This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 02-18-2008
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Wink Actually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armorer
Magpul's probably going with bushmaster for the success of their synthetic rifles and pistols-- the C15.

Well, let's say that I have spoken with somebody at Bushmaster & MagPul booths at the SHOT Show. They didn't let out anything explicit or "official", but let's put it in this way: the MASADA is practically the best candidate, out there, to perspectively represent a potential future replacement for the M16/M4 weapon system in U.S. Armed Forces service, since the FN SCAR is still full of defects and other candidates like the HK-416(and other piston-operated AR-15s), the XM8-LAR and/or the Robinson Armaments XCR have been sacked or not even taken into consideration. The MASADA is by MagPul, but MagPul has not the manufacturing capabilities for mass production. Bushmaster has them, furthermore it's already a prime contractor for the US DoD. Hence why MagPul and Bushmaster have tied the knot.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 02-18-2008
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Armorer
Default Re: Armorer.... My Tax Refund AR build

Obviously you missed what I said--
They, Magpul, went with Bushmaster for Mass Production. Period. It's a mistake because there's other companies who'd do a better job in terms of quality and service.
Developer means dick when you got an assembly floor machine shop building guns for quantity and not quality.
No doubt a Bushie made clone is gonna be cheaper, at least us AR heads can maybe get it to run. It's like having a Ford built by Kia.

As for building guns, this is what this thread's for: Building dolphin's AR. Now help or start a new thread to discuss the damn Masada.

Piece mealing togather is expensive at this point:
CMT or CMMG upper--m4 ramps cut for about 130
Handguards for maybe 78
CMC single stage 3.5 trigger for about 165
Wilson barrel for maybe 200
RRA bolt group for 130
YHM phantom gasblock for 25
gas buster for 89
Emod stock w/ buffer, tube, etc. for 188

My price on a Delton kit was a little over 750.
I could probably get the complete upper done by Model 1 for about 350-- you'd need to supply a lower, trigger, and stock kit yourself.
On a good spec cut receiver (130), small parts (35-45 bucks), magpul grip (35), and Vltor stock (165-180, unless TJ could hook you up).
I'd say I could beat the bid, but it depends on what he's all throwing in and if he's including shipping/transfers.

Any of that you want in 1:7 or 1:9-- chrome lined, and either 5.56 or .223 rem.

Quote:
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping a human face...forever" ~George Orwell
Old 02-18-2008

Im still uncertain about this guy he kinda pissed me off on the phone the other day,I was reading the other day about barrel steel he's wanting to sell me a 1 in 9 twist barrel 4140 steel I'd rather have 4150 even if I had to go with a tighter twist 1 in 7 barrel.Here's the thread i've been reading
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7263
I've got al the lower stuff ordered online already.Let me know what you come up with Armor I might just go with you if you can get me a price shipped
here's what im looking for

Flat top 1 in 9 or 1 in7 4150 barrel steel
M4 ramps
YHM leightweigth free float Rail
PRI gas buster
Mil spec semi bolt and carrier propery staked and all that shit
standard front site base
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 02-18-2008
Administrator

EDIT:
http://www.pkfirearms.com/store/get_...ype=0&term=112
These are much more'n what you're wanting, but you can see where they'd cut you a break-- stepping down the rail to the YHM and going bare threads saves a couple hundred alone-- more'n enough for the gas buster.
I'd still stick Sabre Defence--
http://www.pkfirearms.com/store/get_...ype=0&term=116
The CMT upper won't matter-- there's maybe a 30 dollars difference in cost between'em and a Sabre upper, but I've yet to notice a difference.
Swapping the Troy for plain jane YHM is 210 bucks difference--
Gas buster is 78 bucks and an RRA bolt assembly is 130.
so Maybe 625 for a quality upper.

For the sake of argument, the Sabre I believe is a 4150 barrel-- but a 4140 chrome line isn't as likely to rupture unless you're looking to shoot over 300 rounds in less than 4 minutes in full-auto fire.

Quote:
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping a human face...forever" ~George Orwell

Last edited by Armorer : 02-18-2008 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-19-2008
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Default Armorer...

