This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 08-09-2006
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Italy has "Cadet Schools", or better known as "Military Academies", where youngsters can enter when they turn 14 and if they pass a very stringent admission test. They are given an high-school instruction comprensive of ALL high-school type instuctions of Italy (which are many: classical, scientifical, technical, commercial, arts...). In the meanwhile, they are given a "mild" military training. Once they enter the school, they can go outside its perimeter only for four reasons:
#1 - Sickness that forces them to go to hospital;
#2 - To go to jail if they did something bad;
#3 - For ending the course or being dismissed;
#4 - Once per week in "Free Time" or twice per year on vacation.

When they finish and get their grade, they also formally enter the Military with an high rank (from Captain to up).
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 08-09-2006
Super Moderator

The United States has JROTC/ROTC if that is what you mean by 'cadets'.

Cadets aren't really what I mean when I speak of standard required military training... Too much pretty-show-armyism, too much doctrine, not enough hands-on and useful skills taught. Plus the fact it's optional and generally requires actual military service afterwards.

I want the kids to know how to use, care for and respect weapons. I want the kids to know basic tactics, like suppression fire, flanking, fire teams, and the difference between cover and concealment. I want them to know how to treat wounds, burns, blunt trauma and poison injuries. And I want them to be able to walk as a team no less than ten miles and run no less than two. And I want them to know how to keep calm in crisis and work together. I'll take kids who can do that over kids who can march in perfect sync and have their shoes polished so well that they can be seen by satellites.

But maybe that's just me.
Old 08-09-2006

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

That's the huge problem of the ROTC and the concept of following "military tradition" after it no longer has useful application.

Sorry, the military should be... MUST be a pragmatic exercise. The benefits of marching drills have long since become outdated; shoe polishing is a damn good way to create unwanted glare in the current battlefield. Yes, marching implies lockstep coordination but there are more useful and directly applicable training techniques availalbe now, and nobody marches soldiers from one place to another anymore so the old transportation advantage is out; if you did want to move troops by foot these days, marching them would be the last way any intelligent officer would do it. Sure, shining shoes has to do with equipment maintenance, but it has to do with an equipment maintenance that is anachronistic and downright dangerous today; that's the kind of thing that should be abandoned as well. And then there's soluting. Showing respect is fine, but ever since the war over secession we've known it's a damn good way to get officers marked for death. Personally, as an officer, I'd take it as a lot more respectful for my troops NOT to do something that gets an inproportionate number of bullets aimed at me.

And while these things have largely fallen to peacetime exercises, they are all things that are downright dangerous on the real battlefield, hence they should be eliminated from the military altogether. Practicing a behavior ad nauseum in peacetime and then expecting it to be immediately dropped in combat is... asinine.

The military is, ultimately... not a feel good group hug. It isn't a college tuition assistance program. It isn't subsidized career training. It is about one thing: WINNING WARS. Military behaviors that provide no benefit in pursuit of that goal are superfluous and should largely be eliminated.

But maybe I'm just in a bad mood.
Old 09-24-2006

Default AK5D carbine: some decent pics.

OKAY, it's a fairly old thread, I wanted to resume it anyway 'cause I found out some decent pics out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesare
The latest modification of the Ak 5 is designated Ak 5D and most notably has a shorter barrel. Just as the Ak 5C it is mounted with the MIL-STD 1913 rail system to allow for easy mounting of a variety of sights.

Due to the smaller dimensions of the weapon, the Ak 5D is used especially by personnel in crowded spaces such as the Swedish urban warfare units and on certain marine units. The Swedish police are also equipped with a version of the Ak 5D
The Swedish and Norwegian police are equipped with a special version of the Ak5D called CGA5P or sometimes, Ak5DP. Essentially it is a Ak5D with automatic fire capability disabled by an Allen screw. Unlike the Ak 5D, the police version has fixed sights but is still equipped with the MIL-STD 1913 rail system. Eventually, telescopic sights or red dot sights will be used. Unlike its military counterparts, the police version also has safety catches on both sides of the weapon.

Attached pictures:
#1 - AK5-D assault carbine, with standard carrying handle and integrated combat optic.
#2 - CGA5P-AK5DP police patrol selfloading carbime, with MIL-STD 1913 rail, no sight installed.
#3 - CGA5P-AK5DP police patrol selfloading carbime, with MIL-STD 1913 rail, AIMPOINT red-dot optic installed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AK5-D.jpg (35.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg CGA5P-AK5DP - 1.jpg (190.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg CGA5P-AK5DP - 2.jpg (167.0 KB, 11 views)
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 09-27-2006

Arrow Pictures update

Some nice pictures of AK5D with M203 prototype with the new Aimpoint, military version.
Thanks to knaZen from Military Photos forum.

http://static.flickr.com/36/103879125_19c0102e6f_b.jpg