This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 08-14-2006
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Armorer
Default Dead Rising: A game designed for us

Seems someone at Capcom's been reading our posts about Zombie survival on our old board.
I picked up a copy of Dead Rising last week for the 360 and have been lost ever since. I'm a proponent for Xbox even though my grievances against MS because anything's better than SONY at this point-- especially with the PS3 shinnanigans (friggin 600 bucks, are you kidding me?) and it's nice to finally have a game for the 360 that's worth a damn.
Visually the game's great although controls need some work, but it's the content that'll get you.
there's some 53,500 zombies roaming the streets of the town you're investigating as photojournalist, Frank West-- all converging on the town's megamall. For 72 hours (until the scheduled rescue chopper) You're responsible for helping two HSA members with protecting one creepy old dude while gathering survivors hidden around the mall. Along the way, you're stuck facing psycopaths and the ever oppressive zombie horde.
At your disposal you have...get this...some 250+ weapons. Everything from the good old shotgun and pistol to katan and sledge hammers. The developers really did mean everything is a weapon in advertising this as you fight deadheads using random stuff like stepladders and novelty winnie the pooh helmets. Stab a undead with a shower nozzle and grab a pic with the camera slung around your neck as he stumbles about drizzling gore.
Seriously-- this game frigging rocks-- it reminds me of all our old convos-- and I swear at least one of the guys you end up fighting is a dead ringer for Dolphin Shooter.
Anybody else try it?

Quote:
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping a human face...forever" ~George Orwell
Old 08-14-2006
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Default I can understand the price difference.

X360 uses a basically standard DVD drive. (not even HD-DVD as was advertised at first).

PS3 uses a Blu-Ray drive. Standalone Blu-Ray movie players are priced in 4 digits if I convert from NTs (Taiwanese currency) to USDs here.

The main thing that makes me like the PS3 more than X360 (aside from the raw power advantage of 2 TFLOPS), is...

/STOCK/ PS3s are COMPLETELY REGION FREE!!!!
Old 08-15-2006
Administrator

I beg to differ--I've done side by side comparisons running DLP and HD and found the 360's resolution to be startling brilliant. Furthermore, the PS3's Blue-ray is low-low-low end...very low end. Electronic trading reported each ps3 will cost...150 to assemble between labor and components. It will not feature the 2 tflops as originally stated--you can check that out on IGN and most other electronics sites. Infact, the onlything they're keeping is blue ray--and like I said-- each blue ray drive sony buys costs them 50 bucks a unit.
Never mind the fact that blueray discs no matter their capacity will only use about a quarter of their disk space. so games like FFVIII that took three disks will only require 1-- big whoop considering a blue ray disk gae is going to cost in excess to 70 bucks. The read speed won't matter since it's not hd and not running dual sata.
I will say this about the 360--
the CPU's 6 core unit hasn't been touched.
Dead rising is the first game to use more than one core, every other game to date runs on one. For DeadRising one core operates enemy actions/generation while the second runs player features and NPC allies. I've managed to squeeze some 500 zombies on a screen at one time without any lag whatsoever...and that's while running peripherals like XBL chat and download.
Trust me-- this is one argument my gaming community (both folks for ps3 and those for 360) has argued til we're all blue in the face-- Sony's not making any good on any of their proposed tertiaries except blue ray. The 360's room for expansion is immense. There's already talks of new hardware to expand video and memory components. The second content download for the 360 for example was a compression program enabling users to not only use multiple download, but also reduced necessary file size-- it freed up some 4mb on the harddrives on my, my father's and my brother's 360's (yeah-- all 3 of of us use 360).
Besides--sony's tellnet can't compete with the xbl marketplace and live arcade. we just got streetfighter, pacman, and galga with existing titles like hexic, zuma, bejeweled, etc. Next month we're supposed to be getting contra and MK3 ultimate.
By novemeber we get gears of war, new wireless headsets, boost packs, and the webcam feature so you can chat and see teammates while you play new titles-- by next feb we get a download so we can do the same for backwards compatible games like Halo 2. And the BC list is getting expanded too--
I'll gladly debate the ps3 and 360 argument with you, but i'd like to keep this thread focused on this particular game.

Quote:
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping a human face...forever" ~George Orwell
Old 08-15-2006

Default On the subject of this game...

I rarely use weapons for any specific purpose. I just use them whenever the mood strikes me, so many people would notice I often have a spectacularly useless inventory.

One of my favorite pastimes is throwing soda cans at zombie heads.
Old 08-15-2006

When will it be distributed? And will it be made for PC-DVD ROM?
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 08-15-2006
Administrator

PT-- It's already out, but only for the Xbox 360.

MK23-- Are you on Live by any chance? If yer on and have Halo 2, perhaps we could play a round or two of noscopes.
Cannin deadheads is pretty fun-- although I'm partial to snatching those serve bot helmets and popping them on rotting noggins. Using the bowling ball is a personal fav-- especially when the cultists show up-- take out ten or so with a good throw-- if yer lucky and keep enough distance they go suicide bomber and blow themselves up-- taking out another 5 or 10 more.
The increasingly frustrating thing are all of Otis's calls-- i'll be trying to do something and the next thing I know I've got this constant ringing. The fact you can't fight or even jump the whole time REALLY gets under my skin.
I'm still trying to beat the game for the true ending-- once I get infinity mode I'll do as I damn well please.
I've yet to beat the convicts in the jeep-- once I take care of that I'll grab a zombait and take a run around liesure park-- gather up as many deadheads and unload the machinegun.
Aiming with the guns blows though...that's one thing that certainly needed some fine tuning-- or atleast a look sensitivity option.
Have you found any of the megaman costume parts? Helmet and megabuster are in the cinema giftshop-- the buster shoots nerf balls-- but they'll take out a zombie within 5 or so headshots.

Quote:
Old 08-16-2006

Default There's a 'real megabuster' out there somewhere

After you unlock it anyway. Also a real lightsaber too.

Haven't even come /close/ to unlocking either, but they exist.
Old 08-17-2006
Administrator

Certain achievements-- I think it's the punisher achievement.
Still-- doesn't answer my question-- do you have an xbox live account? PM me your gamer tag--
I finally made it to overtime mode and it's friggin pissing me off.
between collecting the items Isabela needs, there's also the issue of capturing queens-- the two best methods i've got so far are using a car to mass zombie slay-- for every hundred or so i'm nabbing one or two-- or using necter mixes to lure them out. Unfortunately it only produces one for every drink and then yer stuck waiting til it wears off before you can do it again.
0 zombies during the day also impedes progress. I'm really kicking myself because I should have hit the maintenance tunnel before case 6 when they're flooded with deadheads. All the items you need are close to MT entrances and it'd be easier to avoid specops guys that way.

Quote:
Old 08-18-2006

Default Xbox live

Nameless666999

But I'm currently unplugged. Won't be able to fix that until next month when I move out of this apartment.
Old 08-28-2006

Default Well hell...

I never knew about the sawblades in the toolboxes until just now!