This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 04-26-2006
Super Moderator

Default A good survival dirt-bike?

This might belong in the motorcycle section, but it also belongs here.

So, I've been thinking about the use of a dirt-bike as a survival vehicle for a long time, but there's a problem.

I have a policy that all survival vehicles I own must be EMP proof. If it isn't EMP proof, it isn't a survival vehicle.

Most modern motorbikes that I've seen use digital ignition systems, which are very susceptible to EMPs.

What options are there? I've considered replacing the ignition system, but I can't find any non-digital ignition systems to replace them with.
Old 04-26-2006
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

How about this?

Apparently, the US military uses those in diesel variants. Not sure if it's EMP proof or not, but if it's good enough for the US military, it should be good enough for post-nuclear work .

Plus, it can use biodiesel, which might be more available than ever-decreasing gasoline.
Old 04-26-2006
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthulhu
How about this?

Apparently, the US military uses those in diesel variants. Not sure if it's EMP proof or not, but if it's good enough for the US military, it should be good enough for post-nuclear work .

Plus, it can use biodiesel, which might be more available than ever-decreasing gasoline.

The KLR series is about perfect... Exactly what I want, except that it uses EMP-weak CDI ignition... That's my only complaint.

If I could buy the military Diesel version, that would solve this problem. However the diesel version is not offered at this time [it's not actually made by Kawasaki].

I may see what I can do to get one anyway... Motorbikes are not restricted-sale items on the military production contracts.

Last edited by UZI4U : 04-26-2006 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-27-2006
Administrator

Default I got just the rig for ya right here

No EMP problems with this baby.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike.jpg (71.1 KB, 12 views)
Old 04-27-2006
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ
No EMP problems with this baby.

Good point... It's also worth considering that most riding-lawn-mowers are EMP proof.

"Fear my post-apocalypse EMP-proof tactical John Deere of DOOM!?"
Old 05-12-2006

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

Yeah, well, I've got it on good authority wheelbarrows are ideal EMP proof transportation too. LOL.

But anyway, it shouldn't be too hard just to find a used bike in decent condition. Kick starts were the norm for a long time and pretty damn EMP resistant.

I had a little Kawasaki 80cc for a long time, it was decent for getting a single adult around handily. Just the 2 cycle engine made a hell of a racket. But it was light enough I could carry it if I had to... also nice. So the light engines might actually be an advantage for these.

My only real issue with motorcycles per for survival has to do with towing capacity... limited and hard to accomplish with a dirtbike. While normally I'm not much of a fan of 4 wheelers, for longer term survival I can see advantages there. One with a decent engine can be used for all kinds of things a motorcycle wouldn't be useful for. Longer trips with a trailer for supplies especially come to mind. Hauling things to a market. Even clearing snow and plowing fields in looser soil. (But an ox is better for that, and more edible if need be.) I would think a decent power kick-start 4 wheeler would be good. If you need any more than that, get a small jeep/samurai and seal up some spare electrics in a grounded or buried metal box.
Old 05-14-2006
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoyote
Yeah, well, I've got it on good authority wheelbarrows are ideal EMP proof transportation too. LOL.

Oh, the memories that brings back...

Quote:
But anyway, it shouldn't be too hard just to find a used bike in decent condition. Kick starts were the norm for a long time and pretty damn EMP resistant.

I had a little Kawasaki 80cc for a long time, it was decent for getting a single adult around handily. Just the 2 cycle engine made a hell of a racket. But it was light enough I could carry it if I had to... also nice. So the light engines might actually be an advantage for these.

My only real issue with motorcycles per for survival has to do with towing capacity... limited and hard to accomplish with a dirtbike. While normally I'm not much of a fan of 4 wheelers, for longer term survival I can see advantages there. One with a decent engine can be used for all kinds of things a motorcycle wouldn't be useful for. Longer trips with a trailer for supplies especially come to mind. Hauling things to a market. Even clearing snow and plowing fields in looser soil. (But an ox is better for that, and more edible if need be.) I would think a decent power kick-start 4 wheeler would be good. If you need any more than that, get a small jeep/samurai and seal up some spare electrics in a grounded or buried metal box.

I agree on pretty much all points... A Dirt Bike isn't as much for long-term survival use [where a four wheeler, or hell, a horse would be better] as much as it's for SHTF GTFOD [Get The Fook Outta Dodge] use. If there's a place a Dirt Bike can't get to, you'll need a helicopter for it...

I see a short-term, SHTF GTFOD situation as being much more realistic than anything long term. If one needs to get around, and the main roads are clogged beyond use or dangerous, a dirt bike is the ticket.

That doesn't mean I don't plan for long-haul SHTF, however .
Old 05-14-2006

Send a message via AIM to JCoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by UZI4U
I agree on pretty much all points... A Dirt Bike isn't as much for long-term survival use [where a four wheeler, or hell, a horse would be better] as much as it's for SHTF GTFOD [Get The Fook Outta Dodge] use. If there's a place a Dirt Bike can't get to, you'll need a helicopter for it...

I see a short-term, SHTF GTFOD situation as being much more realistic than anything long term. If one needs to get around, and the main roads are clogged beyond use or dangerous, a dirt bike is the ticket.

Then I would suggest something in the 80cc range. Although the other bikes have more muscle, the small ones have plenty of pep and more importantly, if you run into a fence or obstruction you can't go around or over with it, you can just THROW it over the fence then climb over after it. I'm starting to wish I hadn't sold mine. For what you are suggesting, it does seem superior to bikes with larger engines.

I would look for an accessory to hold a spare gas can with it though. For most places about 100 miles is the needed range though... if there isn't a place within 100 miles that's probably better to be at the moment than where you are, there probably isn't anywhere anyway.