This Day in History

Daily Cartoon provided by Bravenet

Old 04-27-2006
Super Moderator

Default The end of model rocketry and pyrotechnics in the United States.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission has issued an injuction, I'm going to post some of the more interesting parts of it here:

Quote:
Not sell, give away or otherwise distribute any of the following Metals for which the particle size is finer than 100 mesh (or particles less than 150 microns in size) to any recipient who does not possess a valid manufacturing license for explosives issued by the ATF:

Aluminum and Aluminum alloys
Magnalium metal
Magnesium metal
Magnesium/Aluminum alloys
Titanium and Titanium alloys
Zinc metal
Zirconium metal

Quote:
Not sell, give away or otherwise distribute any of the following chemicals to any recipient who does not possess a valid manufacturing license for explosives issued by the ATF:

Antimony and antimony compounds
Benzoate compounds
Nitrate compounds
Permanganate compounds
Chlorate compounds
Perchlorate compounds
Salicylate compounds
Sulfur
Quote:
or any other chemical or metal listed at 16 C.F.R. ? 1507.2 to any recipient who does not possess a valid manufacturing license for explosives issued by the ATF"

Quote:
Not sell, give away or otherwise distribute any fuse in an amount greater than 25 feet per year per recipient who does not possess a valid manufacturing license for explosives issued by the ATF.

In addition, the injunction requires extensive record keeping (photocopies of drivers licenses and, if applicable, ATF licenses for all recipients, as well as detailed invoices maintained for at least seven years) and will require suppliers to provide those records to CPSC at any time on demand.

Without aluminum dust, model rocketry might as well be abandon.

Keep in mind, there are no laws which ban aluminum dust. There are laws that prohibit its use in commercial fireworks, but there is no law that prohibits owning/selling it.

But we don't need laws anymore, just injunctions.

I'm still trying to figure out if we're still allowed by our zampolits to make aluminum dust... If not, machine shops better be careful to not machine anymore aluminum .
Old 04-27-2006
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Armorer

This is totally bogus and can't be serious--
Elemental sulphur is inert for one thing and used in everything from gardening to pest control to art.
Nitrates are commonly used for agriculture-- let's not forget the current restrictions for amonium nitrate...
Chlorate compounds can refer to complex compounds as ChFlo2 to pool chemicals to sodium chloride (table salt).
Canon fans are able to buy fuse in spools--
As to Magnesium, they might as well pull all model rocket igniters since it's nothing more than wire tipped in the shit.

This is retarded-- i mean...c'mon...most HED (homemade explosive devices) are made using liquids and semi-permeables. You DON'T need elemental nitrates to mix amonia and diesel to make a crude slurry...
What next?
No saltpeter?
saltpeter+charcoal+ammonia+nitrates = gunpowder.
mix urine, charcoal, saltpeter, and bat shit (guano) and theoretically you can make a crude blackpowder.
Does the BATF expect bat's to stop shitting?!

Quote:
If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping a human face...forever" ~George Orwell
Old 04-27-2006
Super Senior member - Has no life and spends a lot of time here

You... must... be... KIDDING, right?

Okay, in Italy the Gun market is regulated since more than 10 years by "Ministerial Memorandums" which are more or less the same thing of your ATF "letters"... but I still thought that in the "Land O' Liberty" the things were different.
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 04-30-2006

Send a message via MSN to B__

This cannot be serious. All of those substances have a bevy of uses outside rocketry. Plus powerful explosives can be made using a lot of things most people would never think of. We might as well ban half the periodic table.
Old 05-02-2006
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by B__
This cannot be serious. All of those substances have a bevy of uses outside rocketry. Plus powerful explosives can be made using a lot of things most people would never think of. We might as well ban half the periodic table.

How about peroxide and acetone, when are they going to outlaw those? You can make an explosive out of that nearly as powerful as TNT.

I really don't think this has anything to do with explosives, I really think it's just an attempt to end model rocketry/pyrotechnics, after all, those noisy things are testosterone promoting, and that's SOOOOO un-PC.
Old 05-13-2006

Default Woah, for once British Law isn't as hardcore

And we've had to deal with nutcase terrorists for nearly a hundred years. Mind you, getting hold of a firework out of season is pretty difficult over hear. But for some reason you can easily buy flashbangs, smoke grenades and electrically detonated maroons, and the shop down the road sells model rocket propellent by the crate load!
Old 05-13-2006

Default One question, RUSTY...

...I have read several letters to Italian gun magazines, sent by British-Italian citizens living in the UK. Is that true that there are steps being moved to allow again the British citizens to have short arms (pistols, revolvers) and semi-automatic rifles?
"It is criminal to teach a man not to defend himself, when he is the constant victim of brutal attacks. It is legal and lawful to own a shotgun or a rifle. We believe in obeying the law." -- Malcolm X

"We (atheists) act in good conscience because we believe in moral principles, not because we expect a reward in Heaven." -- Margherita Hack

Old 05-13-2006

Default Silly British Firearm Laws...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-The Italian Commie
...I have read several letters to Italian gun magazines, sent by British-Italian citizens living in the UK. Is that true that there are steps being moved to allow again the British citizens to have short arms (pistols, revolvers) and semi-automatic rifles?

I?m not aware of any publicly announced intent to relax firearm control in Britain, though there have been calls to relax the firearm laws, but these have fallen on deaf ears. Most notably it was widely criticised that British pistol Olympians were unable to train in Britain with any other than a air-pistol.

Something to consider is that the firearms laws in the Isle of Man and Northern Ireland allow possession of pistols and semi-automatics. And as long as you can justify it ?personal protection? is good cause in NI.
Old 05-14-2006

Default Isle of Man and Northern Ireland gun laws...

... I was aware of that, but then, why people who had pistols and semiauto guns in the Greater Britain didn't moved them there and stored them in the safes of shooting ranges, rather than having them confiscated by Gestapo? I knew from those letters I told, that many people did it, moving their guns even to France.

Old 05-14-2006

Default Nazi Gun Control

What really irritates me about the whole gun legislation is it's something that the Police and the Government have decided it's unacceptable without bothering to consult the public opinion.

If the government (technically it's the Police) wants to ban something just because there has been the occasionally high profile murder or assault, then banning possession of any knife over 2 inches without good reason will be next considering that assault and murders by a knife is substantially higher than that of a gun.

All this and what is the biggest joke is that we are one of most repressive countries when it comes to weapons, yet one of the worlds largest arms exporters.

I have nothing against logical gun control, and fully support hefty sentances for gun crime, the fact is that a person doesn't turn into a instant murdering lunatic as soon as they come into possesion of a firearm, but this is something that the British Government fails to grasp.

Last edited by RustyBayonet : 05-14-2006 at 03:47 PM. Reason: Forgot the title :/