This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 03-06-2008
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Armorer
Default New .300 project-- poor man's Sako '85

While not a true '85 action-- the Browning A-bolt is a good platform as an alternative to dual lugs like the Remington or breachface guns like the weatherby. It uses a much simpler extractor design, and a fully enclosed bolt shroud over Brownings design for the 85.

The Browning M1000 Eclipse is intended as both a long distance benchmark or big game rifle. Until recently, they were only chambered in .308, though a few were done in .300 win mag-- such as this one, by direct order from browning. A few years later, with the spreading popularity of short mags, Browning included other calibers such as .270, .300, .25-06 WSSMs. Typically, they featured either 24" or 26" barrels-- though as I will explain below, this one now uses a 25 and 1/4" barrel.
The largest distinguishing feature is the beavertailed, thumb-through, grey laminate stock with contoured Monte Carlo cheek piece.

Retail for .300 winmag NIB with BOSS is 1,400--dealer cost 980. I paid...300-- but I didn't get it New In Box...rather, this is a ressurection.

Some yahoo jumping and out of a deer stand not only managed to break the old stock off across the thumbhole-- but offset the barrel and buggered the crown.
I bought the gun salvage for 350-- and got a new stock compliments of Bob's Guns out there in Az.
Using some blackmax (liquid steel) I reformed new set blocks for the action and trued the barrel channel on the new stock-- I'm waitin to see how she patterns first before I decide to aluminum bed or glass pillar the action-- depends on barrel resonance with a "stock" configuration.
The barrel was only loosened in the action--I removed it and had the last 1/2" of the barrel turned down-- and threaded for a Browning Boss System since it acts as both break and harmonic tuner.
Thus done-- Five minutes and a proper action wrench set the record straight.

If the previous owner put more than 100rnds through it, I'll be darned-- but for that matter, he never cleaned it either. I found strips of copper jacket in the bore-- though no pitting. Least he didn't use bottom barrel cheap dirt ammo.
Electro-cleaned the bore...the homemade jobbie I rigged uses a simple steel rod, hydrolysis fluid, an LED and 6-AA batteries. Plugged and flushed the barrel til all debris was gone. Heated and then scrubbed her out using a combination of Tubb 800 grit cratex bore polish jags and Brownells non-bedding bore paste.
Once the lans and grooves were sharp and clean-- I swagged the bore with moly-bedding paste to seal.

Using ring calipers I shortened the disconnector spring by a 1/200th an inch and cleaned the edge on the sear-- giving her a crisp 2.75-pound trigger. I wanted heavier than match for hunting, but didn't want so much as to cause a shift when shooting beyond 600yds.

The Bolt was rather tricky to negotiate since it's different than either a conventional Sako, Remington, or Winchester long action. I beadblasted the interior faces of the bolt shroud to lower surface friction and reduce wear. The original exterior face-- the side of the bolt showing through the open side-- was originally polished nickle plated. I stripped off the flaking nickle and had an electroless plating done to that one side for Stock appearances.
So help me, I'll eventually figure out an 85 extractor modification for it.

I'll get fresh pics soon--

Tj-- think you got a can that would fit this thing?

Quote:
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping a human face...forever" ~George Orwell

Last edited by Armorer : 03-06-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-06-2008

Default Damn home slice...

I did know you had all that kinda talent with the bolt actions and shit..
I've got one that needs bedded badly, a buddy had the gun a replaced the Stock with a Laminated stock and its never had anything else done to it.
I was going to buy some of that liquid steel and try to bed it myself I'd proably end up with more of it on me than in the action.Its a Commercial Mauser Action chambered in 300 win mag with dual double set triggers.I'd hate to tell you what i had to pay for it.What would you charge a peckerwood
to bed the action ?
Sounds like you made the move to Az. Lots of great fun to be had in that state.The Big Sandy shoot is coming up thats a shoot you don't want to miss
Careful around that TJ guy he's been known to try to grab your penis..

I did finally get those pics to post so check the AR thread
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 03-06-2008
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Armorer
Default Re: New .300 project-- poor man's Sako '85

I've not moved to Az yet.
And it'll technically be my third bedding job. First was a valquartsen kit for a 10/22 using aluminum stanchons.
Second was on a rem 700 BDL in .308. Modified marine tex glass kit-- used a drill press to cut the holes and position. Then made a form and filled with the glassing compound.
For your rifle, I'd save on it and lemmie see what happens in the next month on the move to Az.
I'd be proud to have a chance to use it as a chance to prove myself to a competent smith under his tutelage.
If you could get me some pics of the wood, I'll see what I can think of.

Quote:
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping a human face...forever" ~George Orwell