This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 05-15-2006
Super Moderator

Default 6.5 Grendel terminal-ballistics gel tests.

As seen at these places:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=281798
http://www.65grendel.com/forum/showt...=9654#post9654

The ones we've all been waiting for:

120 Grain Norma FMJ, 6.5x38mm, 50 yards:

Old 05-15-2006
Super Moderator

120 grain Sierra MatchKing, 6.5x38mm, 100 yards:

Old 05-15-2006
Super Moderator

123 grain Sierra MatchKing prototype, 6.5x38mm, 50 yards :

There are also tests of a 90 grain varmit bullet, and tests through auto-glass [very impress results, too].

6.5 Grendel, with 30 round magazine, in a SCAR-L, with a good supply of decently priced ammo, and I'll be a happy, happy man.
Old 05-15-2006
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

That's from right to left, right?

Looks hella nasty.
Old 05-15-2006
Super Moderator

Depends, most are left-to-right, some are right-to-left... Just take note of the direction the ruler is pointing.

Last edited by UZI4U : 05-15-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-15-2006

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

Looks properly nasty to me.

Seems like the 6.5 Grendel ends up with the best of all worlds for range, hitting power, fragmentation, cover/armor penetration...

Now if some pencil pushers would just pay attention.

Is the SCAR-L going to be made in 6.5? The AR15's fine, but I really want a next generation rifle to go with ammo this good.
Old 05-15-2006
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoyote
Seems like the 6.5 Grendel ends up with the best of all worlds for range, hitting power, fragmentation, cover/armor penetration...

I'm hoping they'll make a penetrator round for 6.5 like M855... mild steel in the nose, lead in the bacl.

Quote:
Is the SCAR-L going to be made in 6.5? The AR15's fine, but I really want a next generation rifle to go with ammo this good.

FN has no plan to make it in 6.5.

But everything I've seen says it should be possible.

I'll fire them an email asking...
Old 05-16-2006

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by UZI4U
I'm hoping they'll make a penetrator round for 6.5 like M855... mild steel in the nose, lead in the bacl.

Pretty much what I want to see. But hell, screw mild steel, put a case hardened penetrator in! Or tungsten carbide. Well... pure tungsten is too heavy, the bullet might not turn over fast enough with lead behind it. Or at all, with tungsten being heavier.

But damn, tungsten added to the already wicked sectional density of the 6.5 bullets... it just gives me ideas. Like... to give armor piercing while keeping good anti personel hitting power... How about a bullet with a tungsten core, but instead of a solid core it would be made with a sharp penetrator tip followed by a stack of discs? Sort of like a stacked leather knife handle. That way it has good sectional density to punch through hard materials, but if it twisted sideways and broke it would scatter a bunch of discs through the target? Relatively thin discs would have a tendency to tumble individually after that as well... And it wouldn't be too terribly tough to make them, not much tougher than stacking together SS109 is already.
Old 05-16-2006
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Armorer

What about .458 Soccom? There was some shots a guy posted of his .458 with a plethora of some of his rounds including saboted "subsonic" ammo over at the AR15 forums-- incredible stuff all around though. One thing I read on FN's forums was a challenge by one 6.8 manufacturer to Alexander arms to produce modular versions of .50 beowulf and 6.5 Grendel.
I'll see if I can find those articles...

Quote:
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping a human face...forever" ~George Orwell
Old 05-16-2006
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoyote
Pretty much what I want to see. But hell, screw mild steel, put a case hardened penetrator in! Or tungsten carbide. Well... pure tungsten is too heavy, the bullet might not turn over fast enough with lead behind it. Or at all, with tungsten being heavier.

Well, the reason I had been thinking about using mild-steel ala M855 is because anything better is considered AP ammo.

Quote:
But damn, tungsten added to the already wicked sectional density of the 6.5 bullets... it just gives me ideas. Like... to give armor piercing while keeping good anti personel hitting power... How about a bullet with a tungsten core, but instead of a solid core it would be made with a sharp penetrator tip followed by a stack of discs? Sort of like a stacked leather knife handle. That way it has good sectional density to punch through hard materials, but if it twisted sideways and broke it would scatter a bunch of discs through the target? Relatively thin discs would have a tendency to tumble individually after that as well... And it wouldn't be too terribly tough to make them, not much tougher than stacking together SS109 is already.

I've already been kicking around some ideas, the important thing to keep in mind is to make sure the front of the bullet is lighter than the rear.

So, consider a round with a titanium nose section and a tungsten carbide or depleted uranium base.

The Titanium should be sharp, shaped the same as the bullet-nose, and the DU or Tungsten a simple cylinder shape that ends in a 45-50 degree cone, allowing us to take advantage of its self-sharpening abilities.

I've got some more ideas, check the private forum before you reply.

But I must admit, I like that disk idea...

Last edited by UZI4U : 05-16-2006 at 01:18 PM.