This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 04-26-2006
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon Guy
You have my condolences, copin.

Are you allowed to have an unlocked handgun in your own house? As a demi-Juif (Un "Mischling", and also a dual national), I'm kind of pre-disposed towards the free ownership of guns, so I wonder if as a European you are allowed to maintain a firearm in your own home for the purpose of self-defense.

I have lived in Europe as recently as 1992, so I am curious about the firearms rules as applied there.
In France, since a dozen of years, the firearms rules had changed several times in the bad sens.
If you want to buy a weapon you need to be a member of the national shotting federation (in a shotting range) or to have a hunting permit (except for the .22 Lr bolt action rifles). Then you can buy bolt action rifles if the calibers is not listed like a "war" caliber (.223 Rem, .308 Win, .30-06 US, 7,62x39mm?)
For all handguns, semi-automatic rifles, rifles in "war" caliber, you need prefectorial licences ( you need to don?t have a police record) : one weapon for one licence, renewable each 3 years, 7 weapons with central percussion cartridge at most and 5 weapons with annular percussion cartridge (.22 Lr, .22 WMR?) at most.
Automatic shotting is only for army and forces of law and order.
Old 04-26-2006

Lightbulb Gun laws in Italy.

I can say that Italian gun laws are between the laxest in the continent (exception made for the Swiss, Swede and Finnish ones). Here is just a BRIEF synopsis of the Italian gun laws.

The prohibitions are:
NO FULL-AUTOMATIC/SELECTIVE-FIRE WEAPONS;
NO FIREARMS CHAMBERED FOR THE 9x19-Parabellum/Luger/NATO CALIBER (we have such weapons chambered for the .9x21mm-IMI ammunitions);
NO DISCHARGERS OF GRENADES AND/OR EXPLOSIVE DEVICES (explosives, but not grenades, can be "detained" only by those who have proper Explosive Experts license and work as demolitors, etc.);
NO 3rd GEN. NVGs;
NOTHING 50-Cal OR UP (restriction of Half-Inch calibers);
NO AMMUNITIONS THAT HAVE THE "SPECIAL ARMOR-PIERCING CAPABILITIES" (the problem is solved by marketing such calibers loaded with non-AP bullets).

Other restrictions are the ammunition capacity: no max. established for pistols or shotguns, max 10 for non-smoothbore rifles/carbines. Most important is that each model is "given" with a certain magazine capacity, and you can absolutely NOT use higher-capacity magazines in those, even if the magazine is compatible.

Licenses:
All firearms ownership requires a license. Licenses require a certified ability in the use of firearms (that can be obtained by attending a 2-weeks or some times 2-HOURS course at any authorized shooting range), no criminal records, and good phisical and mental health status (certified by a visit in any Public Health System structure like hospitals etc.).

All licenses allow to obtain:
Max 3. "Common firearms" (category that comprises most pistols and a very little number of long arms);
Max. 5 "Sporting firearms" (those pistols, shotguns, rifles and carbines that have SPECIFICALLY been designed for shooting competitions);
Unlimited number of muzzleloaders, black-powder, etc.;
Unlimited number of "Hunting firearms" (this includes most of long arms, either shotguns or non-smoothbore, including ALL the "military-style" rifles and carbines").

The limit to the number of ammunitions detainable is 250 for each caliber, but if you have a pistol AND a hunting weapon chambered for the same caliber (example: a BERETTA M98-FS 9x21mm pistol and a BERETTA CX4-STORM 9x21mm selfloading carbine) the limit for the detainable number raises tio 1200. Shotgun shells are detainable max. 1500 for each gauge.

Only exception is the "Collection license" that allows you to keep unlimited number of any kind of weapon that you want, but in this case you are forbidden to own any kind of ammunition as the firearms possessed under a "Collection license" can not be used. It's not a case that most collectors have both a "Collection license" and another kind of license at the same time (it's fully allowed), so that they can use their guns.

As stated above, private ownership of fully-automatic/selective-fire firearms is not allowed to civilians. Certain CORPORATES can have them in limited number for some reasons: I am talking about gun manufacturers, makers of ammunitions, accessories and bulletproof wear, that can ahve stocks of their own-manufactured guns or use other/foreign-made firearms for evaluation, R&D, or to test their products. These weapons are property of the COMPANY, not the owner of the company itself or whatever, and if the company shuts down them must be deactivated (in this case them are ownable since deactivated guns aren't considered "guns" anymore and their trade/ownership is not regulated or restricted under any law), or must be turned in to the authorities to be destroyed. Guns displayed in museums etc. must be deactivated (AFAIK, the only such place in Italy that displays live-firing guns is the BERETTA museum, which is held in a maximum-security location inside the BERETTA plant itself and is seldom open to the public).

Licenses you can obtain are:
HUNTING LICENSE: Allows you to detain the above-mentioned number of weapons, but you can "Carry" (open or concealed transport of a loaded and ready-to-use gun) only the hunting guns during the season. Otherwise, you can "transport" (gun unloaded, possibly partially stripped and closed in its case) anything else from your property to anywhere else.
SPORTING LICENSE: like above but allows only "transport" of firearms from your property to the shooting range or to another property of yours (mind that you are allowed to be armed at all times while you are inside your property, exception made for a vehicle if it is in a public place like running around the streets etc.);
CONCEALED CARRY LICENSE: allows concealed carry anywhere, anytime. It is given only to those who can demonstrate to have a "justified reason" to.

Okay, I'll come back for more sometimes later, now I am called to something important... bye!
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 04-26-2006

Havalook http://www.armes-ufa.org/ufa/actuali...arms_com_a.asp
Old 04-26-2006

Pierangelo, your sporting licences are limited in the time, with renewal ?
Old 04-26-2006
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-The Italian Commie
NO 3rd GEN. NVGs;

Okay... WTF? 3rd Gen NVGs are illegal? Why?!?

Quote:
The limit to the number of ammunitions detainable is 250 for each caliber, but if you have a pistol AND a hunting weapon chambered for the same caliber (example: a BERETTA M98-FS 9x21mm pistol and a BERETTA CX4-STORM 9x21mm selfloading carbine) the limit for the detainable number raises tio 1200. Shotgun shells are detainable max. 1500 for each gauge.

Wow... Good thing I live in the United States.

Old 04-27-2006

Personally I reload my ammunitions...
Otherwise legally, we can buy 1000 manufactured cartridges per weapon and per year.
Old 04-27-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger
Personally I reload my ammunitions...
Otherwise legally, we can buy 1000 manufactured cartridges per weapon and per year.

So, that's 1000 total and no more for the year (regardless of you using it all), or 1000 at most and you can replenish if you run out?
Old 04-27-2006

That's 1000 manufactured cartridges at most for one year and per weapon (3 weapons = 3000 manufactured cartridges at most for one year), renewable each year. The seller writes the date, the name and the number of cartridge bought on each licence.
Old 04-27-2006

But unlimited reloading components, I take it?
Old 04-27-2006

Unlimited reloading components yes but when a case is primed then it's like a manufactured cartridge.