This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 08-14-2006
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Question Norwegian soldier helmet.

I have spotted up this picture, portraying a Norwegian soldier in the testing of the FN F2000 assault rifle within the planned trials to replace the G3 battle rifle and select a new individual weapon for the Norwegian Armed Forces.

In the picture (very small, sorry) the soldier bears a particular helmet. Can anybody identify it? Is it some kind of Norwegian "Objective Force Warrior" system? ROGER?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Norwegian_soldier_f2000.jpg (44.4 KB, 13 views)
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 08-14-2006

Most probably to replace the old Norwegian helmet...
Old 08-14-2006

Talking

HAHA, no, seriously.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 08-14-2006
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Armorer
Default I don't speak swede

"They're Norwegian Frank"
gotta love Carpenter's "The Thing"-- one of Kurt Russel's better flicks too imho--
I took a look around some of Norwegian Defense Industries sites and found the same picture but without anything remotely related to it-- just facts and figures about their military.
I asked a friend in Holland about it and her searches (and what she was able to translate) said that all she could find was a list of proposed future armaments they were considering-- the site wouldn't open for me:
www.mil.no/mispok
According t my friend, all it says is "New protective headgear with face shield and integrated communications."
Judging by the picture I'd say that it's fair guess it's the same thing by the wire leading out of the helmet.
Could be another doctored pic like the one somebody posted a couple months back where somebody made an RIS mounted laser look like a cam.

Quote:
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping a human face...forever" ~George Orwell
Old 08-19-2006

Question no ventilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-The Italian Commie
I have spotted up this picture, portraying a Norwegian soldier in the testing of the FN F2000 assault rifle within the planned trials to replace the G3 battle rifle and select a new individual weapon for the Norwegian Armed Forces.

In the picture (very small, sorry) the soldier bears a particular helmet. Can anybody identify it? Is it some kind of Norwegian "Objective Force Warrior" system? ROGER?

in an even not so cold place it would get steamy in a second
I would not use it. Not even for paintball.

../ct
... .. -. -.-
Old 08-20-2006

The Norweigians are testing three diffrent Assualt Rifles to replace the AG3 (HK G3 under license);
1. Diemaco/Colt Canada C8
2. FN Herstal F2000
3. Heckler & Koch G-36
Until they are done they are upgrading the AG3

Their future soldier concept is called "Normans-soldaten" (Norweigian soldier) and (NORwegian Modular Arctic Network Soldier)

Sketch showing the idea
The project is not limitaed to one type of technology but is developing
here seen together with HK G36

When it comesto the helmet it gets trickier in the general modernization project called "Soldat-2000" THIS is what the helmet looks like

Where did the pic come from? I can read Norweigian...
Old 08-20-2006

Maybe it lost in competiton to this one in the Trials?

Old 08-20-2006

Clothing and Protection in the Norwegian Soldier Modernisation Program NORMANS
by Mr. Svein Martini, Principal Scientist, FFI Norwegian Defence Research Establishment
http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2004issc/tuesday/martini.ppt (13,35 Mb)
Old 08-20-2006

Default Got it!

Ok i got it took some time and effort but now i know what it is if found it in Befalsbladet nr.3 2003 page 32-35 Tidskrift for Norges Offisiersforbund (Magazine for Norways Officersclub). Shortly; the NORMANS project started in 1996 with the ambition to integrate all the norweigian soldiers equipment into a singular working system, instead of as in the Soldat 2000 just upgrade single eq-parts. FFI Forsvarets forskningsinstitutt (Military research institute) got the a thumbs up to realize the project by the government in 2000. In 2002 there was a large test of NORMAN systems at Terningmoen military testing-grounds. A focus of the project (as in many other future warrior programs) has been on electronics and communication. As a first part the project has been about the communication on a local group level, where diffrent WLAN systems were evaluated.Vingsight, (SEE PIC1) is a weapon sight which incorporates laser & GPS technology and is developed by Vinghøgs in Tønsberg. The headgear is also the natural hub for all the communication equipment and one of the most important areas to protect. The helmet on the picture is one of the experimental full cover helmets (not adopted). (SEE PIC2) The left is showing a waterflask-vest a la camelbak giving the soldier extra protection. The right shows a soldier from kampvåpenet on RENA - Hærens (the Armys) tactical trainingcenter ran by SAAB Training Systems. the pictures are taken from testing diffrent types of helmets in demonstation of the whole NORMAN system. I think the helmet is a prototype and not in production. I think the helmet is part of a THALES-system and in cooperation with a.o. Norkrets, NFM Caseb and several other subcontractors for the NORMANS. The general plan seems to be to hire one main supplier which through subcontractors or a consortium can offer the full system (does not exist yet).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wingsight.JPG (17.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Helmets.JPG (65.7 KB, 4 views)

Last edited by Cesare : 08-20-2006 at 08:49 AM.
Old 08-20-2006

Thumbs up Thnx!

The picture I originally posted of the Norwegian soldier with the helmet comes from the FN F2000 article of WIKIPEDIA.