This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 07-28-2008
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Send a message via AIM to D Yankee (The Zionist) Send a message via MSN to D Yankee (The Zionist) Send a message via Yahoo to D Yankee (The Zionist)
Smile One of the best war films I've ever seen

PT I'm sure you've seen El Alamein by Director Enzo Monteleone. It's the story of a young student from Palermo who volunteers to fight in Africa in 1942. This if by far one of the most powerfull films I've ever seen. These men are abandoned by their command and their allies. Without the most minor of necessities like food, water, and ammunition. I was deeply touched by this story. Basically a story of brotherhood in the face of great hardship.

This is a very hypnotic film about the horrors soldiers (any soldiers) face in strange lands under extreme conditions. I'm fascinated by WW2, and it's quite refreshing to see films that tell a not so common story of battles that most people know little about.

I could actually relate to the young private who is the center of the story. Basically a patriot who leaves school to do a service to his country, only to find that his country, and his officers care little about his sacrifice and the sacrifice of his comrades.

Definately worth a watch. Not your typical war film by any means.

-- Charlton Heston, 1923-2008
Old 07-29-2008

Thumbs up You bet I've seen it!

It's a very, very poetic film above all, featuring a great cast of some of the best, and underrated, Italian actors (in Italy, people is so addicted to straight-for-TV fiction productions that, if you haven't been in one of these, then you're not a "great Italian actor", so even the last of the greatest Italian actors, Giancarlo Giannini, had to bend over for this); it is also extremely successful in depicting the sensation of stranding and dismal that a young southern Italian soldier could have felt in such a situation: remember that the illiteracy rate was above 80% in pre-republican Italy, and so was the number of people who hadn't actually left their hometown for GENERATIONS, living only to work on the land of the local latifundist that their fathers, and the fathers of their fathers, had worked on before them. Most of them didn't actually spoke ANY Italian, so even understanding each others was difficult for the soldiers. Situations like the one of the main character, a young university student, was very VERY rare, but not less difficult.
Above all, it is a great depiction of the acts of heroism of the Italian soldiers during the El-Alamein battle. I am generally not one of those who glorify the acts of the Italian Armed Forces during World War 2: we were between the bad guys, after all. But I also can't forget that most of them were not there out of their own will, especially before September 8, 1943; most of them were not hard-on fascists, but simple conscripts, forcefully enlisted to fight a war that they didn't wanted, a war that they didn't understood, a war that was wanted only by those who had ruled their lives for centuries since then and that would have continued to do so forever if left alone.

"El Alamein" is a really GREAT, less-than-known masterpiece that brings together the elements of great war movies and of the poetic drama the Italian cinema has been famous for. It is DEFINITELY a movie to see.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 07-29-2008

Send a message via AIM to D Yankee (The Zionist) Send a message via MSN to D Yankee (The Zionist) Send a message via Yahoo to D Yankee (The Zionist)
Default Re: One of the best war films I've ever seen

Can you recomend any other Italian films for me. I love foreign films, and my library near my house has hundreds of them. I'm particulary fond of war films and old French Noir films.

-- Charlton Heston, 1923-2008
Old 07-29-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Yankee (The Zionist)
Can you recomend any other Italian films for me. I love foreign films, and my library near my house has hundreds of them. I'm particulary fond of war films and old French Noir films.

Of course, just give me some times to make up a list...
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack