This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 10-05-2010
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Default Caracal pistols. From the hot sands of Middle East

to the green forests of France.

Just received my new toys, large quantity of ammo to be delivered within days.Stay tuned for the results of the test.

Old 10-05-2010

Cool We've had them since quite a while here in Italy...

...imported by Tanfoglio. And they are extremely accurate, and very sweet to shoot. Last time I've handled one it was in May, at the Santa Severa shooting range of the Italian Army. I was reporting from a long-range shooting competition, and my Editor-in-Chief carried his Caracal C along (I still don't own one... for lack of time, mostly). It was a Quick-sights model. I fired about 100 rds in half an hour on a military target placed about 10 metres ahead (too close? Not exactly, it's the average distance for a defensive shooting situation). Not one round missed. All went exactly where I wanted, that is, at the head (call me "Zombie-killer", I don't trust torso shots! ).

At the current state of the art, the Caracal C is definitely the semi-compact/compact pistol I'd recommend every day for defensive carry and for duty.

P.S.: if you want to add a full description to the pictures archive, along with these pics, you can use the Wikipedia article. I wrote it.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 10-08-2010

Default Re: Caracal pistols. From the hot sands of Middle East

I had a lot of fun defeating the rate of digital cameras shooting in burst between 3.7 and 5.2 pictures per second while staying in the A zone of an IPSC target @12 meters.

You never forget some things once you learned them.

I did have some serious reliabilty problems with a F and a C, Failure to feed, Failure to fire, erratic ejection and slide stop was locking before magazines were empty. 18 incidents with the 155 first rounds using NATO ammo, FN mfg then I switched to Sellier & Bellot, CBC (MagTech) and MFS commercial ammo and I had less problem.
I identified the causes, I will take 3 more F pistols to the range tomorrow, I have a competition during the weekend. I'll take the risk using one of them for Vitesse Militaire event ( Service pistol CISM Rapid Fire )
I'll make a more complete report later.

Old 10-08-2010

My M9 is 100% reliable right out of the box with all types of ammo I feed it, I'd bet my life on it.

Old 10-08-2010

Old 10-08-2010

Question FTFs/FTEs?

Odd, neither me or the other CARACAL users I know have ever experienced even one. Are you sure you haven't used some shitty ammo lot?

P.S., the firing stance with the weak hand's index finger on the trigger guard is a little bit outdated... it is one of the main causes of inaccurate shots... why do you keep it?
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Last edited by PT-The Italian Commie : 10-08-2010 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-08-2010

I keep it because I finished 4th at the last Grand Prix de France I competed.. Why should I change something that works for me?

You can notice that with the outdated stance, the pistol is ready to fire with 3 spent cases flying in the air and one hitting the ground as visible on a burst of pictures taken by another camera.

Next stupid question?

None? Perfect.

The shitty lot was FN Mfg NATO ammo, MFS mfg NATO ammo, Sellier & Bellot commercial, MagTech commercial.
I had no incident with these lots in Steyr M9, Clicks, SIGs and Walther P 99s.
Old 10-08-2010

Tomorrow's batch for a day at the range.

Old 10-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond
I keep it because I finished 4th at the last Grand Prix de France I competed.. Why should I change something that works for me?

You can notice that with the outdated stance, the pistol is ready to fire with 3 spent cases flying in the air and one hitting the ground as visible on a burst of pictures taken by another camera.

Next stupid question?

None? Perfect.

The shitty lot was FN Mfg NATO ammo, MFS mfg NATO ammo, Sellier & Bellot commercial, MagTech commercial.
I had no incident with these lots in Steyr M9, Clicks, SIGs and Walther P 99s.

Yes, one more stupid question.

You're a tad bit picky today, aren't you?

Besides, not one single shooter I've ever known has EVER told me ANY GOOD about Sellier & Bellot or MagTech. That's really the bottom-of-the-barrel choice, at least down here. MFS are pretty good instead, as far as I can say out of my personal experience with their .40 Smith & Wesson loads. FN ammo isn't distributed in Italy.

Old 10-08-2010

Yup. Difficult to bear some comments when one has shot more rounds that you will ever do even if you start right now and stop when you're so old you can't even press a trigger..