This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 01-16-2008
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Default Re: Trivia

Only when compared to another polymer framed pistol.

Polymer = lightweight

Metal = heavy.

Even if the recoil impulse of the PX4 is lessened (HK USP handguns have a similar recoil reduction system), the PX4 has a much higher center of gravity with all the heavy parts high up in the slide.

Which means it bucks more in the hand than a metal frame pistol.
Old 01-16-2008
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Armorer

Wow...way to drag this one off base PT-- this because it's not in your index?
The PX4 is nothing but the 8000 Cougar again-- just a smaller grip radius and still the same domed upper.
As far as rotational barreled assemblies and 9mm being too light-- what if the FNH "Unique" in smaller cartridges? sorry, pass along.

It's still a better system than the fixed barrel assembly sported by guns like the PPK, but there's a reason why they're not fullsized weapons.

Still-- no.
I'd dare say polymer guns aren't without their faults without ammo preference like any other delayed blowback.
Try shooting leadnose bullets out your glock for example and see if you can hit the broad side of a Vatican.
Seriously PT, you don't need to feel like we're insulting the small size of your package everytime we bring up 1911's as proven platforms.

Although, you'd be interesting in knowing that most of the 1911 communities I frequent do discuss what the 1911 would have become had JMB lived another 80 years. And the general concensus has been it'd look like the XD or S&W M&P.

Now, you gonna stop yer Italian chest beating and stop worrying about Beretta's rep or are you gonna make a guess to what guns these are?

Quote:
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping a human face...forever" ~George Orwell
Old 01-17-2008

Roger that...

No, seriously... I am not a big expert of 1911s, so if the latter one in the 2nd pic isn't an Unertl, I don't have a clue...
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 01-22-2008
Administrator

Truth be told these pistols were made back in the 90's as a pre cursor to the MEU SOCOM program.

Quote:
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping a human face...forever" ~George Orwell
Old 01-25-2008
Administrator

Alright, for an utter lack of interest in this one, i.e. nobody's made shit for guesses...
I said these aren't JUST 1911's--
and if the answer isn't a 1911A1...
Then the answer is...
1911A2

While the XM program got underway in the mid-90's, the AMU didn't officially begin beuilding the speculative model until late '99, early 2000.
The frames and slides were made by Caspian, stainless steel in the white.
The barrels manufactured by Robar, and the majority of the ignition parts supplied by Cylinder and Slide-- hence the picture of the mustachioed infamous Bill Laughridge.
more pics

Note the Serial Number in this one:

Quote:
Old 01-26-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armorer
Alright, for an utter lack of interest in this one, i.e. nobody's made shit for guesses...
No Armorer, I sought much time the solution but it was really not easy.
Old 01-26-2008

I really REALLY have to admit, I had NEVER heard of a "1911-A2" before...!
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 01-27-2008
Administrator

IT is something for 1911er's to spot though-- there's the obvious and subtle modifications that would seperate it between a 1911, A1, and then the A2.

The first obvious difference would be the rail--
While spec-ops grade weapons were national match grade, from guts to barrel and bushing-- the caspian frame is different from the customary Dawson rail often pictured with Vickers class 1911s or 10-8.

The full body rail design offered is more reminiscient of the Springfield TRP Operator first introduced to the market in the late 90's.

The other obvious change is the external extractor.

Unlike early S&W and the failed Kimber series II versions-- the long toe and tuned curvature reflects early conversions by folks like Frank Pachmeyer, and his student, Paul Liebenberg (Pistol Dynamics)s. It is important to note the difference between this variety and those used by smiths like CT Brian.

The rest of the cosmetics are aftermarket specs:
Kings safety
Ed Brown gripsafety
Smith and Alexander mainsping housing (drill and pinned for lanyard)
Mcormick ring combat commander hammer
CMC trigger
Full length and gi style guide rods were both used
Nowlin ramped barrel.

Bomar sights and ribs

Frames are either Caspian Recon or Race Ready Recon.

Alright-- this is the nitpicky stuff reclassifying the weapon in comparison to earlier milspec weapons.
The Ball cut radius on the nose of the slide is lower than either the 1911 and the A1's, and it is further recessed to the frame, lining up with the Ax rail grafted to the dustcover.
The front, forward cocking serrations are a modern touch, but the angle and width deffered from earlier MEU-SOC pistols.
The sights are "melted" into the frame and the front beads oversized for rapid acquisition...
However, this also servers the double purpose for when a suppressor is attached. Most smiths have encountered a higher POI when using a silencer, and increase the front bead size rather than make the front blade longer and risk holster snag.
One thing I have wondered is if the gun hasn't been converted for gas operation.
The ramped barrel assembly is traditionally used in smaller caliber such as 9mm and .38 super where nose to frame ramp angle is crucial. By ramping the larger .45 you seat the barrel deeper into the frame, making it almost fixed, thus eliminating barrel movement as the bullet exits the bore.
The firing pin is seated deeper, and the ejector is filed further back since the gun has a slightly longer stroke. Thus throwing side flash or flung casing lower and more reliably.
The gun is given a slightly longer cycle rate to reduce recoil, muzzle climb, and better POI-- crucial especially when using a suppressor.

Just just because the look of the gun hasn't changed much, doesn't mean that there's 96 years of tinkering behind it to get it working right.
Just cause it's old don't mean it's outdated.
It looks the same, but there's a world of fighting difference there.
No prize for Europe.
America (and me) keep the case of bourbon.

The gentleman was Col. Hickey, man in charge the night the pulled Saddam from his hole, his corporal is toting the green box o'cash found with the hairy hoary geezer.
Noted: cocked, and locked.
Old ain't dead.

Quote:

Last edited by Armorer : 01-27-2008 at 03:13 AM.
Old 01-29-2008

Thumbs up Re: Trivia

One more picture...

One prototype was suppressed
Old 01-30-2008
Administrator

Here's the one i posted earlier if you didn't see it. I've shot a few suppressed handguns-- and the .45 was probably the most fun. Helluva lot less kick.

Quote: