This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 08-20-2006

Send a message via AIM to Chahta

Maybe they should try this.....

Old 08-21-2006
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Default Well, I have to tell you...

...that I always liked the concept of a motorbike integral helmet used as a basis for Special Forces/SWAT/CT/Military helmet.
In my plans:

#1 - It should be made in the highest-strenght and resistance materials available today, to ensure full "armour" all over the user's head;
#2 - The lower edge should somewhat hook tight with the upper edge of the protective vest (which should thus have somewhat like a "collar"), making the entire thing airtight. You'll see why in a moment. Nonetheless, it should be engineered to actually allow the user to TURN his head around, otherwise... The reason why I'd want an airtight helmet-vest combo is that the helmet should integrate something like an NBCR air filter
#3 - Communications should be integrated.
#4 - The helmet should sport sensors inside, and a satellite connection to the OPS Room in order to transmit "live" to the command the health parameters of every single soldier. Also, the helmet should feature a micro-camera so that every single soldier could transmit what he sees "live" to the command. That'd be a major advantage for the general officers. Remember: the reason why all wars since WW1 have been such enormous bloodsheds is that, for the first time since the Napoleonic wars, the generals lost direct sight over the battlefield, which became so wide and far away from the command positions that the commander officers received the informations with an enormous delay and this obviously made their decisions mostly uneffective. A direct control over the battlefield will instead allow them again to have a direct view over the battle, and take the right decisions at the right moment.
#5 - Obviously, the vizard should not only be bullet-proof, but also integrate a Head-Up Display with various functions, including image magnification (phasing out binoculars), four different kinds of night vision, including infrared (phasing out all visors of such kind), and integrate itself with the sighting/aiming system of the individual weapon, so to allow the soldier to fire from behind corners and/or repairs.

But that's obviously a pipedream which will MAYBE see the light in 2050... or when HALO will become reality.
CORTANA, where are you when I need help...?
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 08-21-2006

I think for one thing the electronic system should be separated from the helmet, anyone who wore a helmet for a while (not even a closed one) knows that youre dying to get out of it. So the communication system should stay on even when youre out of the helmet. Someone said that the NORMANS prototype helmet included a projector on the shield which sounds like a good thing.

PS. "Chahta" what does it mean?
Old 08-21-2006

Send a message via AIM to Chahta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesare
I think for one thing the electronic system should be separated from the helmet, anyone who wore a helmet for a while (not even a closed one) knows that youre dying to get out of it. So the communication system should stay on even when youre out of the helmet. Someone said that the NORMANS prototype helmet included a projector on the shield which sounds like a good thing.

PS. "Chahta" what does it mean?

Chahta = Choctaw
Old 08-21-2006

Ok, thanks....

what does Choctaw mean?
Old 08-21-2006

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

Quote:
Ok, thanks....

what does Choctaw mean?
It's a native american tribe, relatively common here in Oklahoma, one of the five civilized tribes having had highly developed agricultural techniques as well as writing and other advanced culture. A LOT of place names in the US and especially Oklahoma derive from the Choctaw language, and I happen to live in a place named for the tribe.

A person convinced that the ends justify the memes.
Old 08-21-2006

Lightbulb

Aha, now it rings a bell, i have heard it before, please excuse my ignorance..
Thanks for clearing that JCoyote
Old 08-23-2006

Default The New Normans

Since the original picture is 3 years old i thought i should show you what the project looks like today.

From mil.no:
Head Borne System
The NORMANS Head Borne System is based on a partly integrated helmet.
A protective visor and face protection including a patented passive breathing
device, is integrated into the helmet. Other components as the QuitPro
hearing protection and audio interface system, the chemical protective mask,
and night vision devices are add-on systems to be used together with the
helmet. The NORMANS C4I concept is not based on the use of a Head
Mounted Display, and such displays are not a part of what is defined to
be the NORMANS basic system. The Head Borne System may, however,
include a Head Mounted Display for soldiers with specific tasks in which a
Head Mounted Display is proved to be beneficial.

To the Left is the NBC system.

As a final note i would like to add that the Norweigians has finally adopted the Heckler & Koch G36 as their standard firearm (4000pcs to begin with) to be implemented and all the AG3 turned into scrap before 2007 starts. Maybe time to make a killing eyh ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New_NORMANS.jpg (48.2 KB, 2 views)
Old 08-23-2006

Quote:
As a final note i would like to add that the Norweigians has finally adopted the Heckler & Koch G36 as their standard firearm

Are you sure they didn't got the FN F2000?
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 08-24-2006

Yes, too bad though, i think despite governmental-military contracts policies, the design was too radical and spacelike. Still, i think the G36 (already deployed to the marine commandos) look good enough to fit in any sci-fi film. And yes i do realise the soldier in the pic still carries a FN F2000 (It is not as new as the news to get G36).