Bushmaster's quality is not exactly what I would call "shit". Doesn't matches OlyArms, nor Sabre Defence, nor Oberland Arms (currently world's best AR maker, IMHO), but Italian Special Forces use M4A1-type carbines built by Bushmaster after having rejected Colt for reliability issues. And they are satisfied with them.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 02-19-2008

Default Ok it's all setted now

Features a Sabre Defence chrome moly vanadium machinegun grade steel 16" govt. contour barrel with mid-length gas system, 5.56 chrome lined bore and chamber, 1/7 twist, M4 feed ramps on barrel extension, F marked front sight tower. Built on A3 uppers with factory M4 feed ramps. Option to build on Sabre Defence M4 upper receiver. Troy Industries 9 inch midlength quad rail installed. Available options to add the excellent quality Rock River Arms AR15 bolt group assembly and forged charging handle at reduced pricing.
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 02-19-2008
Administrator

Dolphin--
You talk to'em today? I enjoyed working with'em before-- and even turned down the offer to have'em assemble my last upper.

PT-- I never said Bushmaster was shit. I'm the douche who lives in the 1911 and AR forums, so I've heard the gripes against Colt and can tell you it's a piss pot. The sum difference is in the quality of the parts and what they define as MIl-Spec.
Bushmaster rifles I've handled and dealt with were not up to the spec reported, advertised, or recommended by those in the know.
Sabre Defence is now the gold standard, but the Big Five manufacturers of AR15/M16 are: 1) Colt Defense/Hartford 2) Armalite 3) DPMS 4) Bushmaster 5) Olympic Arms.
They ain't the best, but they're who put'em out there fastest and with the greater variation in models.
Do not forget that even friggin Remington now has an AR line-- no doubt built on National Inc forged lowers-- or so we can hope.

I merely stated my opinion-- Magpul went with Bushmaster to massproduce'em by the lowest bidder: make'em cheaper for buyers. With the shitstorm coming in November, Sabre Defence said they ain't willing to up that many more models until they know they're gonna be able to sell'em.

Look-- you want to know where I think Magpul is screwin the pooch?
I want a billet lower-- integral trigger guard and capped/spaced fire control box.
I want a proportional magwell that'll A) not let crap in, but B) also allow room for drop-free changes.
If the upper is a free standing piston system, then I want an overbored gasport in my barrel by at least .0160 over spec and that includes the through-port in the upper reciever-- which would again require a billet like a VLtor.

Really PT, why fucking argue with me on the one gun I can honestly say that out every frigging one we look at on this forum, I can make run like a fucking top.
Seriously, stop-- I don't know what you're trying to argue or what you're being up tight about.
I am a fan of Magpul, but not Colt
Nobody suggested Colt should make'em, quite the opposite.
If Magpul wants to do it right, they oughta go to their consumers and ask who they want it done by. Even DPMS would have been a better option-- though IMHO not nearly the service you get with even a shit plinker like an OlyArms.
If you went by any of the forums Dolphin's linked to or mentioned, you'd see alone that bushmaster is thought very ill of by most m4/ar15 circles. They stand below even CMMG and STAG in my opinion, and that after having built AR's from CMT, CMMG, Stag, DPMS, Bushmaster, Essential, Spike, Olympic, Colt, Sabre, JT/Double Star, and even Jp Enterprises Lowers.
Only one's I've yet to work on are Billet receivers by POF, Sundevil, or AZEX-- though I have shot rifles made with'em.

Still-- Having built quite a few damn AR's using most available lowers, I can say that Magpul could have done a lot worse, but they're not doing anyone any favors by not going with someone better.
Period.

Quote:
Old 02-20-2008

Default Yes thats who I ordered from

I think I made a dam good choice its not a Noveske but it will do me fine..
Yea PT Bushmaster do in fact blow horse cock.
here's a good thread explaining why
http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=7376
Old 02-20-2008
Administrator

Mind sharing the kit info? barrel, upper, bolt, etc. besides the gasbuster? I imagine you saved a ton stepping down from the Troy rail to the YHM.

Ya got optics in mind yet, or are you gonna have to wait?

My last paycheck came in, and while it ain't enough for an upper-- I'm gonna drop 400 on a trophy hog hunt in Fla.
Get's me two squealers-- I'll be sure to send you a pound of bacon.

Still, should a couple hundred extra make it into my pocket next couple of months, I'd like to maybe get a 16" kit from PK for light weight 3-gun fun. So, I'm gonna want pics and a field report brother.

Quote:
Old 02-21-2008

Default I kept the Troy Rail

here's the url i liked the looks of it so I just bought it outright
http://www.pkfirearms.com/store/get_...action=display