This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 05-17-2006
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Have you ever tried it?

I haven't, because even the craziest health food hippies in the states have enough sense not to create ultra-rotten cheese as a "natural delicacy".
Old 05-17-2006

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

I think the first person who tried it was really hungry. And likely a little insane too. I'm sure that's how a lot of strange foods start.

But damn... I'm not into eating maggots of any kind. Hell, I can see eating grasshoppers or locusts even mealworms but... maggots? WTF??? And LIVE?

Anyway... cheese is a weird food in the first place, being rotten milk. But adding maggots to something is going too damn far.
Old 05-17-2006

Maggots are a source of tickly protein, though!
Old 05-17-2006
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoyote
I think the first person who tried it was really hungry. And likely a little insane too. I'm sure that's how a lot of strange foods start.

Makes you stop and think about how smoking got started, doesn't it?

Nothing against smoking... It just must have taken someone really crazy to try it first.

Quote:
But damn... I'm not into eating maggots of any kind. Hell, I can see eating grasshoppers or locusts even mealworms but... maggots? WTF??? And LIVE?

I cannot understand eating insects of any kind, haven't you folks seen Starship Troopers?!?

Quote:
Anyway... cheese is a weird food in the first place, being rotten milk. But adding maggots to something is going too damn far.

I've always thought the same thing about cheese.
Old 05-18-2006

Default Actually,

Cheese isn't "rotted", it's "fermented".

PT, isn't there a similar regional specialty in Sardinia made from similarly...um, "fermented" Tuna?

If you can't beat them, join them. Then beat them. Barring that, arrange to have them beaten.
Old 05-18-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon Guy
PT, isn't there a similar regional specialty in Sardinia made from similarly...um, "fermented" Tuna?

HMMM... not that I know, no. Here in Sardinia, "we" normally make homemade "bottled" Tuna (boiled, and conserved in tightly closed glass jars in oil and herbs & spices), but there is also an European-scale industry, the PALMERA company located nearby the city of Olbia, that makes normal canned tuna as everybody knows it.

But mind, I usually don't like, and I'm not interested in, any regional specialty that includes food that's, well, "fermented" in that way. I might be called an "ignorant", but maggots are better left to rotten bodies.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Last edited by PT-The Italian Commie : 05-18-2006 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-18-2006

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon Guy
Cheese isn't "rotted", it's "fermented".

Fermented is just a politically correct term for rotten.
Old 05-18-2006

Default No, it's not.

Rotting involves autolysis. Fermentation does not.

If you can't beat them, join them. Then beat them. Barring that, arrange to have them beaten.
Old 05-18-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-The Italian Commie
HMMM... not that I know, no. Here in Sardinia, "we" normally make homemade "bottled" Tuna (boiled, and conserved in tightly closed glass jars in oil and herbs & spices), but there is also an European-scale industry, the PALMERA company located nearby the city of Olbia, that makes normal canned tuna as everybody knows it.

What oils and spices are in the bottled tuna? And do you guys have tuna packed in olive oil?
Old 05-19-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthulhu
What oils and spices are in the bottled tuna? And do you guys have tuna packed in olive oil?

Of course we have Tuna packed in EXTRA-VIRGIN olive oil. Made right here.

As for the herbs and spices used in homemade bottled tuna, it's about sage (Salvia Officinalis), rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis), and things like that.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack