This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 01-26-2007

Default What, am I the only ham here?

We'll besides TJ? anyone have any radios for deal?I'm looking for a 2 meter 440 handheld!
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 01-27-2007
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Default I have a question.

How is the radio-amateur activity regulated there in the USA? Here in Italy, simple Walkie-Talkies are free to acquire and use but higher-powered radios (like vehicle CBs, etc.) need a license (nothing hard, just fill a form and pay a tax), and all apparels that might allow you to sneak into Police/Military/Emergency line are off-limits for civvies.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 01-28-2007

Default FRS type radios are unregulated

as are CB Radios, everything else Takes a Amatuer Radio liscense
witch is not that hard to get you just have to study enough to pass a test.
You can take the test online untill you can pass it everytime!
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 02-02-2007
Esteemed Guest

Default Would you like a trivia radio?

Here is an unusual transmitter from my small collection. Can you name what it is?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo1..jpg (24.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 02-02-2007

Default Well..... glad to see you!

I've been wondering how you've been doing. Long time no hear from!
I have no idea what that is.I've only hauled around PRC-77's and PRC-25's
and thats been a dam long time ago.I saw a Manuel at Universal Radio all about US Military Radios I almost picked it up.It was accually written in basic English rather than Milspeak.Kind pricey though.I'm picking up a Yaesu VX-170 once they gett'em in stock. We had a vehicale slid off the side of a hill in the Zaleski state forest while hunting wild boar the guy could'nt get no cell reception.and had to walk 6 miles into town.Good thing no one was hurt.They could have froze to death before anyone found'em.So its kinda renewed my interest in Ham Radio Still have my license so I might as well take advantage of it.
I hope things are going well with your efforts. Its seems our president is doing everything in his power bring about failure! best of luck to you Darla
try to post more often I for one miss your insite on things!
Old 02-03-2007
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darla
Here is an unusual transmitter from my small collection. Can you name what it is?

Looks like one of those KGB units they left hidden all over the place in Europe back in the 70's? Seem to recall they had an explosive pack on them to discourage the curious like the GPS satellite units from back in the day. Not that I would know about that, just heard about it from a friend whose cousins second wifes inbred brother might have mentioned in passing.

Now here is an interesting little gem. Any guesses who built it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Iraq.jpg (20.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 02-03-2007

I'ts all squiggly lines!
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 02-03-2007
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-The Italian Commie
I'ts all squiggly lines!

You dummy! You should be the first one to know who the manufacturer is. It was made in Italy.

Last edited by TJ : 02-08-2007 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-04-2007

Default I've never seen this stuff

at any of the Ham swap meets, Not even the big Dayton Hamvention.
I bet the storys on how you aquired this stuff is proably more interesting than the Radio's themselves!
Old 11-01-2008

Default Re: Would you like a trivia radio?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darla

Transmitter or just an antenna tuner?