This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 05-14-2006

Default Improving Balance

Do any of you guys know any methods or exercises to improve balance, preferably usable in a small room (I'd look rather a tit doing it in my back garden). I'm the sort of person who can move fast, but for some reason has terrible balance.
Old 05-14-2006
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Armorer

High center of gravity-- I got a 6X4 post and laid it on the floor. After I got used to walking on it, I turned it on the side and repeated until I could literally play hopscotch.
Afterward I got two large cinder blocks and put the post through the bottom-- practiced, and then moved it to the second hole.
After six months of practicing that while using weights on my wrists and doing warm ups, I moved it to the top. I placed a third brick in the middle to support, but you get the picture.
once you get the hang of maintaining balanced in your hips, you'll be able to feel your center of gravity well enough to catch yourself in most situations.

Quote:
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping a human face...forever" ~George Orwell
Old 05-17-2006

Default Thanks

I'll try that.
Old 05-22-2006
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBayonet
Do any of you guys know any methods or exercises to improve balance, preferably usable in a small room (I'd look rather a tit doing it in my back garden). I'm the sort of person who can move fast, but for some reason has terrible balance.

Get yourself a Bosu balance trainer. You won't find anything better. You can do balance excercises on it that will also strengthen your legs. You can turn if over flat side up and do pushups on it or stand on it and do squats for a real workout. A simple little toy that will have you sweating in no time a well as improve your balance.
http://www.nefitco.com/bosu_ball.html