This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 05-22-2006

Default Tannerite TM? Exploding Scarecrow

Saw this old post after running a Google search. http://securityarms.com/cgi-local/sa...ames;read=2754
Couldn't find it on the new forum.
Read the entire thread and as a "Show me" type gun owner I decided to research this in depth.
Personally I have used Tannerite for years so I am experienced at mixing it and the inherent problems with mixing it. I was able to mix 5 Tannerites in the time that my inexperienced friend was able to mix 12 Scarecrows. Obviously I liked the Scarecrows best in that respect. Tannerite was slightly louder when shot so we tried bigger "Scarecrows" The Jumbo (1 Lber) was equally as loud as 2-1/2 Lb Tannerites although the frequency was deeper from the Jumbo indicating a slower explosion speed. Tried the "Mongo" 2 lber and found it to be louder than 4-1/2 lb Tannerites combined. Noted again that it has a deeper thumping sound than the more piercing higher pitch of Tannerite's explosion.
Further research from discussions with 3 of my attorneys, Daniel Tanner, and Tim (The inventor of Scarecrows) reveals some interesting facts.
intellectual property right deals primarily with Computer software according to the attornies but it is a catchy sounding phrase. It does not mean that someone with an idea owns the entire idea.
Binary explosives have existed since before the turn of the century. The last century 1900. They were used primarily in mining. Tanner did not invent the idea.
Also noted is that a patent holds only to the item patented and within the confines of the item and how it is patented. If you make roughly 25% changes to the patented design or, in this case patented combination of ingredients the patent no longer holds to that item. I wonder if Tannerites new more sensitive blend falls within the confines of his own patent? I don't really care.
Experience tells me that the more Tannerite you mix in a container the bigger the explosion ........ without a limit. a completely linear formula. Is that safe? Not for some fools.
Tim tells me his Scarecrow formula is NON-Linear. an entirely different blend than Tannerite, that was designed so it CAN NOT be turned into a massive IED.
This is why larger quantities have to be made differently. The more you mix together the less the pop until eventually you will get a nil reaction instead of a big bomb. That is why different sizes were developed .... you cannot make an effective 20 lber by mixing 10-2Lb Mongos together. He also states that the 6 Lb and 20 Lb are for special event use only. They are supplied for Machine gun shoots to enhance the exploding target fun for shooters and crowd..
Tim tells me he has been in the explosive and fireworks manufacturing business for over 6 years. He has a Master's Degree, Teaches High School Science and was trained in the Army Special Forces (Ranger) Not your basic Yahoo!
He prefers to develop little known or non-existent ideas into usable products. Ever seen a firework that launches into the air, falls into the water, resurfaces, dives, resurfaces and dances on the water? Tim showed me one he invented. He manufactures explosives for military and L.E use as well.
Tim said that he developed the "Scarecrow" line of exploding targets. He did so looking at the problems that were there, and developed other blends
with ATF approval, especially the non-linear blend that keeps it from being
a danger, and helping to keep the product on the market where if the wrong
people get a hold of Tannerite and do some bad things with it, all of the
product will eventually disappear. All Scarecrow blends have received ATF approval.
Time lines of product changes tell me Tannerite became easier to mix (No longer all powder that clumped in the bottle to form a rock) after Scarecrows hit the market with the easier to mix prill design. Tannerite developed a more sensitive blend after Scarecrows were developed to work with 7.62x39.
Who is copying whom? Immitation is a form of flattery you know.
Then later came the Rimfire Scarecrows after extensive testing by Tim's company Havasu Pyrotechnics.
There are 4 companies I have found producing binary targets right now. All ship without HAZMAT, all go boom, all are presently legal. Each have their benefits and draw backs, all are fun. I do dislike the tiny necked bottles of 2 of the products though.
For the best use, per minute, of my entertainment time I will definitely stick with the SCARECROW line. They mix in about 45 seconds per target, every different size. That gives me more time to shoot and blow them up.
The Rimfire is especially fun because you can use it without ear protection with a 22 or better a suppressed 22.
Tannerite or Scarecrows or Dragons Breath will each have their loyal followers. Kinda like Ford or Chevy or Dodge.
Try your own "official tests" and see what you think.

Grumpy
Old 05-23-2006
Super Moderator

Did you clear this infomercial with TJ?
Old 05-23-2006

Default why deal with copy cats?

when the original is still king?
Old 05-24-2006

Default accept no subsitutes!

Kinda says it all.....

Old 05-25-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by UZI4U
Did you clear this infomercial with TJ?
Sorry ... not intended as an infomercial. I had just recently found the thread I quoted and so it set me out on a mission to experience first hand what was being discussed.
Very cool that we can shoot exploding targets legally I think.
Old 05-25-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin_Shooter
when the original is still king?
I guess every American made vehicle is a copy cat except Ford then isn't it.
The American way is to improve and expand from the original ideas. That's called progress. That's why we have PC's on our desks not just adding machines anymore.
Onward and upwards.
What tire company would you say was the ONLY one to have if no one was allowed to improve on Firestone's tires for the Model A Ford?
Old 05-25-2006
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Man, if the Japanese got their hands on that stuff...it'd be the size of a grain of salt and have the explosive output of a small nuclear blast .
Old 05-25-2006
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthulhu
Man, if the Japanese got their hands on that stuff...it'd be the size of a grain of salt and have the explosive output of a small nuclear blast .

Sounds good to me...
Old 05-25-2006
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy_old_man
I guess every American made vehicle is a copy cat except Ford then isn't it.
The American way is to improve and expand from the original ideas. That's called progress. That's why we have PC's on our desks not just adding machines anymore.
Onward and upwards.
What tire company would you say was the ONLY one to have if no one was allowed to improve on Firestone's tires for the Model A Ford?

I have nothing against other companies making exploding targets, but I've not see any advantage they have to offer over Tannerite, in fact they have have several disadvantages.
Old 05-26-2006
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Quote:
Originally Posted by UZI4U
Sounds good to me...

It might even be totally bio-degradable and edible, with a delicious soy sauce outer coating.

Damn, I'm in the mood for rice crackers now...