when I'll see semi-auto 416s and 417s on stand "offered to the civilian markets" at the SHOT Show and at the IWA. Until then, the H&K policy on civilian sales of tactical firearms is to me.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Last edited by PT-The Italian Commie : 10-25-2007 at 03:31 AM.
Old 10-26-2007

Question "Experts" ???

Let the HK-PRO "Experts" speak

You say "Experts" about you ?
Old 10-26-2007

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger
You say "Experts" about you ?

Mmmmprhhh!

No, seriously.

Again, I say: I will believe it when I'll see it at the SHOT Show AND at the IWA. I don't really think that H&K has any interest in selling this in Germany or in the rest of Europe. They might want to sell it in the US (and that's why it took so long: HK-USA had to tool, and they had to obtain the German BKA certification so to be able to import some parts from Germany without violating the 1986 ban), but again, we will be lucky if it is going to be anything more than a Limited Edition or something.

I might be wrong, of course. But I still won't bet my ass on it and I'll really believe it when I'll see it.