This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 02-10-2008

Default Armorer.... My Tax Refund AR build

Here's what Im planning so far,I'm looking to build a 16 Carbine for general use
I'm wanting to make sure Im not making any mistakes. most of you seem to know alot more about AR's than I do so here's the plan so far:

CMMG M-4 16" 1 in 7 twist
Egress Bolt upgrade
PRI Gas buster for my M4-2000
M4 Ramps
LaRue LT606 light mount
LaRue 7 inch free float Rail
Versa pod
Stag arms lower
Chip McCormick Trigger
Vltor stock
Magpul Grip & trigger guard
DPMS Ambi selector

Anything you would do differant?
I was trying to cut the cost a bit by going with a cheaper Rail system
anything you recommend?
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 02-10-2008
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Armorer
Default Re: Armorer.... My Tax Refund AR build

Sure you wouldn't wanna go for the stag upper and the cmmg lower?
I've been really impressed with the fit on'em-- especially those Stag lefties on the CM- lowers. Nothing bad on stag lowers-- I've built several rifles on their lowers using complete delton uppers.
Knowing you and your tastes for popping 'hogs-- in the buff or otherwise-- I'd go with the stag complete upper minus the bolt assembly--
You've got a good bolt group picked already, and a decent upper should come with the m4 ramps.
I'd go chrome lined-- not withstanding, simply to pop shit ammo without worries.
I'd otherwise suggest backing off a twist though to save you cash and options.
A carbine length YHM freefloat's plenty for a metal shield-- if you want lighter, i'd avoid that "knurled" metal stuff for a clark carbon fiber or badger ordnance deal.
What money you save going with barrel, upper, and lower can easily translate into more leftovers for a better gasblock to match the gas buster-- besides keep the frontsight outta your face.

Hell-- for half the Larue rail we could put a rifle length YHM rail like mine with an endcap. Give it that completely suppressed look like the DPMS Tuber-- or we bore out the endcap enough for a nasty krink style flashider.
Still-- it'll kill weight.

Double Star (aka JT Distributing) might put a 1:7 barrel on a stag upper and install a handguard for probably around the 500 or so mark. A plane jane stag upper rolls about 469 while the cmmg starts about a hundred more.

You're the boss-- ain't none of my business, but a round budget figure would be nice. Not cutting corners, getting everything just so, and leaving you some spread for the pocket-- I'd still like to put you in the way of a positive balance. If you're wanting optics, you know I got you covered there.

Quote:
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping a human face...forever" ~George Orwell
Old 02-11-2008

I considered a Stag arms lefty Mainly because I am looking to keep gas outta my face My M4-2000 that TJ sold me is due anytime.
I kinda wanted the 1 in 7 mainly because I have about 4000 62 grainers to reload and I can still shoot my 55 grain Blitz kings with explosive results on the Naked hog hunting.I'm getting away from my 40 grainers
what got me back off the Stag arms upper is what is refered to as "The Chart"
I'm wanting to keep this build under $1500 the Larue rail put it at $1730
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 02-11-2008
Administrator

SHHIIIITTTTT---
I can help ya with a ground up for less'n that. I was figuring keeping it below 900 or so.
Here's what ya do-- you call the folks at AR15barrels.com and ask to see if they'll assemble the upper-- Stag lefty-- 1:7 twist-- badger ordance and get'em to permenantly attach a muzzlebreak threaded for the suppressor.
We cut corners if we have'em use a DPMS barrel since they offer'em in 1:7 and they'll index a bolt to it for you.
I'm pimping the badger ordnance simply for weight-- at 144.
Otherwise, piss in a bucket between:
A) Yankee Hill 4-rail carbine length for 122 or
B) GG&G 1201 for 200

A CMMG or Stag lower receiver-- bare is about 130.
Upper should be about 600 with AR15Barrel doing the grunt work.
45 for guts-- toss on 30 for ambi.
130 for an RRA Boltcarrier assembly/group-- properly staked and has the improved extractor, gas rings, and springs.
Go with a complete Vltor EMOD stock kit for 188-- saves on the small bits-- I'd go with PKfirearms simply because they'd hook you up with a buffer-- either hydraulic (80-90) or lightweight for 20 bucks. Depends on how little "sproing" noise and how fast you wanna shoot. Grip-pod 149. I'd get the magpul basic MIAD grip for 35 and just get the RRA winter guard. It's 5 bucks cheaper and made from machined metal-- thinner and gets in the way less.

oh yeah...gas buster...90.

Don't forget optics, unless you wanna get stuck with some entry level reflex. BUIS are friggin expensive if ya want quality.

What do you want to do about a foreend since we can match a barrel to a lefty upper?

Quote:
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping a human face...forever" ~George Orwell
Old 02-12-2008

I've been talking to this guy http://www.anvilarms.com/ he has me talked into a 1 in 9 looks like he can do it fairly cheap also. I think I'll stick with a right hand ejection. The gas problem should be solved buy the gas buster
I can't do no permenantly attached flash suppressor I have to use the AAC M4-2000 flash suppressor in order to use the Can
Old 02-14-2008
Administrator

Do you mind if he's given you a working quote? PM if you feel better about it.
What have you come up with on handguards. For 50 bucks difference, the GG&G has grown on me.
Been playing with ACE F/X Boomtube stocks lately-- gotta say, they've grown on me for less spriong noise, weight, and comfortability.

Quote:
Old 02-17-2008

Im going with YHM lightweight free float 4 rail forend.I'll be putting a surefire on the Rail.I'm putting lights on damn near anything I own that also why
Im going with the Vltor stock so I can stuff extra 123 batterys into that.
utility and all that shit. this guy in Fla says he can do it all for $750
Old 02-17-2008
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Red face AHEM... excuse me...

Why don't just wait 2nd Quarter 2008 and purchase a Bushmaster ACR (a.k.a. the MagPul ACWS "Masada")?
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 02-17-2008

Default By then the price might be up to

4000 bucks depending on how the politics play out between now and then.
Political shit will drive prices up in short order here in the US.Beside's you can damn near allways find AR parts when you need'em no matter who's in office
Old 02-17-2008
Administrator

PT--
There's conversion kits to manage the same.
Christ, for 1,500 he could have a Noeveske-- though a moderate build like his can be done much more efficiently-- why screw around trying to tune a gas block.

-1 Magpul + bushmaster

I've had to restake gasykeys, replace firingpin retaining cotter pins, and atleast two broken extractors on low-round count bushmaster rifles and carbines.
The Colt 6290 is still a damn standard-- though I'll testify to Sabre Defence and PRI's quality over any other.

Magpul's probably going with bushmaster for the success of their synthetic rifles and pistols-- the C15. They'll need mass production experience in polymer AR parts in getting out the quantities they'll want.
No other company's made it as far with composites-- trust me-- Hesse/Vulcan garbage is not worth an airsoft receiver.
Otherwise, I think it's someone's attempt to honor the m17-- bushie's bullpup in consideration of magpul's own bullpup pdw.

It's still an attempt to make it affordable to the public at the cost of not using a billet receiver offered by someone like POF, Sundevil, or AZEX. Even they come now with enhanced guards.

Still-- 750 ain't nothing to sneeze at.
lemmie write up a total for my cost and I'll see if I can beat that.
The guy in Fla got a site? Watch out for gunbroker jokers...

Quote:

Last edited by Armorer : 02-17-2008 at 11:40 PM.