This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 08-28-2009

Default Government to own Gun Companys?? Armor predicted this

Cerberus clients overwhelmingly want out: report
04:21 PM EDT

BOSTON (Reuters) - Cerberus Capital Management has been swamped with redemption requests with the Wall Street Journal reporting that investors are asking to pull out $5.5 billion or 71 percent of assets from its hedge funds.

Cerberus last month tried to entice investors into staying with the firm, but found that its clients overwhelmingly wanted to leave, the newspaper reported.

"We have been surprised by this response," Cerberus chief Stephen Feinberg and co-founder William Richter wrote in a letter delivered to clients late on Thursday, according to the newspaper.

A spokesman for the firm was not immediately available for comment.

The bulk of investors elected to put their money into a fund that will liquidate hard-to-sell assets over time.

The news comes as several prominent hedge fund managers have closed their funds and as investors are less willing to leave their money locked up in potentially risky hedge funds.

Last year, when the average hedge fund lost 19 percent, Partners lost 24.5 percent on investments.

(Reporting by Svea Herbst-Bayliss, editing by Leslie Gevirtz)
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional illogical liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous liberal press which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 08-28-2009
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Well, if you remember, some time ago, I -DID- warned that having an umbrella company like Cerberus owning so many important American gun-makers was a colossal mistake... didn't I?
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 08-31-2009
Administrator

Default Re: Government to own Gun Companys?? Armor predicted this

Well look at it this way:

Some dip shits, including a few here, think that government provided health care is a right. The fact that it's not mentioned in the constitution does not seem to matter.

However, since the 2nd amendment to the constitution specifically says something about the right to bear arms then it only follows that the government should be providing me some firearms to bear. If they have to own some gun companies to make that happen it's fine by me.
Old 08-31-2009
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ
Well look at it this way:

Some dip shits, including a few here, think that government provided health care is a right. The fact that it's not mentioned in the constitution does not seem to matter.

The fact that a right isn't mentioned in the Constitution of a specific Country doesn't means that it doesn't applies in that Country. Here in Europe is a standard to recognize that internationally-sanctioned rights -DO- apply even when the Constitution doesn't mentions it. Furthermore: if the International right says one thing, and the Constitution and/or the Law of a specific Country say the contrary, then it's the LAW AND CONSTITUTION OF SAID COUNTRY that has to be disapplied and/or changed to uniform to the international right, because international treaties and bills are what we call a "Superior (or Primary) source of Right".

But whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ
However, since the 2nd amendment to the constitution specifically says something about the right to bear arms then it only follows that the government should be providing me some firearms to bear. If they have to own some gun companies to make that happen it's fine by me.

Are you -SURE- that the Government providing free health care is WRONG but the Government owning gun manufacturers is RIGHT? I say the contrary; the Government owning a gun-making conglomerate like Cerberus could specifically forbid it from selling products to markets other than Military and LE, de facto depriving the civilian market, either in the USA and abroad, of products made by Bushmaster, Remington, Harrington&Richardson, and a bunch of others. They could legally do it once they own Cerberus, 'cause it would be their property and basically they could do whatever they want with it. You've been in a gun-ban-paranoia state since Obama got elected BUT it's suddenly okay to you to accept the risk that the US Government (whose Chief is currently Barack Obama) may own the largest gun-manufacturing conglomerate in America and force it to stop selling to civilians? I do not REALLY get it.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Last edited by PT-The Italian Commie : 08-31-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-31-2009
Administrator

I was applying some sarcastic irony that apparently went over your head in regards to government ownership of gun companies.

Having said that, we are not in Europe, we fought a revolution to get away from the European way of thinking so we would not have to put up with that kind of horse shit.

This is how I look at it and since I'm never wrong this is how everyone should view it: If I don't have the moral right to knock on my neighbors door and demand that they give me money because I don't have any health insurance, food, a job, a car, money for college etc etc then I also have no right to empower the government to do it in my name. If that simple rule was followed life in this county would be a lot better as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-The Italian Commie
The fact that a right isn't mentioned in the Constitution of a specific Country doesn't means that it doesn't applies in that Country. Here in Europe is a standard to recognize that internationally-sanctioned rights -DO- apply even when the Constitution doesn't mentions it. Furthermore: if the International right says one thing, and the Constitution and/or the Law of a specific Country say the contrary, then it's the LAW AND CONSTITUTION OF SAID COUNTRY that has to be disapplied and/or changed to uniform to the international right, because international treaties and bills are what we call a "Superior (or Primary) source of Right".

But whatever.

Are you -SURE- that the Government providing free health care is WRONG but the Government owning gun manufacturers is RIGHT? I say the contrary; the Government owning a gun-making conglomerate like Cerberus could specifically forbid it from selling products to markets other than Military and LE, de facto depriving the civilian market, either in the USA and abroad, of products made by Bushmaster, Remington, Harrington&Richardson, and a bunch of others. They could legally do it once they own Cerberus, 'cause it would be their property and basically they could do whatever they want with it. You've been in a gun-ban-paranoia state since Obama got elected BUT it's suddenly okay to you to accept the risk that the US Government (whose Chief is currently Barack Obama) may own the largest gun-manufacturing conglomerate in America and force it to stop selling to civilians? I do not REALLY get it.
Old 08-31-2009

I had lunch with TJ today and when we were walking into the China Star buffet a guy walked up to us and said he had just lost his job and could we spare any... TJ responded something like we are all unemployed and I do not have any money. I reminded TJ that we are worse off then the unemployed, WE ARE SELF EMPLOYED!