This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 07-03-2006
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Default Nope.

Quote:
Being honest down there probably won't get you far.

Nor will being hardworking. Mexico's system discourages private investment, and since all resources are controlled by the government, the corruption continues.

I don't see why we're allowed to typecast certain peoples as "hardworking", or "resourceful", or "creative", while we're disallowed from making generalizations that happen to be negative, such as "inveterately lazy", or "prone to criminality".

Just wonderin' is all...

If you can't beat them, join them. Then beat them. Barring that, arrange to have them beaten.
Old 07-03-2006

Unhappy Mexico invasion?

who claims for fences and barbed wire should also stay away form the mexican territories.
It's foul to call them invaders and then have a week off in any mexican beach or cross the border for a cheap bitch.
People easily go for convenience and forget to look on BOTH sides of the medal.
I'm brazilian and everytime I go to US, my visa costs me a lot of money and time. And now I should renew my passport only because the traditional one was not accepted by the embassy. They want the digital picture on it.
Too much control only over honest people.
Probably I'll give up visiting your great country, but the "bad" guys will still be there.

../ct
... .. -. -.-
Old 07-04-2006
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTee
who claims for fences and barbed wire should also stay away form the mexican territories.

Most of us do, so what's your point?

Quote:
It's foul to call them invaders and then have a week off in any mexican beach or cross the border for a cheap bitch.

I've never been to Mexico, and never intend to go there.

Quote:
People easily go for convenience and forget to look on BOTH sides of the medal.

Want to look at both sides of the coin? Lets do:

On the tails side we have Mexico, who hashly punishes anyone who enters their country illegally for work. Yet at the same time encourages its own people to illegally enter the United States.

On the heads side of the coin we have the United States, whose people do not enter Mexico without legal premission and do not break Mexican laws en masse.

Which side is hypocritical, again?

Quote:
I'm brazilian and everytime I go to US, my visa costs me a lot of money and time.

I'm an American and whenever I travel overseas, my visas cost me a lot of money and time. Your point is?

Quote:
And now I should renew my passport only because the traditional one was not accepted by the embassy.

I had to renew mine this month, so I don't see the big deal.

Quote:
They want the digital picture on it.

Mine gets to have biometric data on it, I won't even mention what my drivers license has.

Quote:
Too much control only over honest people.

If they're 'only honest people' then how come they commit many times the number of crimes than American citizens on a per capita basis?

Quote:
Probably I'll give up visiting your great country, but the "bad" guys will still be there.

Not for long.
Old 07-05-2006

Cool You sound logic

as usual

but since I do not enter USA to commit any crime, I feel personally overchecked

I believe (and it's just a poor opinion of mine) that is more efficient to improve neighbors life quality than building up fences to keep them out

You know that every kind of wall or barbed wire only delays the march
It will never stop it

You are right about the two sides of the coin, but I will always feel as being treated as a criminal

The fact is that the rule is set and we cannot change it

"When rape is unavoidable, relax and come"

P.S. - I sent my special passport request this morning. I can't stay away from Las Vegas Shot Show (I've already missed the 2006 ed.)
... .. -. -.-
Old 07-09-2006
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeTee
as usual

but since I do not enter USA to commit any crime, I feel personally overchecked

It's nothing against you, it's the terrorist bastards who try to sneak in with the legitimate traffic.

Blame Mohammed Atta.

Quote:
I believe (and it's just a poor opinion of mine) that is more efficient to improve neighbors life quality than building up fences to keep them out

Trying to improve Mexico by giving them money is like pointing a laser into a black hole with the intent of making it shine.

The best thing that could happen to Mexico at this point, from an economical point of view, would be an increase in their workforce and additional industry.... The latter is in process, but they are actually losing workforce at the moment.

Quote:
You know that every kind of wall or barbed wire only delays the march
It will never stop it

Worked pretty well for East Germany until Reagan bankrupted the Soviets with military projects beyond their economic capacity.

Quote:
You are right about the two sides of the coin, but I will always feel as being treated as a criminal

What do you think I feel like any time I have to deal with the TSA to get on an airplane between two US cities.

I won't even mention the Texas DPS, or the IRS, or the BATF, or the TABC [aka 'The Booze Taliban'].

Quote:
"When rape is unavoidable, relax and come"

One can only be raped if one is in a position of inferior strength.

And rape isn't something the United States takes kindly too, even when we aren't the targets of it. Just ask the British, French, South Koreans, Kuwaitis and the women of Afghanistan.

Quote:
P.S. - I sent my special passport request this morning. I can't stay away from Las Vegas Shot Show (I've already missed the 2006 ed.)

It's been too long since I've been to a SHOT Show... I'd like to make it to the next one.
Old 07-09-2006

Default How many times your authorities take to give you a passport?

Here in Italy, a "biometric" passport, required to enter USA, is issued by the Police authorities within 2 weeks (max) from request.

It's also interesting to know that Italians still -CAN- enter USA without a biometric passport... but much like during the Cold War, they have to require a Visa directly to the US Embassy in Rome, this requires at least 3 months and 100 US$.

I don't blame Mohamed Atta, I blame the AMERICAN AUTHORITIES for this. 9/11 is passed, American authorities KNOW how the 9/11/2001 kamikazes entered the USA, and terrorists are NOT so stupid to try to sneak in with the same method. This is what we in Italy call "Closing the stable after the cattle's escaped".
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 07-09-2006
Super Moderator

Are you honestly suggesting that if we were to ignore the security flaws in the system that existed before 9/11, they would not be used again?

It is because we've taken corrective actions that the same flaws will not be used again.

And why do you think we're trying to secure our borders? Now that entering the United States legally is more difficult for them, they may attempt to circumvent the system entirely.
Old 07-10-2006

Unhappy In Brazil...

...it takes a bit longer to get a biometric passport, and some tips to police office workers (just to make sure I'll get it before christmas).
But at the end we (Uzi and P.T. included) are paying for others mistakes.
I feel raped somehow by the system. With no room for reply.
Thanks internet. At least here we can share some points of view and compare different ideas. But this is all freedom we have.
I'm pretty sure that in a close future, all countries will request a biometric passport and, by then, the terrorists will have the solution to override it.
And we will continue to pay, again and again. Till the end of our lifes.
So, it's better to relax and enjoy the "rape".

../ct
... .. -. -.-
Old 07-10-2006

Default Enjoy the rape? NEVER!

"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 07-10-2006

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

Well look at it this way CeeTee...

I don't have any inherent right to visit any country. As far as my rights go, only the one I'm in (supposedly) protects them.

In most cases there isn't really a fundamental necessity to go to one country or another, nor any rights recognized as such. So countries get to decide for themselves whatever they want to require for someone to visit.

The EU isn't the easiest to deal with on this either. Japan is a real pain. And China? Might want to bring your own lube when you go there, I don't think it's included in the price.

But as far as traveling amongst countries goes, it's very much like transferring between colleges. Each one has their own set of standards and requirements, and they are entitled to have them. One college might accept your ethics class, another might not, and another might make you take the same damn class over again. I've traveled internationally and attended several colleges... it's striking how similar the lines and annoyances are.

But you do have an advantage with your biometric passports... I don't think there are any countries that will reject them for a good long time... odds are good a lot more nations are going to start requiring them.

I have to have that stuff on my drivers license just to drive. And besides... would it be fair for a nation to require far more of their own residents than they do of visitors to get the same general privileges?