This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 04-27-2006
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Default Do NOT insult Italy any longer.

Okay?

This morning, approximately at 7:30 a.m., Italian time (GMT+1), an RPG grenade has hit an Italian Armed Forces' convoy that was departing from the base at Camp Mittica, outside Nassiriya, southern Iraq, to join Romanian and local Iraqi troopers in normal patrol and public safety duties.

An Iveco VM-90 4x4 four-wheeled, mildly-armored patrol vehicle was devastated from the explosion. Three Italian militaries and one Romanian soldier died in the attack.

Cpt. NICOLA CIARDELLI, 185th RAO - "Folgore" Paratroopers brigade - Born in Pisa, on 9/11/1972, was inserted in the Italian "Antica Babilonia" mission to Iraq as a linking officier with the PJOC (Provincial Joint Operation Center). Skilled soldier, he had attended at the 173th Course at the Modena Military Academy, getting a degree in Military Strategic Sciences in 1991, subsequently attending the Course for Joint Staff commanders. He had participated in the Italian missions abroad as follows: Bosnia, 1999; Kosovo, 2002; Afghanistan, 2003; Iraq, 2004-2006. He had attended and passed severe courses as a Para-Jumper, as a reconnaissance patrol expert, target acquisition, mountain combat and Ranger activities. Currently, Cpt. Ciardelli was part of the 185th RAO regiment, a Rapid Target Acquisition ?lite unit.
Leaves wife, ANTONELLA TORNAR, and a 2-months-old son, NICOLO', born in February.

St. Sgt. FRANCO LATTANZIO: 38-y-o., born in Pacentro (L'Aquila), Staff Sergeant Lattanzio, as a member of the Italian Carabinieri corps (Italian Military Police) was in Iraq since December the 3th, 2005, joint to the MSU - Multinational Specialized Unit to police the peace-enforcing areas of operations. Not married, orphan of both parents, leaves a sister currently living in Australia, and another sister and a brother currently living in Pacentro, southern Italy.

Sgt. CARLO DE TRIZIO, 27-y-o., born in BISCEGLIE, southern Italy, was a Carabinieri Sergeant previously detached in the metropolitan area of Rome with police duties. Sent to Iraq last April the 14th, leaves wife and children.

Pvt. BOGDAN HANCU, 28-y-o., Romanian soldier, member of the Romanian Military Police, was part of the 100-men Romanian force joint to the Italian military groupment of Camp Mittica.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 04-27-2006

Default How predictable.

PT,

Are you not the same person who decries the Italian presence in "Big American Nutcrasher"'s war, and who would never fight outside of the EU? Aren't you the one who declared that Fascist Italians sent to fight the USSR should have fragged their officers?

You can't criticise the war as illegal, immoral, etc., and then wrap these soldiers' deaths around yourself like the Italian flag.

You're a hypocrite, plain and simple. Not to mention a cynical opportunist and a ghoul.

If you can't beat them, join them. Then beat them. Barring that, arrange to have them beaten.

Last edited by Bacon Guy : 04-27-2006 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-27-2006
Super Moderator

I'm sorry for your loss PT, may their families be given peace in their time of tragedy.
Old 04-27-2006

Unhappy Oh, my friend...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon Guy
PT,

Are you not the same person who decries the Italian presence in "Big American Nutcrasher"'s war, and who would never fight outside of the EU? Aren't you the one who declared that Fascist Italians sent to fight the USSR should have fragged their officers?

You can't criticise the war as illegal, immoral, etc., and then wrap these soldiers' deaths around yourself like the Italian flag.

You're a hypocrite, plain and simple. Not to mention a cynical opportunist and a ghoul.

Yes, I am against the war, but this doesn't means that I am happy that those soldiers died today. I am saddened that you can not understand this. Do you think that your fellow countrymen that are against the war in Iraq (and there are many) party when an American soldier dies? No: every American death gives them more pain and more force to continue their struggle to make this war end.

I didn't declared that "Fascist Italians sent to fight the USSR should have fragged their officers". I declared that: -ITALIANS- sent to fight the USSR should have fragged their -FASCIST- officers. That's different: when you are fighting a WRONG war on the WRONG side, you have all the right to rebel against WRONG orders.
Italians in Iraq today are fighting a WRONG war on the RIGHT side. This doesn't means that the WAR is right; nonetheless, I don't party when an Italian, or American, soldier dies.

I'm writing these lines with no polemic spirit at all. I wish you could understand this.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 04-27-2006

I never said you were celbrating...what I said was it's wrong for you to try and say "Hey, don't pick on Italy because we've lost soldiers too!", when you clearly disapprove of the war.

So fighting the USSR was wrong in your opinion...you are a commie.

I won't even ask you why you think the war is wrong- it doesn't matter at all what you think because you've shown that you're not thinking- only regurgitating tired leftist memes.

If you can't beat them, join them. Then beat them. Barring that, arrange to have them beaten.
Old 04-28-2006

Default Just explain me this concept...

