This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 11-09-2007
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Armorer
Default New USMC sniper rifle?

http://www.deathfromafar.com/htm/iba_weaponsys_xm3.html
Iron Brigade's been spouting that they got the Darpa contract for the new sniper system-- calling it the XM-3 and charging 19,000 dollars for it. I'm to think this is bullshit-- what about ya'll?

Quote:
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping a human face...forever" ~George Orwell
Old 11-09-2007
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Default Re: New USMC sniper rifle?

Thought it was bullshit at first. Did some searching, and nothing I can find suggests it isn't legit.

That price includes what they're calling a 'Universal Night Sight', a rifle scope and a suppressor. Depending on what exactly these items are, it puts the cost of the actual standalone rifle at around the cost of a high-end custom rifle.
Old 11-10-2007

19000 US$ for a pimped-up Remington 700 that I could build by myself in my garage using COTS apparel? Overpriced junk, methinks!
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 11-10-2007

Like I said, most of that money is probably optics.

Depending on exactly what this Universal Night Sight is, the actual rifle cost could be closer to $5000 and probably some development cost.

A lot more than I'd pay for a .308 18.5" barrel, but sounds closer to being accurate.
Old 11-10-2007
Administrator

Yeah-- 90% of that's optics--
NVD on a typical jacked up price-- 10-12 grand.
Surefire suppressor I think is about 2,400
the Ti- parts another 1 to 2 grand.

But seriously-- I could buy a Hart custom with an all Titanium action in .308 (or any caliber i'd want really) for 5 grand or less.
What you've got there is an over inflated cost because of unlimited defense spending and someone's inflated ego.

What I can't believe is that both the cheytac and Knights M110 are both nearly 10 grand cheaper-- and much better weapons!

Quote:
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping a human face...forever" ~George Orwell
Old 11-10-2007

Not to mention the XM3 sounds like it's fit for a role better served by a (another) modified M14 (I still like them better than XM110s, what can I say?)

18.5" barrel and suppressor... this isn't a 1000-yard rifle, that's for sure.

Anything closer than that and I'd want semi-auto.
Old 11-10-2007
Administrator

Truly-- What I can't stand is that Chandler's bragged that the rifle's fit 1,000 yards, but waffles after that. Which stands to reason, why the hell would our armed forces outfit for a rifle that doesn't have the range or effectiveness than even the Cheytac or KA which are both rated out to another 800-900 yards?

Quote:
Old 11-11-2007

I can see a niche for it as a secondary weapon in urban environments, so the user can keep a standard assault rifle for the most part, and switch to the XM-3 when he reaches a vantage point (urban environments don't usually have shots that far, even for snipers after all). In which case it'd be better with a folding stock. And even then I'd prefer a semi-auto rifle to take the place of both the standard assault rifle, AND the XM-3.

And it'd almost certainly cost a great deal less.
Old 11-11-2007

Default Look, bud...

One of the best and finest sniper/sharpshooter/marksman weapons out there is the SMIR, "Super-Match Interdiction Rifle" (formerly MSMI, "Magnum Super-Match Interdiction"), custom-made by Arms-Tech Ltd. of Phoenix, AZ. You can see it HERE and HERE. If I had to choose between the two, I'd take it. The new-generation SMIR, particularly, has a slightly shorter barrel, and really is more practical as the "Second Weapon" option you've been talking about.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack