This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 06-01-2006
Super Moderator

Default Own an airsoft rifle in New Jersey, get charged with felony possession of a weapon.

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey...920.xml&coll=1

Quote:
A pitcher for the Rider University baseball team has been benched after he was charged late Tuesday with felony possession of what turned out to be an imitation AK-47 assault rifle.

The charge resulted from a fast-food deliverywoman spotting several young men inside a Rider dormitory with what she believed were deadly weapons, officials said.

The incident, which occurred just before 10 p.m. at Hill Hall, led to an intensive response by Lawrence police, who swarmed onto the campus, locked down its entrances and surrounded the dorm with guns drawn, looking for the armed subjects.

But the weapons apparently were pellet guns, and police only found one, an imitation AK-47 assault rifle, on the bed of freshman James Kennedy, 18, of Levittown, Pa.

Kennedy, recently named New Jersey College Baseball Association's Division I Rookie Pitcher of the Year, admitted the weapon -- an airsoft rifle -- was his, and was apprehended by patrol officers. He was later released on a complaint summons charging him with unlawfully possessing a weapon at an educational institution, police said.

You read that right folks: Airsoft rifles are now considered weapons in New Jersey.

The news article makes no attempt to explain that any person with the same number of brain cells as a snail would consider this 'weapon' a toy.
Old 06-02-2006
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Even in wacko New Jersey, he'll probably get off. Sucks that he'll probably have to go to court to do so.

On the other hand, even in the good old 1800s, I don't think it was considered appropriate for adults to flash firearms in an immature manner. It doesn't necessarily matter that the toy in question wasn't a live, 7.62x39 Soviet-firing AK - many of those airsoft toys can look very realistic, especially to the untrained eye. Carelessly brandishing what, for all intents and purposes, looks like a live weapon likely would have gotten you in just as much trouble in 1906 as it does today.

Still, the police response was overboard, regardless of the gun in question being a toy or the real thing. A loony with an AK isn't guaranteed to immediately surrender to a show of police force, and such tactics can even be provocatory and increase the hazard factor.
Old 06-02-2006

Thumbs down Hmmmm...

...you call gun laws of other Countries "retarded", now see how "retarded" the gun laws can be inside YOUR OWN Country. Hope the guy gets off and the Police, the Prosecution Office and the campus authorities get a good lecture, if not a soundly flogging, from the Court and the Judge for making them loose time for bat$hit like that.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 06-02-2006
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-The Italian Commie
...you call gun laws of other Countries "retarded", now see how "retarded" the gun laws can be inside YOUR OWN Country.

Since when is New Jersey part of the United States?

Seriously, New Jersey, like New York, Massachusetts and California, are known for having weapons laws on par with Nazi Germany.

Someday the entire north eastern United States is going to secede and join the EU, then California is going to have a massive earthquake, spilt off the mainland and slowly drift to China, where it belongs.

There's a big difference in the laws and attitudes toward firearms between the red and blue states.
Old 06-02-2006

just wait until the Free State Project in New Hampshire succeeds
Then we will have a purple state with no firearm laws or drug laws or any victimless crime law.

yay libertarianism!
Old 06-02-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by UZI4U
Someday the entire north eastern United States is going to secede and join the EU, then California is going to have a massive earthquake, spilt off the mainland and slowly drift to China, where it belongs.

Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire are still pretty liberal about firearms ownership. More likely, those states and Pennsylvania will squeeze and absorb the other states...by bloody force, if needed .

You are totally wrong about California, though. After the earthquake seperates it from the mainland, all the Mexicans will paddle it down to Mexico .
Old 06-07-2006
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian
just wait until the Free State Project in New Hampshire succeeds
Then we will have a purple state with no firearm laws or drug laws or any victimless crime law.

yay libertarianism!

I'm really hoping the Free State Project meets its goals... But I don't see it happening.

Worth a try, however.
Old 06-09-2006
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Armorer

Isn't a matter of state law unfortunately.
Any educational institution that recieves federal grant money is considered a "zero tolerance zone" for items such as illicit drugs and "weapons."
As a college prof I've had to sit by and watch good kids expelled from schools for possessing simple objects such as airsoft guns and pocket knives with blades in excess to 3".

Three cases that I've stood before the academic review committees in defense of the accused:
'03 (while as a student at VSU)-- a friend and active reservist was brought up on weapons charges after he was stopped by campus police and found with a Pardue Benchmade auto folder. He had just returned to campus from manuevers and had the weapon locked in a safety box along with his military ID and other personal items he didn't want stolen from his dorm room. My friend was subsequently asked to leave campus, and then only to return after first checking in with campus security.
'04 (while graduate instructor at NSU)-- a student and avid paintballer was arrested after a kid living in his dorm spotted an Ariakon SIM-5 under his bed. While paintball markers are allowed on campuses, the MP5 look alike was considered an exception and subsequently the student was expelled and remanded to police for 100 hours of community service.
'06 (this past fall, VSU again, while adjunct faculty) A parking attendant noticed a beretta 92FS "pistol" poking out from underneath a shirt in the backseat of a student's car. The kid had just run into the building to drop off a paper with me and was immediately arrested at gun point while I walked him back to his car. He explained that it was, in fact, an airsoft pistol and was forced to remain in custody for 48 hours til his parents could be notified and drive from North Carolina. Was released and allowed to return to school after I made the argument to school officials that the block the student parked on was not school property.

This whole thing, in my professional opinion, and using my best rhetoric as an english prof....is bullshit.
In Louisiana the inside of your vehicle is considered an extension of your personal property. illegal drugs aside, you can leave a pistol on your dashboard and the cops can't so much as say boo.
But drive within 100 feet of a school and yer busted.

The real kicker is this-- while visiting a friend in N.O. for paintball (before Katrina hit the toilet handle) and I was driving back from dropping him off on the Tulane campus when a TU campus patrolman pulled me over. He'd seen the muzzle of my sim-4 sticking up in my back window-- barrel plug inserted and the muzzle painted Orange-- and decided to be a dick.
I refused a search and had to wait two hours for a warrant to be delivered.
My truck, fortunately, was 100 yards from tulane property, otherwise I would have faced...felony possession of a weapon capable of firing a projectile in excess to 300fps.
That was the official charge...and warned that I could face a minimum penalty of a $1,500 fine, the loss of my marker, and 6 months in jail or 1 year probation.
While waiting for the warrant at the campus security station, I watched a young man be brought in for possession of 4 tabs of ecstasy in his dorm room.
He was fined 250 dollars and released.

Quote:
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping a human face...forever" ~George Orwell

Last edited by Armorer : 06-09-2006 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-09-2006
Super Moderator

The worst part is how many students are harmed or killed in their own dorms each year because they are unable to defend themselves.

I would like one of those statists to explain to me just how many people have been killed with Airsoft guns...

And even more insane is the fact I'm considering someday becoming a history professor at such a gulag, err, college.

Someday, some parents are going to sue a college/university for wrongful death when their child, being unable to defend themselves as they normally would, died on college property.

Of course, it'll be thrown out... A college can't be sued for federal law. But winning the case won't be the point, costing them an arm and a leg in legal defense will be.

Hey, it worked for the anties for a long time... Learn from you enemies, sometimes you can use their own tactics against them.
Old 06-09-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armorer
That was the official charge...and warned that I could face a minimum penalty of a $1,500 fine, the loss of my marker, and 6 months in jail or 1 year probation. While waiting for the warrant at the campus security station, I watched a young man be brought in for possession of 4 tabs of ecstasy in his dorm room. He was fined 250 dollars and released.

That sucks. In an ideal world, people wouldn't get in trouble for either.