Quote:
So fighting the USSR was wrong in your opinion...

You are saying that the Nazis were -RIGHT- in invading the USSR during World War 2? Man, this is like being NUTS!

Quote:
You are a commie.

You bet I am. I never believed to all that shit of USSR as the "Empire of Evil". They were not crazy, nor stupid. I -STRONGLY- doubt that they would have ever put into practice the so-much-feared invasion of the Western Europe or, worse, an attack to the mainland USA; all they did was to follow the United States in their armaments escalation because none of the two countries felt safe; paradoxally this mutual fear prevented the nuclear war.
I am sad to see that people like you is still brainwashed from the "Red Dawn" propaganda... IMHO the worst flick ever made (and NOT for a matter of political belief, that movie sucks, period).

Old 04-28-2006

Default Oh, come on...

Quote:
You are saying that the Nazis were -RIGHT- in invading the USSR during World War 2?

No. Pay attention- it's always right to fight commies, for one thing. For another, you pretend as though fragging- which soldiers regard as dishonorable- were even an option in the Fascist armies. Please. Besides, few are the Europeans willing to give their lives for the sake of greater good.

Quote:
I never believed to all that shit of USSR as the "Empire of Evil".

180 million dead for your evil fucking ideology...

I'm sure you'll trot out all the standard European salon-class apologies and excuses for the world's evil communist dictators, like "Oh, well they weren't practicing real Marxism...".

Marx was a bigot and spendthrift.

Or maybe you'll try the "Oh, they weren't ideologically pure enough."

Purge, anyone?

Finally, you'll dismiss the sources as biased...without showing how or why they are supposedly biased. This ought to be fun to watch you spin like a dervish.

Quote:
They were not crazy

Uh, they thought they would bury us, right?

Quote:
nor stupid

Uh, they thought they would bury us, right?

Quote:
I -STRONGLY- doubt that they would have ever put into practice the so-much-feared invasion of the Western Europe

This is true only- ONLY- because of the presence of American armed forces in Europe. Not at all because of anything you euro-sissies could or would do. And people like you, who feel that 60 years entitles you to hate us again, were protesting our presence the entire time. Better a Russian boot on your throat than an American one on the ground, I suppose.

Quote:
or, worse, an attack to the mainland USA

That's because they planned on surrounding us. They tried that, remember? Chavez is trying it again with his oil money. Do they teach history in Italy? How about reading?

Quote:
all they did was to follow the United States in their armaments escalation

Heh. Just reacting to the aggressive imperialists. No motives of their own. Nobody being buried here.

Quote:
because none of the two countries felt safe

As if the US actually posed a military threat to them. Heh again.

Quote:
I am sad to see that people like you is still brainwashed from the "Red Dawn" propaganda

Again with the leftist elitism...anyone who disagrees is brainwashed, stupid, or evil. Actually, I base my position on a thorough reading of history. I don't know about you, but I know actual people who have lived under communism. They hate it, and woud like to kick the shit out of every Che or Mao T-shirt wearing university leftist they see.

Quote:
IMHO the worst flick ever made

Never seen it.

Old 04-29-2006

Default Belated reply, but in response to Bacon Guy's first reply...

PT's not a hypocrite because of that reason. But he is because of a much more basic reason.

PT, you say that these deaths are good enough reason for us to no longer criticize Italian policies.

I can point you to a thousand US deaths. You gave up your right to criticize US policies the moment you started this thread, yet I can see clearly that you still do. So I state my opinion now for everyone on this board: It is open season on Italian policies.
Old 04-29-2006

Default Addendum

However, despite the very open disagreements (mild term), I will say this.

Anyone who has died fighting terrorists like this deserves no small amount of respect, no matter what nation or what policies they have.

These terrorists are cowardly murdering bastards that have killed thousands upon thousands in the name of their supposedly most sacred beliefs, and have disgraced their religion in the eyes of the entire world in so doing.

(As for the debate about Islam being a religion of peace... a man named Billy Waugh has stated that he has witnessed true practice of the religion and says it to be in general a religion of peace. Billy Waugh entered service in 1948, was in Special Forces in Vietnam, was part of the operation that apprehended Carlos the Jackal, and at age 72 was on the ground with Special Forces in Afghanistan. One Silver Star, 4 Bronze Stars for Valor, 4 Commendation Ribbons for Valor, 2 Combat Infantryman Badges and 8 Purple Hearts. If he says it's a religion of peace, I believe him.)
Old 04-30-2006

Default All due respect to Mr. Waugh

Billy Waugh is a great soldier...

But with all due respect, he doesn't know what on earth he's talking about. A few nice Muslims doesn't change 1300 years of history.

Quote:
I can point you to a thousand US deaths. You gave up your right to criticize US policies the moment you started this thread, yet I can see clearly that you still do. So I state my opinion now for everyone on this board: It is open season on Italian policies.