This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 09-11-2006
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

Default Well, I had to ask about the burrowing because...

Smack dab in the middle of Uzbekistan (since you said central Uzbekistan) is Zarafshon... a mining town.
Old 09-11-2006

Default Ah jeezus...

The economy in Uzbekistan is based on self sufficiency. They import just about nothing, and put a duty on imports so high nobody wants to.

They're the world's 7th largest producer of gold, they're also a significant producer of gold, natural gas, coal, copper, silver, and uranium.

There's no way in hell they're going to let anybody put a nuke into their mines if the bugs do get in there.
Old 09-11-2006

Default God DAMN!

I can't believe I missed this. Uzbekistan is the world's /4th largest producer, and 2nd largest exporter/ of cotton. Cotton and mining run their entire economy. Fallout could wipe out entire fields of cotton, and I mentioned the mines already.

I think our nuclear option went out the window, unless we intend to make it a /really/ interesting scenario by adding civil unrest and all that shit too.
Old 09-12-2006
Super Moderator

Uzbekistan would not be an issue. It would have already been evacuated in mass. Comet impact, remember? Eight days warning? Trust me, most of the population got the hell out of dodge.

And frankly, when dealing with matters such as these, the calls are up to America, Russia, China and Europe. No one is going to give a shit what Uzbekistan thinks. Odds are there won't be an Uzbekistan left after this is over, no matter how we play it.

[The same would hold true for almost any small nation, had it been the unlucky one].

I still bet the doctrine and plans of the United States, Russia and China, in the event of something like that above [and trust me, they've all considered it], doubtlessly involve the use of nuclear weapons, simply to reduce the biological threat, if nothing else. Even if this thing were to land in the mainland United States, we'd nuke it.

Last edited by UZI4U : 09-12-2006 at 12:59 AM.